SG05 + GTX570 DS HD

fr500

[H]ard|Gawd
Well not quite, I just finished cable management on my little rig, results are a mixed bag. First of all my system:

Before:
- Case: Silverstone SG05B (stock 300w SFX PSU)
- Motherboard: DFI MI P55 T36
- CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.45Ghz with a Corsair H50
- RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz
- HDD: Samsung HM500JI
- Cooler: Corsair H50
- GPU: EVGA GTS 250 1GB

After:
- Case: Silverstone SG05B (ATX PSU MOD)
- Motherboard: DFI MI P55 T36
- CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.45Ghz with a Corsair H50
- RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz
- HDD: Samsung HM500JI
- Cooler: Corsair H50
- GPU: EVGA GTX 570 HD DS

Now for the fun stuff.

Before the last mods I never really checked temps on the GTS250 as it never got too loud so I was never worried. CPU used to idle at 20c on this little shoe box and never gets past 60c under gaming. Perfectly stable, cool and quiet. Usually sits behind my 40" TV for gaming. Now I modded it to use an ATX PSU (modular) and got a GTX 570 DS HD. Not many choices around here (Ecuador) so I picked up this one as it fits in my little shoebox. All good, performance is awesome, and my overall temps are just about the same, CPU idles at an astonishing 19c and GPU idles at 39c.

Now for the bad. GPU fan noise is unbearable under load. Temps are pretty high even with GPU fans at 100%, around 85c. If I set up a profile with precision topping out at 55% fan speed it's bearable but temps reach 96c, saw a 98c reading today but was under furmark. This really worries me, I don't want to kill the card. I'm looking for an aftermarket cooler but the requirements are pretty strict in my case.

I can't go wider than 40mm and I can't exceed the PCB length. I thought I could fit a prolimatech MK-13 but it says 50mm on the spec sheet. The other option is opening the side and fitting a wider cooler with a pair of 120mm fans or an AIO water cooling solution.

DSC04406.JPG

DSC04407.JPG

Pictures here

Last edited:
Well...nothing to show!!! it's so easy! just make 3 holes, cut/bend the psu retention tab and voila!, I may fabricate a little piece to reduce stress on the case's back tho I don't want it to bend

I've heard horrible reviews of that "EVGA GTX 570 HD DS"

It's got horrible loud fans, there is no way to silence them other than to run them at low rpm's and heat up the gpu.

Where did you read that? maybe I can remove the shroud and the fans and change them?

Here (it so strange that EVGA even released a model that is so flawed)

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1119305&mpage=1

&

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1165477&mpage=1

Plus if you go to the newegg reviews of the card, you'll find complaints on it's loudness.

On the solution front:

1.) return it if possible.
2.) sell it, if minimal loss, and get a better model.
3.) Attach 2 80mm fans to the heatsink after removing shroud, should be much quiter (not sure if it'll fit in the small case, maybe try low profile 80mm fans

images

The fan solution should work, gonna buy some noctuas and test, thanks! Otherwise I'll go with the Antec Kuhler mod :D

no it's just some pic of the net.

Just gives you an idea of what it'll look like.

My advice for what it's worth:

Zip-tie the fans unto the heatsink and use a fan controller to control the fans.

That way you can turn ramp up the fans when gaming, and turn them down when just surfing the net, idling.

and, happy modding, it's the most fun part of PC. I love modding.

Been thinking about this mod a lot, would it really work, I think the EVGA fans are 70mm, what size fans do you think I should get? 92mm?

do you have any case fans lying around? best to use them, rather than buying anything else.

best advice would be to get a normal reference 570, if its possible to trade yours with a slight loss.

if not then modding might help.

Back