Deus Ex: Human Revolution Performance Preview @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Performance Preview - We secured an advance copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution so that we could show our readers how the game will perform when it launches later today. We've given it a quick once-over with four different video cards. We have a full run-down of the game coming after it officially launches, but this is here to whet your appetites now!

Last edited:
Fixing - Kyle

While you guys didn't talk about it, the game has the ability to enable vsync within the game right?

Nice. Really looking forward to playing this game tomorrow. Sadly I probably won't get the chance to touch it until after class.

Here's to hoping for the 460 in the next batch of results!

It's looking like it's pretty port-ish in performance-wise though isn't it, doesn't seem like anything current will have trouble at 1680x1050.

Is Eyefinity/Surround working properly?

Theoretically, I should be good performance wise for this game @ 5760x1200. Might have to cut AA down a notch.

Slightly confused with the review -- for AMD owners, is our only option no AA or MLAA?

I do not know. But as it has AMD's Gaming Evolved seal on it, it may be a safe bet that Eyefinity is working properly.

Slightly confused with the review -- for AMD owners, is our only option no AA or MLAA?

FXAA works on AMD cards, as stated on the first page (and shown on the 2nd page). In fact, the AA screenshots on the 3rd page were taken with an HD 6970.

Are the more traditional AA options possible in the game? If yes will you be comparing them to FXAA?

Theoretically, I should be good performance wise for this game @ 5760x1200. Might have to cut AA down a notch.

They announced official support for Eyefinity and HD3D(AMD's 3D). Apparently 3Dvision actually doesn't work that well with this game, from another source, which is a first.

That is surprising that the 6970 beat out the GTX580 so handily. I would've thought the 580 would've walked away with it.

Are the more traditional AA options possible in the game? If yes will you be comparing them to FXAA?

I don't know yet. For the full eval, I'll attempt to force AA from the NV/AMD control panels, and if it works I'll certainly be comparing them to what is offered in-game.

Here's to hoping for the 460 in the next batch of results!

It's looking like it's pretty port-ish in performance-wise though isn't it, doesn't seem like anything current will have trouble at 1680x1050.

The Crystal Engine was first used in 2006 for Tomb Raider legend, you really can't expect it push PC killing numbers.

FXAA works on AMD cards, as stated on the first page (and shown on the 2nd page). In fact, the AA screenshots on the 3rd page were taken with an HD 6970.

There was a first page!? :eek: I ran right for the the graphs and pictures.

Isn't it kind of strange that they named the in-game AA options after the branded AA options? I see that they work for both cards, but I thought the whole idea with MLAA was that Nvidia didn't have it (and vice-versa for FXAA)?

Isn't it kind of strange that they named the in-game AA options after the branded AA options? I see that they work for both cards, but I thought the whole idea with MLAA was that Nvidia didn't have it (and vice-versa for FXAA)?

Perhaps, but I'm glad they did it that way, and I'm glad FXAA and MLAA are GPU-agnostic in this title. This way, I know exactly what I'm looking at (and to whom i should direct questions) when I compare the different AA options.

As in the article, they got FXAA working just fine on the ATI cards. I also had the displeasure of playing DNF after paying full price for it and FXAA works just fine on my ATI 5850's in CFX. I still enable MSAA in DNF though just because i'm so stuck in my old ways, but the way AA is done in games is quickly changing.

Now that i'm intrigued with this game, i'll have to stick around and see what you guys have to say about it in the gaming subforum after it launches.

even though FXAA is branded as nvidia's version of MLAA, its really a third party application. which is why it works for both AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia's just branded it as their own software.

Perhaps, but I'm glad they did it that way, and I'm glad FXAA and MLAA are GPU-agnostic in this title. This way, I know exactly what I'm looking at (and to whom i should direct questions) when I compare the different AA options.

Hmmm...you sure on that?

I was pretty sure that FXAA was GPU-agnostic, but that MLAA required an AMD card.

That is - AMD cards should see MLAA, FXAA, and edge-detect AA as options.

nVidia cards will only see FXAA and edge-detect AA as options (no MLAA).

I just want to verify - you saw MLAA as an option on the nVidia cards, tried it, and it did appear to actually do something different?

Hmmm...you sure on that?

I was pretty sure that FXAA was GPU-agnostic, but that MLAA required an AMD card.

That is - AMD cards should see MLAA, FXAA, and edge-detect AA as options.

nVidia cards will only see FXAA and edge-detect AA as options (no MLAA).

I just want to verify - you saw MLAA as an option on the nVidia cards, tried it, and it did appear to actually do something different?

FXAA and MLAA both work just fine on AMD and NVIDIA video cards. The AMD cards saw FXAA and MLAA in the graphics menu, and the NVIDIA cards saw FXAA and MLAA in the graphics menu.

FXAA was initially designed by NVIDIA to be GPU agnostic and implemented by the developer. MLAA was initially designed by AMD to be implemented in the Catalyst Control Center and therefore only available to gamers with AMD video cards. However, after our FXAA article, we spoke to AMD about MLAA and they informed us that it could be implemented by developers (which it has been, in Shogun II, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Battlefield 3, among others) and that in that implementation, it should work on any GPU.

As it is implemented in the CCC, obviously it is only available to AMD video card owners. But as it is implemanted in-game by game developers, it is just a post-processing shader (like FXAA), and is therefore GPU-agnostic.

Yes, I tried both MLAA and FXAA on AMD video cards and on NVIDIA video cards, and all options worked as they should.

Last edited:
Mark, any chance of a MLAA vs FXAA showdown in the follow up, image quality and performance hit vs image quality and performance hit?

Also eyefinity and multicard performance?

Mark, any chance of a MLAA vs FXAA showdown in the follow up, image quality and performance hit vs image quality and performance hit?

Also eyefinity and multicard performance?

Yes

Mark cannot test Eyefinity or multicard performance, but I will be using the game in an upcoming ASUS Mars review (dual-GPU card), with AMD multi-card comparisons, and will test the game in multiple displays.

I would say there is a 100% chance of seeing that very thing.

Alas, I am not outfitted for Eyefinity.

sorry I ninja edited but you sir are a more elite ninja and fast!! :D

Will we see eyefinity/surround and sli/crossfire performance data too?

As Brent said, I can't do eyefinity, and he is using this game in an upcoming multi-monitor/multi-gpu review of his.

That is surprising that the 6970 beat out the GTX580 so handily. I would've thought the 580 would've walked away with it.

I would imagine that AMD was provided with builds early on giving them more time to
tweak driver performance. 3FPS isn't that much of a difference at that res...

Excellent article gents! Helps me get prepared for release tonight/early morning ;)

We will have commentary on this in our full gameplay eval, but I for one am happy to see methods like FXAA/MLAA/Edge AA used over traditional AA. Traditional AA is slow, and doesn't work well, MSAA can only reduce aliasing on polygon edges. I like FXAA/MLAA/Edge AA because it works on the whole scene, and is much much faster. Dues Ex might just be the wave of the future, in AA support, and I hope it is. I can't wait till we dive into exploring these AA options.

Agreed. I'm excited about FXAA and MLAA being implemented into the shader stack. MSAA is old and boring, and as you say, not all that effective. I think shader-based AA is the future of anti-aliasing.

Thanks for the article and the PC max settings screen captures. Good to finally see instead of the console footage we have been subjected to for so long. :D

I have been excited about this game since it was announced in 2007, and I am really hoping to be able to max everything out at decent FPS... and maybe even add FXAA at only 1920 x 1200 on a good old 5870.

Cannot wait for this game! Fast forward to the 26th please!

Thanks for the preview, pre-purchased and I'm looking forward to it. Looks like this game favors AMD, it even supports AMD's HD3D out of the box but not 3D Vision, hopefully that'll be patched shortly as the bulk of PC gamers doing 3D are running 3D Vision.

The Crystal Engine was first used in 2006 for Tomb Raider legend, you really can't expect it push PC killing numbers.

As long as it runs and looks well cranked I'm pretty content with that. :cool:

Wow. Tesselation and FXAA ftw. Sounds funny, but I am glad a game will finally push my GTX470 (1680X1050 still).

The AA had better be tops with all the boxy rooms and straight lines. At least the tesselation looks good.

I wasn't disturbed by the jaggies once I got underground - you will know after 6-12 hours depending on your playstyle.

Hope to see some analysis on what the tessellation implementation is like. We know the tess'ing in Crysis 2 was a catastrophical failure.

Holy shit this game looks bad. The lack of detail and boxyness of the level design is stunning.
And the atrocious lighting, just look at that last interior screenshot.

How many of us readers read the first lines, "We secured an advanced copy..." and thought "Lucky bastards!!!"? :)

From all the screenshots and videos I've seen, the character models look very good, but somehow the evironments don't look too impressive -- too blocky somehow (making good use of AA all the more important, I suppose) and the assets seem to be reused over and over again. If the gameplay and level design is as good as the original, who cares though?

Wondering how it will run on my dual 6990ms...

FXAA was initially designed by NVIDIA to be GPU agnostic and implemented by the developer. MLAA was initially designed by AMD to be implemented in the Catalyst Control Center and therefore only available to gamers with AMD video cards.

MLAA was designed by Intel afaik, AMD's version is just their (GPU instead of CPU) implementation of it.

There's other implementations too
http://www.iryoku.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back