Topower 1000W Gold Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Topower 1000W Gold Power Supply Review - Topower steps into the big leagues with its new 1000 watt "Gold" power supply that is part of its Nano Series PSUs. You probably realize from the "1000W" and "Gold' in the name that Topower thinks very highly of its new non-modular beast. We put it to the test and see if it is gold as Topower would have you believe.

a lot of people are going to be crying about failing for the unit for 80Plus rating. hopefully hard. Now if others will just follow H example and start we might actually see something change.

I like the addition of the 80% efficiency testing.

There was another review that finds the same low efficiency, but their unit also went out of spec a little.

Review after review seems to make me think I'm going to be sticking with my PC Power & Colling (pre-OCZ) 750W Crossfire Edition power supply for quite sometime. What happened to the PSU market?

Review after review seems to make me think I'm going to be sticking with my PC Power & Colling (pre-OCZ) 750W Crossfire Edition power supply for quite sometime. What happened to the PSU market?

Things generally improved.. Topower & Andyson pretty much always sucked.. what's your point?

Last edited:
I found it a bit odd that at the end of the review you suggest other units, all of them 1200W or higher. You already mentioned the Kingwin LZ-1000 which if I remember correctly was a good unit itself. Seeing as it supplies the same amount of power and its cheaper then this unit, I would have included it as well.

Andyson? What were they thinking... I'm pretty sure they are only one step up from Deer.

This may not be a fantastic PSU, but it did pass testing without going out of spec. That puts it above a lot of other PSUs, even if it isn't worth actually buying one.

Not sure what you mean either. This Topower unit represents some of the few mediocre to bad units of today, but if you had followed the market, you'd know that there are a flurry of really -good- units out there from a multitude of brands. IMO, the PSU market is immensely better today than it was back when PCP&C marketed those Silencers.

I agree with Valset that units that don't meet their marketing claims should be failed. Only then will there be any hope that liars can be driven out of the industry.

Not sure what you mean either. This Topower unit represents some of the few mediocre to bad units of today, but if you had followed the market, you'd know that there are a flurry of really -good- units out there from a multitude of brands. IMO, the PSU market is immensely better today than it was back when PCP&C marketed those Silencers.

I wasn't just referring to this exact review, let me clarify.

It seems to me that the PSU market has not been improving in the same way I see other markets. Let me explain: I currently have an aging X1900XT and if I were to buy a new graphics card today for the same price I paid for my current one, it would be a substantial upgrade.

However for 150$ today I can't really justify buying a 'better' PSU, because the rate of improvement has been rather slow. The only reason I would even consider a new supply is if I needed more than 750W. The prices are about the same and all I get is a slightly more efficient unit that is still required to stay within the same ATX specification my current one does.

This doesn't mean I don't think there are improvements and I do like things to be more efficient and save money in the long run.

I wasn't just referring to this exact review, let me clarify.

It seems to me that the PSU market has not been improving in the same way I see other markets. Let me explain: I currently have an aging X1900XT and if I were to buy a new graphics card today for the same price I paid for my current one, it would be a substantial upgrade.

However for 150$ today I can't really justify buying a 'better' PSU, because the rate of improvement has been rather slow. The only reason I would even consider a new supply is if I needed more than 750W. The prices are about the same and all I get is a slightly more efficient unit that is still required to stay within the same ATX specification my current one does.

This doesn't mean I don't think there are improvements and I do like things to be more efficient and save money in the long run.
PSUs have improved in the only ways they were needed to improve. The only really tangible improvement is efficiency, and that has certainly increased in the last few years. Don't expect to buy a new PSU and have your FPS in every game increase by 10%, because that would be impossible.

Falsely advertising an efficiency rating is the same as falsely claiming a higher wattage rating. Paul and Kyle are 100% correct in failing this unit because it didn't meet efficiency specs.

Things generally improved.. Topower & Andyson pretty much always sucked.. what's your point?

I don't agree. Topower had their Power Bird and some good ABS units. Andyson had Hiper and Aerocool back in the day and more recently BFG. The problem is what resellers are willing to pay for a unit to maximize profit. If they want to make a lot of profit, they're going to cut corners, over rate the unit and cheat on 80 Plus certification.

Falsely advertising an efficiency rating is the same as falsely claiming a higher wattage rating.
No, it's not. It's certainly not a good thing, but a PSU isn't going to explode if it isn't as efficient as it claims to be.

Back