furious with asrock z68

lzqtiancai

Limp Gawd
please calm me down and tell me that single ps/2 port on all asrock z68 works with a ps/2 mouse????
Gigabyte z68 mb's single ps/2 ports is multi colored, makes soo much more sense!!!

Thanks for all the response, but the reason I want ps/2 is I love BALL MOUSES. I pwn fps with it

Might as well be furious that it doesn't have serial ports, at this point.

Exactly. Buy an adapter and be done with it. It is known that if something is obsolete, demand drops, and it costs significantly more make because it isn't mass produced and the demand eventually drops to 0. Look at it in a positive apsect because not including that PS2 port allows the manufacturer to reduce costs on the board and make more space on the I/O for modern interfaces that people acutally use.

To keep using IDE and PS2 is like to say Coke should have never defunct Cocaine from the formula. It may be appealing at the time, but eventually better stuff comes by... Like Pepsi with Peyote!

Thanks for all the response, but the reason I want ps/2 is I love BALL MOUSES. I pwn fps with it

And a PS/2 to USB adapter is pricey?

Also, they make USB ball mice (Microsoft makes one, as does Logitech) - however, is it the ball or that you have a mousing surface that is laser-hostile? (Traditional mousepads are very hostile to laser-tracking.)

Have you considered the 3M PreciseMousing Surface (or derivatives thereof, such as Razer's Goliathus line)?

You can order the Precise Mousing Surface via Amazon for $9.06USD (quantity one).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004E2RZYY/ref=nosim/10191459-rg2563-001-20?s=merchant

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does seem kinda odd.

"Im raging because ASRock doesnt have support for PS2 mice and because I rule shooters with those 20 year old ball mice".

Kinda the same as "Im furious with Ford for not putting a crank on the front the car. Who wants to use an ignition key when you can get the satisfaction of cranking the engine over yourself?!"

Does seem kinda odd.

"Im raging because ASRock doesnt have support for PS2 mice and because I rule shooters with those 20 year old ball mice".

Kinda the same as "Im furious with Ford for not putting a crank on the front the car. Who wants to use an ignition key when you can get the satisfaction of cranking the engine over yourself?!"

exactly, thread dead lol

Looked through some Asrock Z68s on newegg.. the PS/2 port is only purple (and not half purple half teal), so it's keyboard only. This actually makes sense, since mechanical keyboards have risen in popularity these last few years, and need it for full n-key rollover.

PS/2 mice in 2011.. not so much.

Does seem kinda odd.

bad analogy?

+1... I have an ancient ball mouse and I take my G5 over it any day, always gunking up, uneven/jerky response, etc.

I do have to take the gunk out time to time. i guess the biggest problem i have with the laser, is when I lift up the mouse, sometimes it will still trace my movement. while the ball mouse does not do that. this give me a big advantage on precisely turning around quickly in fps.

you might ask, 'why would i lift up the mouse?' think about it, when I try to turn my body around in a fps game, i move the mouse to the right, but b/c my mouse isn't tuned to be that sensitive, I will only be halfway turned around when my wrist is bent all the way right, so now I have to lift up my mouse, reposition my mouse to the left side of mousepad while no mouse movement is tracked in the game.

ok. With a ball mouse, I know how high I have to lift, because i can feel the friction between ball and mouse pad, while a laser, it might differ each time, and there are no physical feeling.

so here you go.
http://combatarms.nexon.net/ClansRankings/PlayerProfile.aspx?user=TheZhao

anybody who plays the above game should know how good this k/d is. and it was all done by a standard dell ball mouse.

Invest in a nice mouse and retire your PS2 mouse because I hope they kill off PS2 just so you are forced to use USB.

There is always an adapter to use. my PS/2 will NEVER retire!. im probably gonna buy another exact ps/2 mouse on amazon before they stop selling the mouses lol

Invest in a nice mouse and retire your PS2 mouse because I hope they kill off PS2 just so you are forced to use USB.

please calm me down and tell me that single ps/2 port on all asrock z68 works with a ps/2 mouse????
Gigabyte z68 mb's single ps/2 ports is multi colored, makes soo much more sense!!!

You can calm down now.
As I'm writing these lines, I have a PS/2 mouse connected to my Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 motherboard and it's working quite well. Even if the port is not multi-colored, I think it's actually wired the same way as the Gigabyte mobos.
The only annoyance I noticed is that the mouse stays powered when the PC is off, I suppose this is to allow some kind of "switch on by keyboard" feature. Unfortunately, there is no option in the BIOS to turn off the PS/2 power when the PC is shut down.

I do have to take the gunk out time to time. i guess the biggest problem i have with the laser, is when I lift up the mouse, sometimes it will still trace my movement. while the ball mouse does not do that. this give me a big advantage on precisely turning around quickly in fps.

Lasers do have suffer from high lift-off distance tracking, infrareds bit less. However, mousing surface plays a role how bad the phenomenom is. Whiter the mouse bad the better, generally. There are mouse pads of darker colors which apparently do not have LOD issues with laser mouses, I've heard good things about Steelpad 4D and fUnc Surface 1030 for example.

Last edited:

Actually, some of the Asrock Z68's have a serial port header, and a floppy connector.

To the OP: I'm using a 2 PS/2<-->1USB adapter for my IBM Model M keyboard and Logitec MX1000 laser mouse with my Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, and it's working just fine. Even have a KVM in between, with no issues. You can get them for about ten bucks.

USB_to_PS2_Converter.jpg

Last edited:
Back