Cops On The Hunt For Duplicitous iPlank Scammers

HardOCP News

[H] News
I didn't realize people were still falling for this scam. It used to be called the "brick in the box" scam and it was VCRs instead of iPads.

That is why you ALWAYS ask to see merchandise before you buy. Surprised the woman didn't think it was a shady deal to begin with... or checked it in her car or something.

Yeah, wow...You'd buy a $300+ item from some "dudes in a McDonalds parking lot" and not even check it out first? You deserve to get ripped off.

She CLEARLY had to know if it was legit, it was stolen goods. So too bad so sad, nothing's free in life

I always buy my electronics from guys in parking lots, especially those with gold toofs.

Yeah, wow...You'd buy a $300+ item from some "dudes in a McDonalds parking lot" and not even check it out first? You deserve to get ripped off.

Well she paid "only" $180...but yeah, talk about retarded. Yes, sure I'll buy a random unopened FedEx box o' surprises from you for hundreds of dollars, when I don't know you from Adam and you approach me unsolicited in a McD's parking lot. All of that equals = reliable and trustworthy to me!

Yeah, the best case scenario for her was that she bought a stolen iPad for $180 so I have no sympathy for her.

Well she paid "only" $180...but yeah, talk about retarded. Yes, sure I'll buy a random unopened FedEx box o' surprises from you for hundreds of dollars, when I don't know you from Adam and you approach me unsolicited in a McD's parking lot. All of that equals = reliable and trustworthy to me!

Don't forget the part where the main thing she remembers about their appearance is them flashing gold teeth at her.

McDowell told probers that the swindlers were driving “a white Impala with no rims and no tint.” One of the men, she noted, “had a gold tooth.”

Tell you wut, I buy a lot of suspect product from gentlemen that have this description, but none of it is electronics. :p

Ok While I never would have bought anything from someone in a parking lot I have one question for these people. Why do they never open the damn box before they buy the damn thing?

Tell you wut, I buy a lot of suspect product from gentlemen that have this description, but none of it is electronics. :p

Lol, no kidding...Sketchiest-sounding shit ever. The only way it could have been sketchier is if it was in a filthy, dark alley with hookers all around.

This is just proof that some people are so obsessed over Apple products, that they'll forgo common sense. (Also proves, they have a lot of dispensable income which makes them such prime targets for scammers and Apple iteself :))

This is just proof that some people are so obsessed over Apple products, that they'll forgo common sense. (Also proves, they have a lot of dispensable income which makes them such prime targets for scammers and Apple iteself :))

I'm certainly not the one to defend Apple, but I think all this really proves is that some people are just really fucking stupid. ;)

For things like this police should just laugh and point at the person until they are so embarrassed they go home. The only crime committed was nature not culling this woman from the gene pool.

She didn't open the box before handing over her cash. I have no sympathy.

I'm certainly not the one to defend Apple, but I think all this really proves is that some people are just really fucking stupid. ;)

You got that right. lol They need something similar to a Darwin award without the extremes of death. IRL troll award? :p

It's a play on the "it fell off the truck" scam.

A month or two ago a pair of guys was caught around here selling macbooks boxes from their car that actually contained a piece of ceramic tile. They ran into me in a parking lot last spring trying to get me to buy. It was in front of a Office Depot, so I figure they just watched for marks that they think are looking for electronics to make sure they are interested. It was the same general scam, name a price that's low but not too low but they'll take what you have, or follow you to a atm to get a little more (said this after I said I'll give you $10. It's all I got) They just try to make it sound like the deal of a lifetime and you are stupid for not taking it.

I'm confused, did she buy a piece of wood?

Well, she bought a package that she was told an iPad was in without looking inside the box. Which just says something about the people that scammed her too that they went to all the effort of making a wood imitation of an iPad when it wasn't needed in any way and nobody would have been fooled had it actually been requested to open the box.

I dont know if its just me being a ass, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone stupid enough to buy electronics out of the back of a car in a fast food parking lot. I mean do you really think someone is going to cut you THAT good of a deal? Then, you waiting to inspect things till you got home? I would of had them open the Fedex box WAY before any money left my hand.

Not so fast there. I hate Apple more then most [H]'ers do, but ppl do this with Sony TV's, PS3's and Xbox's. I would say any popular and high priced electronic at one point in time has suffered from this scam, and I doubt Apple fanboys are more susceptible too this since they are mostly willing to pay the high cost of there over-priced shit at there tacky iStore just to talk too fellow fanboys at the "genius" bar just to comfort each other after paying 2x more for the same shit we get. Its sort of there red badge of courage, paying MORE for shit, paying less!

kinda reminds me of the dummies paying full price for a wii box( or was it the ps3?) off e-bay a couple of years ago when they were hard to find and the adds clearly stated it was just the box, but people got all up in arms because they didn't read the add.

"Officer, the stolen iPad I bought turned out to be fake!"

Not so fast there. I hate Apple more then most [H]'ers do, but ppl do this with Sony TV's, PS3's and Xbox's. I would say any popular and high priced electronic at one point in time has suffered from this scam, and I doubt Apple fanboys are more susceptible too this since they are mostly willing to pay the high cost of there over-priced shit at there tacky iStore just to talk too fellow fanboys at the "genius" bar just to comfort each other after paying 2x more for the same shit we get. Its sort of there red badge of courage, paying MORE for shit, paying less!

Not really applicable. However underpowered they are, both consoles were sold at a loss until recently, so you can hardly call that "over-priced". An underpowered laptop sold for 60% more than any other comparable laptop with no gains in build quality, is.

There is a load of markups and over expensive peripherals with consoles however e.g. kinect camera thing ($150 for what pretty much is a low-res USB webcam :confused:)

Back