Intel Executive Talks Ultrabook Form, Function

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at C|Net sat down with the director of Intel's Ultrabook group and talked about all things Ultrabook.

Question: Can you talk about some of the new technologies Intel is targeting?

Welch: We're looking at lithium polymer batteries, which are typically found in cell phones. So, the question is, how can we accelerate that process and what kind of implementation and economic hurdles stand in the way and how can we work with the ecosystem to overcome those and accelerate their adoption? The focal point for the lithium polymer industry is handhelds andtablets, but it's equally applicable [for Ultrabooks].

Sony already uses Li Poly batteries. Good for form factor, but needs a bit more sturdyness against full discharges - IMO.

Apple also has been using lithium polymer batteries for years.
I would expect an OEM to put a peel-off sticker [on the laptop], for example, that calls out that it's an Ultrabook. And hang tags would call out that, hey, this is an Ultrabook.
Welch: We don't have any set opinion on materials or design elements. Different materials pose different challenges. Machined aluminum is great but it isn't cheap. People are looking at fiberglass, carbon fiber, and metal reinforced plastics. Each one of those has benefits and tradeoffs. [But] the OEM is closer to the customer. They know what works for them and what works best for the customer.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

from my experience these batteries dont have much life to them. Lets see if intel does anything with them.

Back