MSI Fortifies Arsenal of G Series Gaming Laptops

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI Computer Corp, a leading manufacturer of computer hardware products and solutions, unleashes the GT780DXR and GT683DXR, two mobile gaming powerhouse laptops featuring the NVIDIA© GeForce© GTX 570M graphics processing unit (GPU) and optional Blu-ray burner. Part of MSI’s renowned G Series family of gaming laptops, the new units are designed for the serious gamer seeking unmatched power with an unprecedented immersive experience.

Leading the fleet, the GT780DXR comes in a brushed aluminum chassis with 17.3-inches of Full HD Non Reflection display and SteelSeries programmable backlit keyboard. In addition to its high performance NVIDIA© GeForce© GPU and Intel® Core™ i7 processor, the gaming workhorse is supported by 12 GB of DDR3 system memory and 1TB of hard disk with Raid 0 or no redundancy. For gamers craving even more dominance, the unit can be amped up with Blu-ray burner, 1.5TB of hard disk and 16GB of DDR3 memory.

I am very interested in this laptop. However, I notice that it does not have optimus technology. What is the battery life like when not used for gaming? Say for instance if I was just web browsing.

but you can get a clevo with a 6990m or gtx 485m for about the same price and those will both beat the 570m by about 10-20%. Granted these two cards are both 100w cards and the 570m is 75-100w.

I agree with Sojuuk completely. Even though the sager probably costs more, I would gladly pay it for the peace of mind that they offer great customer support, should an issue arise. I haven't heard very good things about MSI's customer service and for a purchase this large it becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Ya my bad, I must have had asus on the brain at the time. I meant MSI. Here is a link to a comparison of the customer service of a few top named brands.

Last edited:
Ha I just tried using your post to I guess instill confidence in msi and asus computers, but no I didn't miss the point :-D.

Yes, I am also a bit worried about the msi reliability. Could not find any stats on this because apparently they are new in the laptop market segment. Elsewhere, I have learned that Asus and Toshiba make the most reliable laptops while HP is at the bottom of the barrel historically. Anyway, I have my gaming laptop purchase narrowed down to Asus, Sager, or MSI. Will go with a 17" model.

I have a asus g51jx-x3 , and I freaking love it just wish I had opted for the a1 version for more ram ( I run alot of vmware at school)... I've also heard great things about sager and msi , but personally (no data tests , just preference ) I would choose an asus or sager(really good bang for the buck I hear)...

I agree with Sojuuk completely. Even though the sager probably costs more, I would gladly pay it for the peace of mind that they offer great customer support, should an issue arise. I haven't heard very good things about MSI's customer service and for a purchase this large it becomes an issue.

I speced a malibal out which uses the clevo base same as sager and the price was within $50. I was directly comparing both models they described.

Can someone explain to me why a Blu-ray player is considered a gaming upgrade?

Yes, I am also a bit worried about the msi reliability. Could not find any stats on this because apparently they are new in the laptop market segment.
MSI has been making laptops for years. They are definitely not new to the market.

Back