Gender Stats: Women Flock to E-Readers, Men to Tablets

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new Nielsen report shows that that women flock to e-readers, men to tablets and real men still prefer PCs. Okay, I added that last part but you and I both know it is true. :D

A new report from the Nielsen research group reveals an interesting gender gap in the way men and women adopt new gadgets. According to the report, 61% of e-reader owners are female, a statistic that's grown steadily from last year. On the other hand, only 43% of tablet owners are women, an interesting divide for two similar classes of device. Ownership of both devices by women appears to be on the rise, as women only accounted for 46% of e-readers and 39% of tablets in late 2010.

And I would be curious to see the iPad to other tablet ratio for men versus women as well. I imagine the number of women using Android tablets is likely rather low in comparison.

So...women flock to the "functional" device and men flock to the fashion accessory?

I am confused...where the hell do they find the people for these studies?:confused:

I have both, but I've had the Kindle for years (I have a Kindle 2 with the beige casing) and just recently got the Android tablet. I also don't use the tablet for reading books. Where does that place me? Just weird?

Men go for the "swiss army knife" multi-function device, women go for the specialized device only. Interesting.

My wife and I are the opposite of what this study says: She has the tablet (Toshiba Thrive) and I have the e-reader (nook). Although, I do also have my desktop (w/C2Q Q8300, GTX260 and 9600GSO all folding), my WHS (w/9800GT folding), and my netbook (Lenovo x120e).

PC's are for sissies. *REAL* men can stick a USB into their ear and make printouts with their brainwaves.

From the source article:

In the U.S., as recently as last Summer, tablet and eReader owners tended to be male and on the younger side. But according to Nielsen’s latest, quarterly survey of mobile connected device owners, this is no longer the case.

Anyone that reads a lot should be using an e-ink reader over LCD anything.

I'm the opposite of that survey as well. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for a tablet but own a e-reader myself.

Only half true in our house. My wife had a Kindle almost 18 months before I decided to get a Nook. She also had a tablet long before I will. She has had a rooted Nook Color for a good portion of the last year and I am just now getting my tablet (HP Touchpad sale ftw).

I have always questioned the "usefulness" of a tablet. In our house we have 3 desktop PC's, 3 laptops, a netbook, GoogleTV, plus her Nook Color, 2 android phones, and several ipods (2 touch, and her mini). I never really thought it was worth the $400+ to get a device that will do half of what my netbook will do and I have the phones/ipods for the rest. Now at $150, we'll see. If I don't end up using it, my wife gets an upgrade.

Only half true in our house. My wife had a Kindle almost 18 months before I decided to get a Nook. She also had a tablet long before I will. She has had a rooted Nook Color for a good portion of the last year and I am just now getting my tablet (HP Touchpad sale ftw).

I have always questioned the "usefulness" of a tablet. In our house we have 3 desktop PC's, 3 laptops, a netbook, GoogleTV, plus her Nook Color, 2 android phones, and several ipods (2 touch, and her mini). I never really thought it was worth the $400+ to get a device that will do half of what my netbook will do and I have the phones/ipods for the rest. Now at $150, we'll see. If I don't end up using it, my wife gets an upgrade.

First World Problems!

i have an entourage pocket edge, so what does that make me? a hermaphrodite? a transsexual?
pocketedgelead.jpg

i also have a gaming PC, HTPC, laptop, and iphone, with a touchpad on the way.

From my observation, I see more women reading books than men. Ebooks are obviously awesome at that. Tablets are mediocre for regular books.

I dunno about tablets. I only want one for reading pdfs (for tech books, tabletop gaming, research papers, etc). The HP Touchpad firesale is the only chance I'll own one anytime soon. I haven't gotten lucky yet. Everything else I rather do on a real machine, netbook, or a phone.

Women really prefer "E-Readers"...? That's kinda dumb! At least with a Tablet you have apps that let them access content for the Kindle or the Nook. Plus you get all the other possible applications that the e-readers just won't do.

In fact, my sister was interested in getting either a Kindle or a Nook a while back. I explained the limitations and she then settled on a Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi. She just needed me to help her set the accounts, and she was living with the best of both worlds. So I actually do know what I'm talking about.

The only reason I could see why most women don't want a Tablet, in place of either E-Reader, is that they simply can't stand to think anymore than is absolutely required. And they perceive the E-Readers will be simple devices. :rolleyes:

As for myself... Until Tablets get Larger displays, I'll stick with my PC! Its really hard to beat a 27.5" (1920x1200 rez) display. And that goes for Anything and Everything. ...Well I do also game and watch Blu-rays on my 46" TV. But I think you get my drift (there are some things where size does indeed count!). :cool:

I don't think it is dumb at all. The kindle e-reader, not being backlit, is much easier on the eyes and is much more akin to reading a book than a computer screen. I've picked up a tablet and will use it more as a computer; I'm still considering getting a completely seperate Kindle for reading.

Screw all that stuff. I'll keep my PC and dead-tree books for reading. When it comes to books, an e-reader just doesn't feel right to me.

Besides, an e-reader doesn't look nearly as awesome as a wall of books in your living room. :D

Screw all that stuff. I'll keep my PC and dead-tree books for reading. When it comes to books, an e-reader just doesn't feel right to me.

Besides, an e-reader doesn't look nearly as awesome as a wall of books in your living room. :D

Agree. I'm a huge book nerd; love the feel and even the smell of them. If I won the lotto I'd try and collect rare books. But in a small city apartment, it just isn't feasible, so a Kindle it is...

this will immediately reverse itself as soon as they come out with a twilight illustrated book for tablets.

I have 4 full bookcases now, but they barely fit in the apartment. Aside from looking great and distinguished, they are a good conversation starter.

The Kindle doesn't get much use at home, but I take it with me almost everywhere I go. Works like a champ.

I don't have really any use for a tablet/iPad, I have actual computers where I need them.
That said, can you calibrate the screen on an iPad?

Women really prefer "E-Readers"...? That's kinda dumb! At least with a Tablet you have apps that let them access content for the Kindle or the Nook. Plus you get all the other possible applications that the e-readers just won't do.

In fact, my sister was interested in getting either a Kindle or a Nook a while back. I explained the limitations and she then settled on a Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi. She just needed me to help her set the accounts, and she was living with the best of both worlds. So I actually do know what I'm talking about.

The only reason I could see why most women don't want a Tablet, in place of either E-Reader, is that they simply can't stand to think anymore than is absolutely required. And they perceive the E-Readers will be simple devices. :rolleyes:

As for myself... Until Tablets get Larger displays, I'll stick with my PC! Its really hard to beat a 27.5" (1920x1200 rez) display. And that goes for Anything and Everything. ...Well I do also game and watch Blu-rays on my 46" TV. But I think you get my drift (there are some things where size does indeed count!). :cool:

Dumb.

Real readers use e-ink (I kid, I kid, the few readers that go the tablet route instead).

I'd give up my Android tablet (Nook color w/ CM7). I'd give up my laptop. But no way in hell I'd give up my e-ink reader now. Too bad retail books are so fricking expensive and laced with DRM (thanks, Agency price fixing).

Ditto. I have yet to be convinced of this insane craze over tablets and e-readers.

Sounds like guys and girls are looking for the same thing from electronics devices as they do in a partner...

Women want something that does one thing they really enjoy really well and for as long as possible before recharge breaks.
Guys just want something that does every freaky thing they can find on the internet.

i have an entourage pocket edge, so what does that make me? a hermaphrodite? a transsexual?

i also have a gaming PC, HTPC, laptop, and iphone, with a touchpad on the way.

If that is what I think it is.... It's discontinued and I know the guy....... who's related to the guy who made those >.>

I don't have any of that. I still read my books on paper and I have a couple home built PCs and a cheap Laptop for when I am on the road.

So...women flock to the "functional" device and men flock to the fashion accessory?

I am confused...where the hell do they find the people for these studies?:confused:

well try this.

men go for the "one-upmanship" electronic device, while women go for the simple and cheap one.

Back