Samsung Removes Galaxy Tab 7.7 from Exhibition

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Under a Dusseldorf court order, Samsung has removed all traces of its Galaxy Tab 7.7 from its exhibition booth at the IFA just days after the official launch. The original suit was brought by Apple which applied to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and was extended to cover the GT 7.7.

Apple claims the appearance of the larger Galaxy Tab is too similar to that of its iPad 2, the design of which is registered with the European Union's Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market.

Nice to know Job's departure hasn't kept Apple from being absolute patent trolls by themselves

Why is Apple so afraid of competition and a level playing field? It's a tablet, they all look alike a do pretty much the same thing.

How is it that MS gets fined for a stupid integrated browser and apple can get a court order to remove the competition. The EU courts are a joke.

How is it that MS gets fined for a stupid integrated browser and apple can get a court order to remove the competition. The EU courts are a joke.

lol, MS should of known better - attack the competition, don't let them attack you! :p

How is the galaxy tab similar to the ipad? Its lighter, thinner, much better screen and its doesn't need a 3rd party hack to play flash content. I just don't see the similarities.

I can't help but imagine if Ford operated the same way as apple. There would be only ford vehicles since every other vehicle looks like Ford's first one.

BECAUSE APPLE HOLDS NO ILLEGAL MONOPOLIES OF ANY KIND THATS WHY. Hate brain dead idiots like you who think any large player in tech is a monopoly and that all monopoly action is illegal.

BECAUSE APPLE HOLDS NO ILLEGAL MONOPOLIES OF ANY KIND THATS WHY. Hate brain dead idiots like you who think any large player in tech is a monopoly and that all monopoly action is illegal.

You sure about that? Because the way Apple runs its iTunes store absolutely reeks of a company abusing its market position. See: Apple trying to force online stores like Amazon to give it a 30% cut of in-app purchases.

The Tab 7.7 doesn't have the same size or form factor of the iPad, and any screenshot of it with widgets plastered all over the homescreen looks nothing like iOS either. :rolleyes: This lawsuit shit is ridiculous.

Good. Get rid of the piece of crap tablet from the floor.

You were conspicuously missing from the threads talking about the bullshit Apple corporate security (apparently with the complicity of the SFPD, with cops standing there to give the color of authority) pulled over their missing iPhone 5...

Would be nice to see Apple let their products do the talking...instead of their patent lawyers. As long as they beat down the competition they can keep making one-button devices for idiots.

galaxy-tab-7.7.jpg
ipad-all-angles.jpg

Can you imagine what the LCD TV landscape would be like right now if patent lawsuits had been tossed about for LCD and plasma televisions? ZOMG this Samsung TV looks astonishlingly like this Sony one! Give me a fucking break...

Can you imagine what the LCD TV landscape would be like right now if patent lawsuits had been tossed about for LCD and plasma televisions? ZOMG this Samsung TV looks astonishlingly like this Sony one! Give me a fucking break...
I think it's more strange that people just spout their opinion without any real sense of what they're talking about...

case in point:
"Pioneer may be licking its wounds, but at least there's one bright spot on an otherwise dark end-of-year. The US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Marshall (read: patent troll heaven) recently found that "Samsung willfully infringed two Pioneer patents covering plasma display technology," leading to a settlement which involves Samsung handing Pioneer a check for $59,351,480."
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/04/pioneer-wins-plasma-patent-case-over-samsung-awarded-59-3-mill/

God damn, don't have a conniption fit. You were the first person in the entire thread to even say the word monopoly.

I think it's more strange that people just spout their opinion without any real sense of what they're talking about...

case in point:
"Pioneer may be licking its wounds, but at least there's one bright spot on an otherwise dark end-of-year. The US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Marshall (read: patent troll heaven) recently found that "Samsung willfully infringed two Pioneer patents covering plasma display technology," leading to a settlement which involves Samsung handing Pioneer a check for $59,351,480."
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/04/pioneer-wins-plasma-patent-case-over-samsung-awarded-59-3-mill/

Yeah, display technology. NOT because the damn TV looked similar to Pioneer's!

The pictures of the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab that I've seen shows a striking resemblance to the Iphone 3GS/4 and the iPad. More so, then any other Android device makers product....

Even Samsungs laptops are starting to look like MacBooks. I realize there's only so much you can do with a tablet but they are strikingly suspicious.

This most certianly looks like an iPhone, at least with my Eyes. It even has a little WP7 vibe too!

This most certianly looks like an iPhone, at least with my Eyes. It even has a little WP7 vibe too!

It would look like an iPhone if the iPhone had:
a chrome ring around the home button
a back button
a context menu button
a larger screen
a larger body
scrolling widgets
a chrome edge
round buttons
no external antenna
a plastic back
Super Amoled+ screen
customizable interface
micro usb slot
removable battery cover
etc, etc, etc

Yeah, display technology. NOT because the damn TV looked similar to Pioneer's!
"display technology" = brightness in one filing

your post that I responded to was think of where we'd be if these kinds of lawsuits happened over LCD and plasma. fact is, these kinds of suits occur all the time.

here's a more accurate picture of what was going on at the time of Pioneer's filings (you would have found this out if you bothered to google the cases and do even a cursory glance at the articles that came up):
"Samsung is also in the courts with Matsushita and Fujitsu, and was previously in discussion with Pioneer about licensing technology."

"LG and Matsushita settled a similar patent dispute in 2005 by signing a cross-licensing agreement."

The reason this one is bothering you so much (and why it's in the "news" section here) is because it involves Apple. Other than that, you have no idea the merits of this case, any other case, or really anything at all in regard to patent litigation.

patent trolls lmfao

I swear people just throw derogatory terms around whenever they can regardless of what the meaning is.

Aside from the fact that Apple actually makes things vs. a company that simply exists to litigate from a law office without any actual products, Jobs himself is the lead on hundreds of patents whereas most CEO's file maybe a dozen maximum patents during their tenure.

"display technology" = brightness in one filing

your post that I responded to was think of where we'd be if these kinds of lawsuits happened over LCD and plasma. fact is, these kinds of suits occur all the time.

here's a more accurate picture of what was going on at the time of Pioneer's filings (you would have found this out if you bothered to google the cases and do even a cursory glance at the articles that came up):
"Samsung is also in the courts with Matsushita and Fujitsu, and was previously in discussion with Pioneer about licensing technology."

"LG and Matsushita settled a similar patent dispute in 2005 by signing a cross-licensing agreement."

The reason this one is bothering you so much (and why it's in the "news" section here) is because it involves Apple. Other than that, you have no idea the merits of this case, any other case, or really anything at all in regard to patent litigation.

Blah blah blah, the gist of it is still that Apple is suing Samsung claiming that their products LOOK LIKE the iPhone/iPad. My LCD TV analogy was about LOOKS, not display technology. God fucking forbid a touchscreen phone or tablet have a glass display with a bezel around it. :rolleyes:

It would look like an iPhone if the iPhone had:
a chrome ring around the home button
a back button
a context menu button
a larger screen
a larger body
scrolling widgets
a chrome edge
round buttons
no external antenna
a plastic back
Super Amoled+ screen
customizable interface
micro usb slot
removable battery cover
etc, etc, etc

That's cool and all but I'm talking about Physical Appearance and IMO It looks like an iPhone.

What do you expect a touchscreen device to look like? :rolleyes:

Pretty much every item in that list was describing a physical feature.

Like someone else mentioned, everything on my list has to do with physical appearance.

Apple always goes the minimalist route so of course they aren't gonna have an SD Card Reader, Micro USB or a removable battery etc.

I just can't see how any one can look at that device and not think "iPhone 4" unless you straight up hate Apple in which case it COULD be an iPhone 4 with an S on the back and people would still call BS.

Here are some examples of other "touch screen devices" that don't scream iPhone. Including one made by Samsung.

Back