Dell U2312HM

Looks like a great monitor.

I hope it doesnt bleed like U2412M.

Mine doesn't bleed, does yours?

Panel type has nothing to do with backlight bleed, it's generally build quality and design. Maybe you're confusing IPS white glow with bleeding? Step back and if the white glow goes away, it's not bleed.

6bit or 8bit?

Probably 6-bit + FRC which, for all intents and purposes is as good as 8-bit. The original U2311H was also 6-bit+FRC.

Wonder if the colors will be better or worse switching to led...

Whites will be a tiny bit colder (bluer) but should be pretty similar. Response time should also be good as the U2311H was probably the best IPS 23" monitor in this regard.

Yes, All three of them. and alot too!

I find it quite strange that you bought 3x U2412Ms, care to share why? You've always been a big proponent of 16:9.. I mean even right now in the SA850 thread you say:

Welcome abord mate! You are very welcome to the 16:9 club!

You will not change your mind. I promise. Once you go 16:9, you never go back. :)

:confused:

Yes, All three of them. and alot too!

No, Wrong

Neither you nor your friend have ever had these screens. You are making things up, and that's not right.

That's Funkdancer's post from the U2412M thread, a post in which he explictly states that he took some very poor photographs to greatly amplify effects. Take a look at the start menu and task bar at the bottom and it's practically exploding with white icons, a sure sign of heavy over-exposure. :rolleyes:

He even removed them in order to avoid confusion. It's nice to see that you saved them to expose the <ahem> truth, Oled.

You crack me up.

Also, he doesn't even have two of these screens if I remember correctly because he exchanged them.

Let me do the search for you:

FunkDancer's post(s) in the U2412M Thread:

His post about receiving replacements.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037617559&postcount=661

Note where he says the bleed has improved over time.

You do not own any of these screens, neither have any of your friend(S) so let's just be honest about it and stop the shenanigans.

Stick to what you know, please, and thank you.

It seems owners like their U2412Ms and detracting hairy green people don't.

Last edited:
Back to topic, if the U2312HM are anything like the U2412M, and opposite to Oled's opinion, I think the monitors should be quite good, usable for gaming and whatever else you throw at them.

Also, contrast should be solid, backlight range (bright to dark) should be very large, and input lag should be low.

This is a new low, Oled, even for you...

On topic, hopefully these are better than LG's own LED backlit 23" IPS models. Otherwise there won't be much, or any at all improvement over the previous model.

@10e

U2311H is maybe the best screen on the market if you consider the price. I think U2312HM will be great as well.

but LED is worrying though because all LED IPS screens have had more problems with back light bleed. And U2412M is no exception. You cant deny that.

Last edited:
Took a chance and ordered one. Fingers crossed that it turns out to be a great monitor.

@10e

U2311H is maybe the best screen on the market if you consider the price. I think U2312HM will be great as well.

but LED is worrying though because all LED IPS screens have had more problems with back light bleed. And U2412M is no exception. You cant deny that.

LOL Oled, nobody gives a crap what you say, your lying makes everything else a moot point.

Plz vanish.

Damn, this thing is ugly looking compared to the U2311H. I wonder if they'll go on a clearance sale to get rid of them later, at this point in time I'm still leaning towards the U2311Hs. Far prefer the angular mostly-black to the rounded-everywhere and lots of grey. I hope some reviews come out comparing the two, because if the panel quality is identical between the two, I'd rather take the aesthetics of the U2311H over the LED backlight of the U2312HM.

Damn, this thing is ugly looking compared to the U2311H. I wonder if they'll go on a clearance sale to get rid of them later, at this point in time I'm still leaning towards the U2311Hs. Far prefer the angular mostly-black to the rounded-everywhere and lots of grey. I hope some reviews come out comparing the two, because if the panel quality is identical between the two, I'd rather take the aesthetics of the U2311H over the LED backlight of the U2312HM.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

It's a perfectly valid concern. They're both very good looking monitors. Better, actually, than the vast majority of weird crap that all other manufacturers throw at us. But still, I do prefer my U2311H's look, particularly over that base of the U2312HM.

The difference is fairly slight and I'd still go with whichever monitor puts out a better picture.

Yeah, I don't like the new "oval" shaped buttons of the new ones :( I'd rather have something like a mixture of the U2711/U3011 lighted buttons and the U2311H's hard buttons... Actually square shaped.

It's a perfectly valid concern. They're both very good looking monitors. Better, actually, than the vast majority of weird crap that all other manufacturers throw at us. But still, I do prefer my U2311H's look, particularly over that base of the U2312HM.

The difference is fairly slight and I'd still go with whichever monitor puts out a better picture.

Pretty much. If the reviews come out and the uniformity/brightness/contrast/etc are all pretty much identical between the U2312HM and the U2311H, I'd be leaning to pick up the older model just based on the aesthetics. The extreme rounded edges looks awful in an Eyefinity setup, where the hard corners look like one larger monitor better.

However, if the panel quality is increased, it has less antiglare or more contrast, something like that, there'd be an obvious reason to get the U2312HM over it, although I would be fairly unhappy with how it looked. Maybe I'd be able to pop the bezels off or something.

I second the design concerns, u2311h just looks great, just a nice screen with a black square border in your face. It's stilish and fit any environment, and most importantly is great for multi displays setup. They should have kept it, improving the stand with something similar to new Samsung PLS, and including the lovely capacitive squared buttons with blue leds from u2711.

Looks like Dell just discontinued the U2211H, replacing it with the U2212HM.

Not sure if the U2311H is in for the same fate soon.

Darn. I was hoping to get a second U2211H. I guess I'll settle for the HM.

I'm thinking I may order three of these tomorrow. I can't see any reason to go with the older model though I do like the bezel a bit more. From what I am reading the LED displays have a longer life.

Looks like they will hit the office on the 30th. Which sucks because I will be out of town in training.

I was thinking the rounded edges would be a bigger deal than they are.

mc20.JPG

I was thinking the rounded edges would be a bigger deal than they are.

Sweet setup; keepin' it simple. I agree, the rounded edges don't seem like much of a concern.

Notice any yellow tinting or backlight bleeding? These two issues seem to be the major gripes of the big brother U2412M released not too long ago.

Overall impressions thus far?

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I have not actually turned them on yet. I have a video card and cables that should be here on Tuesday. My current setup will support 3 monitors but without eyefinity. I don't want to bother running those cables though with everything showing up in a few days.

Aren't those a bit too high compared to the desk level, or are you just that tall? :D

The bottom of the monitor sits 8" off of the desk. When sitting in front of them and looking straight out I am look over the tops of the monitors. From what I understand this where you want your monitors to be. I am 6'1" and it seems to be about perfect for me.

Just got the U2312HM today and so far so good. Compared to my P2311H TN the colors are more vibrant, darks / contrast seem more pronounced, and text is a lot easier to read. This is my first IPS and I'm definitely impressed with it right out of the box. I think I may just sell off my TNs and grab another one when I can catch it on sale.

I'm waiting till tonight to check for noticeable backlight bleeding or lack of uniformity. Also, thus far I see no issue with tinting. I have noticed whites are whiter on standard color preset compared to the custom RGB settings I tried out that were recommended in the U2412M thread.

Last edited:
I currently have a U2711H and I was thinking of picking up a second monitor to use in portrait (coding, etc). Should I go for a U2311H or this model?

I currently have a U2711H and I was thinking of picking up a second monitor to use in portrait (coding, etc). Should I go for a U2311H or this model?

I believe the question has been answered by Dell. It looks like the U2311H has been phased out.

I'm looking to replace my aging and dim LG monitor and this Dell looks like a great replacement. Any idea how often new monitors go on sale? Since it was recently released I can't imagine Dell having a sale on these any time soon.

The bottom of the monitor sits 8" off of the desk. When sitting in front of them and looking straight out I am look over the tops of the monitors. From what I understand this where you want your monitors to be. I am 6'1" and it seems to be about perfect for me.

Yes, that's the perfect height. The top of your head should pretty much be inline with the tops of the screens.

Nice setup by the way. Kudos.

Back