GameStop to Start Accepting iOS Device Trade-Ins?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Rumor has it that GameStop will soon be taking used iPhone and iPad trade-ins for store credit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if GameStop gives you $300 credit for your iDevice and you buy six $49.99 games (they paid $5 each for)... well, you see where I am going with that. :D

We’ve received a word from several sources that GameStop will soon begin offering the entire lineup of Apple’s popular iOS mobile devices such as iPhones, iPods and iPads at their stores. The announcement was made to dealers at an annual trade show in Las Vegas this past week. Also, as of this week, GameStop began accepting iOS device trade-ins for in-store credits.

Depending on how much credit they give you, it could be a good deal. Of course knowing Gamestop, they'll probably stiff you on that end too and give $100 credit for an iPhone 4.

They will have to have a way of verifying if the iPhones are reported lost or stolen before they accept them, otherwise they can't be re-activated.

weird. Starting to sound like a pawnshop. Except lacking those Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games I pray to see every time I enter one.

Depending on how much credit they give you, it could be a good deal. Of course knowing Gamestop, they'll probably stiff you on that end too and give $100 credit for an iPhone 4.

Yeah no kidding. You would make hundreds more, in CASH, by selling it privately versus trading it in to gamestop. Still.. I suppose if you needed to buy a game THAT DAY and there was no other option (and your ass is somehow dead broke), this is now an alternative.

Yeah no kidding. You would make hundreds more, in CASH, by selling it privately versus trading it in to gamestop. Still.. I suppose if you needed to buy a game THAT DAY and there was no other option (and your ass is somehow dead broke), this is now an alternative.

The benefit is that you can take it into Gamestop and be done with it immediately. The lack of hassle is the reason I end up trading stuff in there.

Last time a company offered trade-ins for iPhones it was $99 max

I was wondering is that all part of an Apple plan to control used iPhones, iPods and iPads from selling to cheap on the used market. If they capture the majority of the used market through $99 dollars and a contract at ATT and now Gamestop and other high volume resellers of their products.and artificially keep the price high, that will dictate the new entry level prices staying high considering how many millions are floating around out there. Reminds me of when Ford started buying up the large auto wreckers years ago to control the new and used parts supply.

They have had this sign in our mall Gamestop in Hurst, Tx for months now, ipods and ipads, but no mention of price for each item...

The thing is..... They pay peanuts for 99% of the things they buy.... and iphones are popular. They buy everything 'used' that is popular, and is used for video games

I'd say that if you're dead broke and your motive to sell your iPhone is so that you can buy games then your priorities are not in good order.

If they "paid" you slightly above used market value in credit, they could make this work. The actual cash value they're spending is much lower, and the end user, if they're going to spend that much on games anyway, benefits.

Sorry, you can get $150 for a non working Iphones, thunderbolts, or galaxies. I do not see GS beating the sort of prices you can get running a Craigslist ad.

This has potential for the buyer if you are patient and are a power up member, and watch SD. GS will come out with some coupon, and people will figure how to beat the system and you will trade in an xbox, and a couple of games and get one for $50.00 at some point. Like this spring, they were doing decent deals on trading in older 360's. Between the coupons, for power up, and getting 52.00 out of a copy of BLOPS I paid 30.00 for, I got a Xbox slim with another 25.00 in store credit and was able to pick up a large HD for it from Ebay and was only out 22.00, from trading in a 3 year Xbox Elite. The same thing will happen to the Ipads.

weird. Starting to sound like a pawnshop. Except lacking those Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games I pray to see every time I enter one.

When I was working in a game shop a while back, this guy came into the shop with a big bag and said "how much can I get for trading all fo these in?" In the bag were like 60-70 saturn games. But I had no money at the time, and the store (obviously) didn't sell saturn games, so they were sent down the road the another shop. Later that week while clearing out the stock room an unsold copy of Soul calibur and some racing game for the saturn (can't remember what) were found in some corner, so as I was the only one who wanted them I got both. As I didn't have a dreamcast and the the racing game didn't look good, I sold them on for a tidy sum. Never did check out the other shop... Maybe you should take to hanging around games shops? :D

If they're going to be a pawn shop, they need to be regulated as such.

They're probably buying hundreds of thousands worth of stolen games every year. Now high-theft consumer electronics devices?

Back