Prison Time For Inciting Riots On Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember the two guys that were arrested last week for inciting riots via Facebook? It looks like the courts have given them both four years in prison. Wow, that was fast! :eek:

Two men have been jailed for four years for using Facebook to incite disorder. Jordan Blackshaw, 20, from Marston near Northwich, and Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, from Warrington, appeared at Chester crown court on Tuesday. They were arrested last week following incidents of violent disorder in London and other cities across the UK.

Holy shit, 4 years? That made me go read the post, surely their posts must have been a significant contributor or they were some kind of ringleaders...

But then the Guardian puts this sentence on it's own line, hanging out there solo:

Neither of their Facebook posts resulted in a riot-related event.

That's crazy.

Well, when you tell the police to let the rioters run rampant for 3 days in a row what do you expect? The people in the UK are calling for blood and they don't care what rights/freedoms of expression (what little they have) they are giving away just so they can sleep at night.

Even though the police could have easily quashed an un-armed public in a matter of hours and stopped the vast majority of this from ever happening..

Everything was FINE in the United Kingdom before that evil facebook showed up!
rabble rabble rabble

That they were inciting the rioting while it was occurring does not mean that what they said must be tied to a singular event .

Who cares that they only got 4 years, what's news to me is how FAST they got sentenced. No way in the US would they have been sentenced that fast. :p

They're obviously using them as examples to ward off anyone who's thinking of rioting. Though the cause of the riots are based on poverty and police abuse to the minority in the UK. The smoking gun has nothing to do with any Facebook post.

Thats all bullcrap 90% of these people that did riot did it for the "lols free goodies" poverty my ***** police abuse? lol its not 1970 kids will be kids 70% where under 15 and thats a fact.

Kids do what the hell they want to if they think there gona get away with it and the whole facebook culture of them seeing everyone doing it made them think they could. These children need an example setting and thats what they have got and am i happy with how the goverment has given just sentances to people that had regard for saftey and peoples property.

That's a little bit of bullshit, honestly. If I get on Facebook, and post "Everyone kill their cats" -- am I going to be held liable for everyone who kills their cat? These kids did not hold a gun to the head of anyone to force them into doing anything.

I'm moving to Britain and will start posting random advice for different sports teams. If they win, I will take them to court for my fair share of their winnings, since my posts obviously influenced them! ;)

Thats all bullcrap 90% of these people that did riot did it for the "lols free goodies" poverty my ***** police abuse? lol its not 1970 kids will be kids 70% where under 15 and thats a fact.

Everyone like you said the same thing in 1970

I wish we could switch governments for a while. I live just outside Vancouver and nobody has been charged after the Stanley Cup riots. And it's been 2 months..

Is "justice" normally this quick in the UK? In the US, it would have taken much longer.

I get the feeling that these are fall guys. How many actual rioters have been convicted? How many years were they given?

I wish we could switch governments for a while. I live just outside Vancouver and nobody has been charged after the Stanley Cup riots. And it's been 2 months..

Have you guys charged that douchebag who shot, clubbed and stabbed to death all those sled dogs, and then filed for disability welfare for "emotional distress"?

The Youth of the Middle East rise up for basic freedoms.The Youth of London rise up for an HD ready 42" Plasma TV

Fecking chavs.

Whoa! This just seems ludicrous to me... How long has it been since all notions of "Freedom of Speech" have left the British consciousness? Sounds like its definitely time for some civilian unrest there to me. Seriously I would at least give them something to throw me in Prison for...!! :mad: And I can hardly believe that the people in charge there would expect anything less from those who feel like they have Nothing to Loose!?!

Whoa! This just seems ludicrous to me... How long has it been since all notions of "Freedom of Speech" have left the British consciousness? Sounds like its definitely time for some civilian unrest there to me. Seriously I would at least give them something to throw me in Prison for...!! :mad: And I can hardly believe that the people in charge there would expect anything less from those who feel like they have Nothing to Loose!?!

The UK is not the US, but here in the US, inciting a riot is still illegal. It falls under clear and present danger. You can claim that inciting a riot is not what they were doing, but it would be disingenuous to attempt to claim inciting a riot does not present a clear and present danger to both property and life.
Again, the UK is not the US, and outside of generalities, I don't pretend to know what their laws say about it.

Personally I find the notion that one person can be held liable for inciting another person to do anything. Unless the person doing thinciting is a civil authority figure or your boss/parent(for children)/or your commanding military officer you are under no obligation to do what that person says and the only person that should be held accountable for your actions is you.

It's called responsibility people!

Wow that was fast, has anyone who incited hacking of phones from Rupert Murdock and the Gang been charged and sent off for a holiday or is this just for the other class of citizens that receive swift action, because they can't pay off the police or politicians or afford the best lawyers money can buy.

Wow that was fast, has anyone who incited hacking of phones from Rupert Murdock and the Gang been charged and sent off for a holiday or is this just for the other class of citizens that receive swift action, because they can't pay off the police or politicians or afford the best lawyers money can buy.

ding ding ding...Know your place Uncle. :D

Yes, go sit in the corner and be a good consumer. Remember, the corporate citizen knows best for all.

Is "justice" normally this quick in the UK? In the US, it would have taken much longer.

I get the feeling that these are fall guys. How many actual rioters have been convicted? How many years were they given?

Not normally but due to the event the magistrates courts were adjusted to push through the rioting cases more efficiently thus they have been going all weekend and all night.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gg3WjF3ZmpqLUNuZHNuVDRiUWFhUGc&hl=en_US#gid=0

The UK approach to free speech is that you can have all the free speech you like as long as you don't use it to try to directly compromise another persons right not to have their livelihood destroyed, safety compromised or life taken (all of which happened to many people during the riots that hese two guys were actively trying to perpetuate).

On the US vs UK part, you go ahead and stand up on a plane ride in the US and shout "I've got a bomb and we are all going to die" and see how far: "But I have a right to free speech" gets you.

Even though neither of the posts resulted in a riot, I am all for this.

I am not for letting criminal banker kings and big shots go without even a slap on the wrist when they deserve a month of interrogation at gitmo and then a firint squad.

Well, that's a little bit cynical and over the top.

It's clear they expedited these cases in order to get a handle on a dangerous and violent situation they had on the streets. Provided all normal protocols were followed and these two were given a fair trial (keeping in mind that the UK system is a little different than ours) there is no problem with this.

When you on one hand have egregious privacy violations that by all estimates have stopped and on the other hand have ongoing violence, destruction and arson in the streets, it would seem foolish not to prioritize the latter.

Yes, the wealthy and connected can afford more protections under the law. it's been that way since Biblical times, but society as a whole - both ours in the U.S. and theirs in thew U.K. has gotten better to the point where these abuses of wealth and power are not as egregious as they used to be.

I fully expect those arrested in the phone hacking scandal to be convicted. It will probably take longer though, in part because the magistrates are now busy with these dumb hooligan twits, in part because privacy law is not as cut and dry as the laws surrounding larceny, arson and violence and in part because the perpetrators of the phone hacking scandal likely will have paid for better legal representation.

Zarathustra[H];1037641346 said:
<snip>I fully expect those arrested in the phone hacking scandal to be convicted. It will probably take longer though, in part because the magistrates are now busy with these dumb hooligan twits, in part because privacy law is not as cut and dry as the laws surrounding larceny, arson and violence and in part because the perpetrators of the phone hacking scandal likely will have paid for better legal representation.

...I doubt anything is going to happen to Murdoch at all. Some patsies will fall and go to jail, but Rupert? Nope, he won't even get a slap on this wrist.

...I doubt anything is going to happen to Murdoch at all. Some patsies will fall and go to jail, but Rupert? Nope, he won't even get a slap on this wrist.

I haven't been following the story lately, but last I checked there was no evidence that Rupert Murdoch was directed or was even aware of the phone hacking until after it occurred.

There is certainly a case for the "buck stops here" mentality and I think it would be appropriate for him to resign as a result though no one except his board can make him do so, and that's not likely to happen.

This - however - does not mean that he is criminally liable, or should have any charges pressed against him. This could change if they find more evidence though.

Zarathustra[H];1037641644 said:
I haven't been following the story lately, but last I checked there was no evidence that Rupert Murdoch was directed or was even aware of the phone hacking until after it occurred.
And it will likely stay that way so long as the people involved keep on committing "suicide" before being questioned by the authorities.

Yea, the guy was "found dead" and it's no questions asked, how many days after he blew the whistle on them?

That's some scary stuff and people just let it fly over their heads.

Back