AT&T Sues Customers Seeking to Block T-Mobile Deal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let me see if I have this right. AT&T is sued by customers trying to prevent the company's upcoming merger with T-Mobile. AT&T responds by filing lawsuits (eight of them to be exact) against the lawyers representing AT&T's customers. Wait. What?

AT&T Inc is turning to the federal courts to thwart an effort led by law firm Bursor & Fisher to derail AT&T's $39 billion takeover bid for Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile. In eight lawsuits filed last week, AT&T accused Bursor & Fisher and a second plaintiffs' firm, Faruqi & Faruqi, of trying to pressure AT&T into "an extortionate settlement" by encouraging AT&T customers to file multiple claims against the merger.

Oh, they think the settlement is extortionate? Let's talk about their data pricing...

Everyone already knows ATT is evil, they're just making sure there's no doubt.

If you can sue them, they should be able to counter-sue, I don't see a problem. Regardless if they are good or not.

found this in my AT&T bill today..

owned.gif

This is clearly not a move to be a bigger monopoly and screw customers over.

If you can sue them, they should be able to counter-sue, I don't see a problem. Regardless if they are good or not.

The way I see it, if AT&T can counter sue, then can these people counter sue their counter sue?

All joking aside though, if AT&T is trying to win the hearts of T-Mobile customers, they're doing a terrible job at it. They might as well just send them Verizon or Sprint phones while they're at it.

AT&T is just mad because they can't have their cake and eat it too. They won a case this past November blocking customers from being able to file a class action lawsuit against them. Now, all 900 complaints in this case have to be handled via arbitration. If even one of those cases sides against AT&T, the merger is blocked. Well, AT&T, you made your bed, now lay in it.

The way I see it, if AT&T can counter sue, then can these people counter sue their counter sue?

All joking aside though, if AT&T is trying to win the hearts of T-Mobile customers, they're doing a terrible job at it. They might as well just send them Verizon or Sprint phones while they're at it.

They don't want your damn heart, they want your money. Your choice is about to be ATT, Sprint or Verizon. This is bad for consumers. The argument they are using, saying its the best way to get mobile data to more customers is false. If the government wants that to happen they could sponsor and give a grant and bandwidth to a new company and help ensure a competitive market. How many consumer products with only three major players have done well? I can't think of any right off hand.

I bet you guys wish you had the EU ready to step in and slap some wrists now dontcha :cool:

ATT sucks but this is an obvious lawyer trick to cash in on customers. Get customers riled up for a class action suit... ATT settles with them to go away yet continues with merger... lawyers walk away laughing with a suit case of money.

I bet you guys wish you had the EU ready to step in and slap some wrists now dontcha :cool:

At this point, I don't care if Hollywood uses up all its celebrity power to help put AT&T in their place and stop the merger.

And I'm not even ON T-Mobile or AT&T.

ATT sucks but this is an obvious lawyer trick to cash in on customers. Get customers riled up for a class action suit... ATT settles with them to go away yet continues with merger... lawyers walk away laughing with a suit case of money.

Exactly. I frankly agree more with AT&T from the details presented.

It's not them just suing any ole customers...

Customers can't file a class action lawsuit. It states in their Terms and Conditions that they can only arbitrate. AT&T already won a court case over this very issue in November...

If Google bought T-Mobile I would go to T-Mobile too.

Customers can't file a class action lawsuit. It states in their Terms and Conditions that they can only arbitrate. AT&T already won a court case over this very issue in November...
I don't see how this could be legal. I mean, I understand that it is, but I don't think it should be. This pisses me off. :mad:

I hate AT&T! I used to be a line technician for them and I was very good at my job. I ran better numbers than most techs in my crew, I was cross trained in Uverse, ADSL, and voice line repair and install. Then out of the blue my boss pulls some crap from several months earlier cause I returned a job. I was out of area and did not have prints for the buried cable in the neighborhood. I was suspended for two days then they call me and tell me they are separating me from the company cause of "Low Performance".
I can't prove it, but this all comes after I get married, and one of my co-workers who I invited to my dinner reception starts telling people I am a Muslim...
I really hate AT&T and will never support them and their dirty work ethics.

I'm well past my 2 year contract with T-Mobile, and they have some pretty good deals on phone upgrades.
However, I don't want to have to deal with AT&T, so I'm waiting. If this merger goes through, I'll most likely switch, along with alot of other T-Mobile customers. Guess AT&T will end up with more bandwidth once most the T-Mobile customers are gone.

I'm up in october and tmobile keeps offering me interesting plans but if the merger with att goes through there is no way in hell I want to be stuck with them.

I hate AT&T! I used to be a line technician for them and I was very good at my job. I ran better numbers than most techs in my crew, I was cross trained in Uverse, ADSL, and voice line repair and install. Then out of the blue my boss pulls some crap from several months earlier cause I returned a job. I was out of area and did not have prints for the buried cable in the neighborhood. I was suspended for two days then they call me and tell me they are separating me from the company cause of "Low Performance".
I can't prove it, but this all comes after I get married, and one of my co-workers who I invited to my dinner reception starts telling people I am a Muslim...
I really hate AT&T and will never support them and their dirty work ethics.

This is EXACTLY why I wish some people in this world would get a bullet through their skull. I usually hate violence, but you simply have to prevent assholes from procreating and from fucking over hard workers who do their job better, yet some fat snob arrogant suit decides he doesn't like someone's face/religion/wife and bam.

I can actually understand now why some people go berzerk and start murdering people. Maybe if more people actually did this, these people in power would think twice before fucking over innocents.

Go report me to the FBI or something for saying that. I don't give a shit. I'll see the assholes in hell someday, anyway, and then (as said in Punisher: war zone): "Now it's MY turn."

The headline says that they are suing the customers, yet they are suing the law firms... Sounds like something Fox News would do guys...:rolleyes:

The headline says that they are suing the customers, yet they are suing the law firms... Sounds like something Fox News would do guys...:rolleyes:

The lawyers and law firms could be att customers as well. :p

I kind of wish I signed up for T-Mobil when their 2-yr family plans were rock bottom prices about a year ago (and a phone for a kid under 18 was FREE). I have Verizon now, but paying month2month as my 2-yr contract has ended about 2 years ago. I still pay the old contract price which is cheaper than their new contract prices.

T-Mobil's prices have gone up, but still cheaper than ATT or Verizon family plans. I can only imagine when ATT acquires T-Mobil, less competition, higher prices.

I kind of wish I signed up for T-Mobil when their 2-yr family plans were rock bottom prices about a year ago (and a phone for a kid under 18 was FREE). I have Verizon now, but paying month2month as my 2-yr contract has ended about 2 years ago. I still pay the old contract price which is cheaper than their new contract prices.

T-Mobil's prices have gone up, but still cheaper than ATT or Verizon family plans. I can only imagine when ATT acquires T-Mobil, less competition, higher prices.
That's what I did and I'm livid that AT&T is trying to swallow the company I left them for.

That's what I did and I'm livid that AT&T is trying to swallow the company I left them for.

You can run but you can't hide....I hated Cingular with a passion and left them for AT&T. Then Cingular fled and went to Nextel. I finally came back to AT&T because I got a 22% discount through my employer, + an iphone. At this point, are ANY of the carriers any good?

You can run but you can't hide....I hated Cingular with a passion and left them for AT&T. Then Cingular fled and went to Nextel. I finally came back to AT&T because I got a 22% discount through my employer, + an iphone. At this point, are ANY of the carriers any good?

Wtf did I just type....

Then Cingular BOUGHT AT&T and I went to Nextel....

anyone that says sprint sucks hasnt been on sprint lately. Service is much better, plans are cheaper, and phone choices are great.

Back