What Google REALLY Meant By "Don't Be Evil"

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that thought "Don't Be Evil" was self explanatory, here is a break down of what it really means. ;)

Every time Google makes one of these moves, it's easy (and fun!) to point the finger at the motto which appeared in its IPO prospectus: "Don't be evil." Google had a very specific definition of evil. It had nothing to do with market tactics like stabbing former partners in the back or playing hardball with weaker competitors.

They are nowhere near drug companies/oil/nestle/apple/bank corporation levels but I've never seen google as being more/less evil than a standard corporation. They do seem to do a few things for the consumer, which others don't, but they are not clear from evil with their storing of data etc. But that said it just appears that they improve services with this.

The wifi data thing was blown out of common sense to something much worse. Mostly because everyone seems to think everyone cares what they are doing, when they really don't give a crap. Blame modern "celebrity" culture? :D

Google is one of the greatest company out there. They are great to customers and employees. They try a bunch of projects which fails and they are always thinking of ways to make the world more open.

I disagree on a professional level. They lure people in with their perpetual Beta software then pull the plug on it just as people come to rely on it. They're projects are more toys than industrial solutions. Maybe its okay for a consumer average household user, but I can't call it one of the 'best comapanies out there'. For business apps, its mediocre at best.

They are nowhere near drug companies/oil/nestle/apple/bank corporation levels but I've never seen google as being more/less evil than a standard corporation. They do seem to do a few things for the consumer, which others don't, but they are not clear from evil with their storing of data etc. But that said it just appears that they improve services with this.

The wifi data thing was blown out of common sense to something much worse. Mostly because everyone seems to think everyone cares what they are doing, when they really don't give a crap. Blame modern "celebrity" culture? :D

No company, in and of itself is "evil" but some of those that run them can commit acts that others might call evil, but remember oftentimes evil is in the eye of the beholder.

When your the little guy it's very easy to claim you are fair, altruistic and open minded, but as you gain power you also gain responsibility. Ask Apple about that, they now fit the big brother comparison from their famous 1984 style commercial then Intel or Microsoft could have ever dreamed of being.

Blame modern "celebrity" culture? :D

Which is actually pretty hilarious when you think about it. Celebrities want to be left alone, but tweet/FB/Myspace update every last detail of their life, including photos and vids from their phones. It's like they're trying to beat the paparazzi to the punch.

I hope I never become so famous that I have to defend myself in 140 characters or less on a daily basis. I'd never get anything done.

For business apps, its mediocre at best.

google has by far the worst customer support of any company out there. actually more like they have no support at all. i guess its ok to give stuff away for free but when i was dealing with adwords it was a pain to get any kind of support.

Back