GameStop Giving Out $50 Gift Card Over Deux Ex Fiasco

HardOCP News

[H] News
For anyone that bought a retail copy of Deux Ex: Human Revolution from GameStop, the company is supposedly giving out $50 gift cards to make up for stripping the OnLive coupons from the game.

GameStop is offering a "$50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase" offer to those who bought the standard PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution from the mega retailer. After what the company pulled over the past few days, including the OnLive coupons from PC boxes of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and eventually the entire game itself, we hope it's not pulling our leg now, too.

funny i would think they would have handed out free copies Deus Ex via their own online service

i'm more amazed for the fact that... when buying any game, ESPECIALLY FOR PC, if the game ain't sealed, i would demand a sealed copy of the game. If they r all open, i'd straight up tell them to screw off.

It's no different with them selling games as "new" even though it's been opened already. Of course, i haven't bought anything from gamestop in 2 years or so because they do not offer a pre order price guarantee. It's fken annoying when u pay for a preorder up front and when u pick it up, they ask for more money.

I actually find the 'sealed' thing 'amusing'. I worked in a gaming software store back in the 90s. It was a large chain, found in most malls, and some standalone locations, too, I believe. Their policy for us, the employees, was we could take any game home for 2 days and try it out. We just had to bring everything back, as it was, and shrink wrap it, again, when done. They wanted us to be knowledgeable about the games we were selling.

I never looked at stores like that the same. I'm sure other chains have the same sort of policy. One of the reasons I like getting my games online. No one can mess with the contents!

I redeemed my 50 dollar gift card over the weekend. Now I have a free copy of Gears 3 when it comes out.

At every EB/Gamestop I know, all the games are opened and the physical discs are kept in a drawer by the cashier.

I haven't set foot in Gamestop since L4D2 came out, and only then cause it was $29.99 and that was the same month the game came out!! Day after Thanksgiving was the sale, so I was on it.

Picked up copies for my friends as their X Mas gifts.

I actually find the 'sealed' thing 'amusing'. I worked in a gaming software store back in the 90s. It was a large chain, found in most malls, and some standalone locations, too, I believe. Their policy for us, the employees, was we could take any game home for 2 days and try it out. We just had to bring everything back, as it was, and shrink wrap it, again, when done. They wanted us to be knowledgeable about the games we were selling.

I never looked at stores like that the same. I'm sure other chains have the same sort of policy. One of the reasons I like getting my games online. No one can mess with the contents!
Reminds me of when I bought Unreal 2 from Software Etc. (now GameStop), got it home and found the CD missing. Went back to the store and the manager took his precious time trying to find it. It was like I was inconveniencing him for their fuckup. Never stepped in that place again.

My friend once purchased a ps3 game from BB. When we opened it found that the disk wasn't right. In-fact it wasn't even a blue-ray: it was a DVD with that had been light-scribed with the disk art:(. The game was warped up and everything as if brand-new. We called and yelled at the manger, and he exchanged it, But not with out quite fight...

I went in to Gamestop on Saturday and asked if they had my pre-ordered copy, in which they told me that they weren't carrying it anymore....its was MY PRE-ORDER....they said they sent them back and they asked about people who pre-ordered the game (i did not purchase it in full just reserved it) and they did not offer me the $50 gift card. They offered me a code to download the game from Impulse or whatever but i told them i wanted my 5 bucks back and said i would buy it somewhere else. I wasn't to happy about them send my pre-order back....they just freakin' ridiculous. What a shitty way to treat your paying customers!!

At every EB/Gamestop I know, all the games are opened and the physical discs are kept in a drawer by the cashier.

This.

Anyway I think I would be happier with a $50 gift card either way. Though I agree they should let people know at point of purchase what was going on.

Sad thing is, I buy most of my PC games on disk at Walmart now. they have a better selection!

My local GS has nearly as many Gamecube games as it does PC titles. that's sad, when you place more priority on a defunct game console than cutting edge games that make console games look sick.

I went in to Gamestop on Saturday and asked if they had my pre-ordered copy, in which they told me that they weren't carrying it anymore....its was MY PRE-ORDER....they said they sent them back and they asked about people who pre-ordered the game (i did not purchase it in full just reserved it) and they did not offer me the $50 gift card. They offered me a code to download the game from Impulse or whatever but i told them i wanted my 5 bucks back and said i would buy it somewhere else. I wasn't to happy about them send my pre-order back....they just freakin' ridiculous. What a shitty way to treat your paying customers!!

Thats your fault not Gamestop's. Read your receipt... preorders are only held for 48 hours from date of release, you knew that when you preordered, or you didnt care, but your ignorance is not Gamestop's fault.

Some people need to have something tangible in their hands to get off.

So to speak.

It isn't like GameStop is even close to being a decent PC game dealer, though. Last time I checked my local GameStop, they had like one tiny shelf of PC games and most of them were pretty old and overpriced (i.e. the new pricing for old titles was never updated).

There's no reason to not use Amazon or any of the other excellent online retailers if you want a hard copy. And if you have to get a copy in a store, there are plenty of other options than GameStop.

Yup.. i gave up even bothering to shop there... i could give a shit about console games...which is about all they sell...hell i see more gameboy games in the used bin than i do total pc games in that dump... and honestly... the employees look like those tweenies who hang out in Hot Topic and refuse to wash their hair...lol When i decide i want whats looks like a bunch of skumbags to sell me something... i can hit up a corner for some crack...

Reminds me of when I bought Unreal 2 from Software Etc. (now GameStop), got it home and found the CD missing. Went back to the store and the manager took his precious time trying to find it. It was like I was inconveniencing him for their fuckup. Never stepped in that place again.

Similar thing happened to me, buy game get home and find out they forgot to put in the card with the serial key code. Drive back on my time and gas money and got nothing for my inconvenience.

Thats your fault not Gamestop's. Read your receipt... preorders are only held for 48 hours from date of release, you knew that when you preordered, or you didnt care, but your ignorance is not Gamestop's fault.

Calling me ignorant because of a shitty policy is uncalled for. Besides the fact that they would have screwed me over in the first place. I did NOT know they would only hold it for 48 hrs. I usually pay for it in full before i pick it up. So get off you high horse. Sorry that i didn't read my receipt because i assumed if i pre-ordered it that it would be MINE. Some people......Doesn't change the fact this this whole DE:HR situation is a mess...

Back