Bandwidth issue, Auto Negotiation?

c0rpt3ch

Weaksauce
I have a side client who's recently upgraded their internet service from a single T1 to a 100mb fiber line. TW Telecom brought the fiber line into their building and run it through a Cisco 3400 which hands it off to TW Telecom's Adtran 4430. If I take my laptop and assign it the appropriate IP and subnet and plug straight into the Adtran I get close to full speeds so I can rule out the ISP (I think).

It comes out of the Adtran to a Cisco RVS4000 setup as a gateway and then feeds off to a Cisco SG200-50 and Cisco 248G switches. Anything from the RVS4000 and beyond on the customer side will only receive a quarter of the speeds I get if I plug straight to the Adtran. I talked to the tech from TW Telecom and they have confirmed the Adtran is hard coded for 1GB Full Duplex speeds so I'm going to assume the RVS4000 needs to match that. I'm not 100% sure on how to make sure the RVS4000 is set to that. In the Admin GUI for the RVS I've gone under the L2 Switch Port Settings and set them to match the Adtran but it makes no difference. Not even too sure if it's where I should be looking but since there doesn't seem to be any other section for it I figured what the hell.

At this point I'm assuming I'm getting some sort of port duplex conflict and need to figure out where to make adjustments. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Since you think that its set for 1GB on the RVS4000, it just might be that it can't push more than 25mbps. Remember, 1GB is only Full duplex.

That's a SOHO router, can it even do more than 25Mb/s? Personally, I doubt it.

Other than that, cisco stuff is notorious for not doing auto-negotiation properly, check all the ports between your PC and the Internet hand off for speed and especially duplex.

Check the interface stats, if you're seeing a lot of CRC errors, you almost certainly have a duplex mismatch.

I'm guessing that router can't handle that amount of throughput.

I'm starting to think that too. No matter how I configure the RVS4000 I can't get it to disperse the full bandwidth.

I did notice a Cisco ASA 5505 sitting in the corner that they're not using. I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better option to run instead of the RVS4000.

Yes, the 5505 definitely can. I've pushed one of ours easily in the the 90's.
The learning curve is a bit steeper, but well worth it. (for your career as well).

The upload (LAN to WAN) throughput of 516 Mbps(!) is a new high for the SmallNetBuilder test bench, and was obviously obtained using gigabit connections on both WAN and LAN sides. But the 14 Mbps download (WAN to LAN) throughput, while sufficient for many cable, T1 and DSL connections, isn't on par with latest-generation products like the Buffalo WZR-AG300NH that provide >100 Mbps wire speed for both up and download.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...-features-but-slow-downloads?showall=&start=3

on the same note
5 March 2010: Readers have reported that current firmware has fixed the unbalanced up and download speed problem and improved performance.

firmware on that thing up to par/recent?

I actually just downloaded the newest firmware for it, I'll need to come in over the weekend and update that so that there isn't any downtime. If that doesn't work I will be looking into setting the ASA5505 up to handle the job.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Back