ASUS P8P67 Pro New B3 Revision Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS P8P67 Pro New B3 Revision Motherboard Review - ASUS' latest foray in to the Intel LGA1155 market shows up in a competitive package, the P8P67 Pro. The board combines the features and technologies you've come to expect from ASUS and promises not to disappoint. This motherboard also happens to target the sub-$180 market so it will be on the list for budget minded builds.

Last edited:
what is the difference between this ver 3.0 and the older ver 1.1 (i think it is 1.1)?

also did you run into the double posting issue?

what is the difference between this ver 3.0 and the older ver 1.1 (i think it is 1.1)?

also did you run into the double posting issue?

Version 1.1 did not have the B3 southbridge that was recalled earlier this year.

No issues with double posting. Board worked perfectly.

Any way to tell if I have the B3 revision vs the 1.1? I just bought and installed this motherboard last week (from Newegg.) I had some very weird issues with the SATA controllers and trying to get it to recognize my SSD and ATAPI drives.

Ultimately worked fine, but sure was a hassle getting there. Also, the 64 bit version of the ASUS AI suite stuff just crashes when you try to install it. This is apparently a well known issue, I found threads a couple years back.

The older version used the buggy, recalled B2 stepping of the P67 chipset.

There is also a version 3.1 of the P8P67 Pro board, which uses two ASMedia USB 3.0 controller chips instead of the two Renesas USB 3.0 controller chips used in version 3.0 of that same board.

Ok, I must have the 3.1 version then. I think I have the ADMedia 3.0 USB controller...

I had to disable PLL to get the damn thing to sleep and wake up correctly. Other than that... the board runs rock solid @ 4.8.

The older version used the buggy, recalled B2 stepping of the P67 chipset.

There is also a version 3.1 of the P8P67 Pro board, which uses two ASMedia USB 3.0 controller chips instead of the two Renesas USB 3.0 controller chips used in version 3.0 of that same board.

i am not at my pc now, i do not have ver 3.x, i do have a b3 revision, i know it is 1.x (maybe 1.3?). so the difference between the 1.x and the 3.x is the usb 3.0 chip?

i am not at my pc now, i do not have ver 3.x, i do have a b3 revision, i know it is 1.x (maybe 1.3?). so the difference between the 1.x and the 3.x is the usb 3.0 chip?

No. The boards themselves are marked only Ver. 1.0x. The only mention of the "Ver. 3.0" is on a sticker on the edge of the box. You have the "Rev. 3.0" board.

No. The boards themselves are marked only Ver. 1.0x. The only mention of the "Ver. 3.0" is on a sticker on the edge of the box. You have the "Rev. 3.0" board.

i know i do not have a ver 3.0 board because of when i updated the bios. they have different bios's for the different versions.

edit: i have version 1.xx b3

pro.jpg

so what is the difference between my 1.xx board and the version 3.0 board?

Last edited:
rev B 3.0 has NEC USB 3.0 controllers
rev B 3.1 has ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers

anything before rev B3 is one that was recalled (such as B2)

I have this board for a while now and it is just as the testing supported.

Just make sure you get the right drivers from Asus, lot's of people trying to update their BIOS with the ver 3.0.

If you have ver 3.1, there are only 3 BIOS'

1805 (beta)

ver 3.0 has nine, just an FYI

rev B 3.0 has NEC USB 3.0 controllers
rev B 3.1 has ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers

anything before rev B3 is one that was recalled (such as B2)

My mb is 1.xx and b3. So again I ask the question what is the difference between ver 1.xx and ver 3?

My mb is 1.xx and b3. So again I ask the question what is the difference between ver 1.xx and ver 3?

Asus releases different revisions of the same board. You won't be able to see which "version" you have in CPU-Z, other than B3. Check the board and it should say which version you have next to the product name. Ex: P8P67 Pro REV 1.01

To tell whether you have a Rev 3.0 or Rev 3.1 board, simply skim your board near the USB 3.0 ports and see if there is a USB 3.0 controller named "NEC" or "ASMedia".

Like what was mentioned earlier,

Rev 3.0 → NEC/Renesas
Rev 3.1 → ASMedia

I'm confused as to why someone would opt for a p67 board now instead of a z68.

I'm confused as to why someone would opt for a p67 board now instead of a z68.

Again with this question? This seems to come up a lot. Some people do not give a damn about Quick Sync or using the CPUs integrated GPU. Some of those same people also do not care about Smart Response Technology (SSD caching) and as a result, they might opt for P67. Also do not forget, some P67's seem to be OK enabling multiple storage controllers in RAID mode. I've yet to see a Z68 board that could do that due to reduced available option ROM space.

Any indications on the asmedia USB3 working well ?? As the NEC controller, in past ive run into issues with a few boards.

The claims on the new asmedia usb 3.0 ( note this is also a Sub company owned by asus ) fixes most of the usb 3 issues people were having before ?? ( Hopefully ). I know ive run into usb issues with older 3.0 controllers.

Any indications on the asmedia USB3 working well ?? As the NEC controller, in past ive run into issues with a few boards.

The claims on the new asmedia usb 3.0 ( note this is also a Sub company owned by asus ) fixes most of the usb 3 issues people were having before ?? ( Hopefully ). I know ive run into usb issues with older 3.0 controllers.

I've found the ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers to be better than the NEC version.

pretty sure asus used the asmedia usb 3.0 since it's cheaper for them to use instead of the NEC version.

pretty sure asus used the asmedia usb 3.0 since it's cheaper for them to use instead of the NEC version.

Their older boards used NEC controllers. Only the more recent offerings are using the ASMedia controller.

Their older boards used NEC controllers. Only the more recent offerings are using the ASMedia controller.

how does the reneses controller compare? my p8p67 pro has the reneses controller.

how does the reneses controller compare? my p8p67 pro has the reneses controller.

The Renesas is actually pretty good. In my mind it goes like this:

NEC > Renesas > ASMedia Though it's real close for those last two. They are both much better than the NEC.

The Renesas is actually pretty good. In my mind it goes like this:

NEC > Renesas > ASMedia Though it's real close for those last two. They are both much better than the NEC.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan but isn't NEC = Renesas? They both utilize the same drivers/firmware and I believe share the exact same controller (different names of course).

I still need to test the ASMedia controller on my P8Z68-V Pro but when I tested the same controller on my Asus E35M1-M Pro, it performed ~10% worse than the NEC controller on my Asus P8P67 Pro.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan but isn't NEC = Renesas? They both utilize the same drivers/firmware and I believe share the exact same controller (different names of course).

I still need to test the ASMedia controller on my P8Z68-V Pro but when I tested the same controller on my Asus E35M1-M Pro, it performed ~10% worse than the NEC controller on my Asus P8P67 Pro.

I don't know about that. I've seen different speed test results from them. That's pretty much all I really know about the controllers.

Here is the Renesas story:

The Renesas Electronics company that we know today was created last year by the merger of NEC's semiconductor division and the previous Renesas company, Renesas Technology (which was itself a merger between the semiconductor divisions of Hitachi and Mitsubishi Electric). The NEC USB 3.0 controller was designed and introduced prior to the merger. The newly merged company tweaked the NEC design and put the Renesas name on the chip.

Here is the Renesas story:

The Renesas Electronics company that we know today was created last year by the merger of NEC's semiconductor division and the previous Renesas company, Renesas Technology (which was itself a merger between the semiconductor divisions of Hitachi and Mitsubishi Electric). The NEC USB 3.0 controller was designed and introduced prior to the merger. The newly merged company tweaked the NEC design and put the Renesas name on the chip.

Well there you go. I know several ASUS boards are still using it including the Maximus IV Extreme.

It's a shame that we so rarely see reviews of the cheaper models these days. I'm looking at an upgrade to Sandy Bridge, and I have a hard time finding a reason to not just go with the vanilla P8P67 (B3). It has 8 SATA ports and doesn't really seem to lack anything significant for a single GPU user. It's also dirt cheap compared to the pro and deluxe products and most Z68 boards with 8 SATA ports.

@ Mumrik, I chose the P8P67 Pro over the vanilla one you mentioned for many reasons, one being the LAN. The Pro V3.1 is controlled by Intel 82579. The vanilla LAN is controlled by Realtek 8111E.

If you read the review here, there was testing done to these and at the larger files the Intel one beat out the Realtek by a far margin. Transferring smaller files both are equal.

Also the Pro V3.1 has S/PDIF in both optical and coaxial. The vanilla only has optical. Coaxial can handle data better at short lengths than optical. But at long lengths (over 50 feet) optical has the advantage. If you are interested;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=792192

Understand you are doing a single GPU. Prices are both the same at Newegg except the P8P67 Pro V3.1 has free shipping while the vanilla charges shipping starting at $7.87

Just some insight to think about

Thanks for the info. The very mixed feedback on Asus' P67 generation also gave me a bit cold feet. I'm now thinking about something like an Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3.

I bought this for my HTPC. Installed a small SSD and it is doing our family entertainment a world of fun. That is why I wanted the Intel LAN for all the Blue-Ray 1080P videos we watch from our media library.

I even bought another board and same set up for our 73" screen.

If you are going to game, the PCI-e slot will do you good, just get a good video card.

I also read that they (Intel) will be providing newer processors in the future so the board will be able to be used more in the future. Ivy Bridge is the name

http://www.fudzilla.net/processors/item/21621-ivy-bridge-22nm-sticks-with-socket-1155

So if you get a Core I5 2500k or the 2600k, in the future you can ditch that and get the Ivy Bridge, same LGA1155

The one thing I have had a little trould finding the info between 3.0 and 3.1 pertaining to the ability to use PCI Express 3 next year. I read that my 3.0 was going to be capable, but now they are pushing the 3.1 hard saying its PCI-E 3 compatable.

I just hope my 3.0 can make the upgrade like it has been hyped up to do so. When 3.1 came out its like people stopped talking about the 3.1 so I'm hoping they arent holding back on 3.0

The one thing I have had a little trould finding the info between 3.0 and 3.1 pertaining to the ability to use PCI Express 3 next year. I read that my 3.0 was going to be capable, but now they are pushing the 3.1 hard saying its PCI-E 3 compatable.

I just hope my 3.0 can make the upgrade like it has been hyped up to do so. When 3.1 came out its like people stopped talking about the 3.1 so I'm hoping they arent holding back on 3.0

PCI-Express 3.0 / 3.1 is going to be even less of a big deal than PCI-Express 2.0 was. We aren't saturating bandwidth offered by PCI-Express 2.0 slots. We aren't really even all that close to doing so. What we really need are PCIe controllers in the CPUs and chipsets which offer more than 20-36 PCIe lanes.

Back