EA's Origin Service Required To Play Battlefield 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
They say bad news comes in threes so, if Battlefield 3 not coming to Steam was number one and today's news that the game is going to require EA's Origin Service is number two.... what's next? :(

There has been some confusion over how EA’s new Origin service will be integrated into Battlefield 3. Battlelog plays a big part, with the ability to browse servers and join a game directly from the browser. But according to DICE’s Daniel Martos, Origin will be required in order to play Battlefield 3 if the game is bought in retail. We don’t know whether this is true if the game is downloaded through a digital download service other than Origin, but we suspect Origin will be required no matter what.

At least STEAM will run offline, I don't think Origin could do that if it wanted to, being DRM cunningly disguised as a game service.

100% certain Origin will be required no matter what.

Valve require steam to play their games :eek:

Yes it will, and it's no big deal as it's no different then Valve requiring Steam to play their games.

What's ironic is that if we checked I bet a lot of the people who are most vocal in opposing Origin, and a significant number saying "if it's not on Steam I would buy it" were raving Steam and Valve making it manditory when Half-Life 2 came out. LOL!

I guess I don't understand. Bad Company 2, which I played all the time didn't use any other service and I had to have my retail cd key to play online. Without out it, I couldn't.

Why do I need Origins again? So, I won't have to have a retail cd key to play online but I will have to have Origins now in place of the cd key, or I have to have the cd key and Origins and .... why?

What's the big deal? seriously just install it and get it over with. I love Steam as much as the next guy (Have close to 300 Steams games) but this whole "Fc*k EA Fu**&* Origin " it's getting ridiculous. Don't buy the game if you don't want to run Origin end of discussion.
Good day gentlemen! :mad:

The problem I have with it isn't having to install another extra piece of software, its that I don't trust EA to keep origin running.

Heck, they have enough problems running the few servers needed for BC2 that keep your soldiers unlock info, but we expect them to keep origin, BC3 and the BC3 web page running all the time? Yah, like that's going to happen.

I'm still on the fence about this one. I really want to play it, but I don't want to get screwed by EA, so I might just have to wait till its cheap.

At least STEAM will run offline, I don't think Origin could do that if it wanted to, being DRM cunningly disguised as a game service.

:confused:

That's exactly what Steam is too. I saw a post at Steam forums where a person claimed offline mode in Origin works better than it does in Steam.

What's ironic is that if we checked I bet a lot of the people who are most vocal in opposing Origin, and a significant number saying "if it's not on Steam I would buy it" were raving Steam and Valve making it manditory when Half-Life 2 came out. LOL!

I actually really doubt that...I remember almost everyone hated steam when hl2 came out (with reason). It didn't add anything to the game and was just an annoyance.

I hope origin is at least better than steam was at launch...

With Steam you can and always could go "offline" and play single player without the neeed for connection.

I doubt this will be the case with EA. I detest having to be jacked into some server to play a single player game, it makes no sense at all......multiplayer obviously.

I also don't like the fact that if I want to play BF3 SP I'll have to D/L Origin to do so.....even if i buy the game retail and do not plan on playing MP.

Conveniently gives them a way to "retire" the game at will forcing people to pay for a new version.

Yes it will, and it's no big deal as it's no different then Valve requiring Steam to play their games.

While I get what you are saying, Steam was here first. I own 140 games on Steam, it's my entire catalog... everything in one place. I've even repurchased a few games that were Steam sales, just so I don't need to keep the discs or cd-keys around. I like having everything in one place, and BF3 is preventing me from doing that.

If the tables were turned, and Origin had been around for years and Steam was the underdog, I'd be just as miffed at Valve for uprooting my ability to keep all my games in one place.

I'm still going to get BF3 because I know its going to be amazing, but I'm not happy about being forced into Origin (for this, or future titles).

hmm I was there for that. I don't think steam was initially required I wanna I was able to just just install the discs. Steam for updates came a bit after. At the time other download services didn't exist. Steam was actually awesome DRM compared to the rootkits like securerom.

I guess it's the goodwill thing. Steam and Valve are to extent basement dwelling nerds making games for gamers. I mean how many games have they literally given away? 3 or 4 now. EA is a publisher through and through. Every decision revolves are how much more money they squeeze out of gaming until the market isn't profitable anymore and they move on.

If I went to Valve headquarters I could shoot the shit about games with most anybody in there or CANDY

If I went to EA headquarters I better have a pie chart and stock quotes.

It all reminds of the movie "TOYS" Valve is the before the general took over and EA is the after.

Conveniently gives them a way to "retire" the game at will forcing people to pay for a new version.

Because when BC2 came out DICE retired every old Battlefield game forcing you to buy the new one. :rolleyes: You people need to get a fucking grip.

Lawl?

If you want to compare the heavy-handedness of DRM, your Steam games are far more tightly integrated into that service than your Origin games are. From my experiences with Origin so far, it seems to take most of its cues from Impulse rather than Steam, except EA actually has money to toss at Origin and was able to hire a lot of ex-Xfire employees when Xfire got bought-out thus had an experienced team from the start, so Origin is a fair bit more polished than Impulse.

Honestly, the only serious complaint you can really have about Origin being required is that atm it's still considered beta software. I don't know if that will change in time for BF3's release though, and it's quite possible it will.

Either way, personally quite happy with Origin because it's actually a fine client even if it's lacking in features (time should fix that), and it's a proper competitor to Steam in many ways with the financial backing to ensure that. If Steam is continued to allow to be where it is... I believe we call that a "monopoly" and the PC platform effectively becomes a console... and I'm not a fan of the proprietary nature of consoles. At all.

You mean Steam will run in offline mode SOMETIMES. Google "steam offline mode not working" ;) Have fun playing your multiplayer game offline anyways... and for the rest of my Origin games the damn doesn't even need to be open for me to launch my games, try that with Steam.

With Steam you can and always could go "offline" and play single player without the neeed for connection.

Except sometimes it has a brain fart and won't allow the game to run until you go online first and then offline again. I've had that happen to me more than once and I have seen others post with the same issue at the Steam forums.

EA had been improving their consumer friendliness over the past few years while Activision replaced them as the biggest dicks in gaming. Now it seems their trying their damndest to wrestle back that title.

I don't like this move. Sure, now it's one more client, but then more and more publishers will pump out their own platform. I don't want that for two reasons.

#1 I don't want that many programs and logins on my computer.
#2 I don't want to lose games to platforms that die off. Publishers go out of business all the time. Some of these big companies might not, but I also don't trust them to "keep the lights on" after they stop supporting a platform if it is abandoned. I've got several games on Steam from companies that no longer exist, but I'll continue to have access to the games.

Maybe I'll still get BF3, but I'll probably wait til after launch before I even consider it. I'm expecting EA to try to squeeze money this time around, so I'm betting they'll copy the $15 recycled map packs of MW2/BlackOps. I really don't like supporting anti-consumer moves, and I've had no problem skipping games in the past. There are just so many games to fill my limited time, no title is a "must buy" to me anymore.

I don't know why everyone gets so vocal and pessimistic about Origin. I installed it for the BF3 Alpha and I don't see the big deal. I didn't think it was a bad front end and guess what? All of my shit I bought for BF2 (Armored Fury, etc) and BF2142 (Northern Strike) is still available for my to download without issue.

EA might not be the best, most ethical company in the business but there is nothing wrong with Origin. All of my games I purchased back with EA Downloader are still live and well. Just because it has the EA label on it doesn't mean it's automatically shit. And for those that are going to "skip" BF3 because of this... it's your loss.

How many of you don't have a dedicated internet line?

I thought so.

So stop talking about offline mode like it even matters.

God you people are so fuckin dumb! can't you see this is the way games sales and the market is going in general? all your fucking games are going to require a digital distrubution method. So ea wanted to create their own service and compete with steam so be it. If you actually tried origins you will find out that its not any different than steam its light weight doesn't use much resouces and operates exactly the same as steam. You can even say steam is a form of DRM. Your complaining about nothing and what you should be concerned with right now is BF3 a good game or not ? Not the fucking distrubution method you dumb shits!

you guys are a bunch of loyal fucktards with your head so far up valves ass that you can't even see that this is good for us as the conusmer since it will create competition and nice price war between the variest digital distros. You the consumer will win with lower game prices and good deals. who fucken cares where you get it? as long as you get it good and cheap? hey dumbasses that want all their shit in one place on steam there is a " ADD A NON-STEAM GAME FEATURE IN STEAM" so you can see all your games on steam

I dont think Origin is that bad. I mean don't get me wrong I love steam and everything about it.

But I wont let this stupid fight between ea and steam ruin my BF3 fun.

Plus I will need Origin to play Star Wars The Old Republic.....might as well get BF3.

I really wish steam and EA would work something out.

Removing themselves from Steam completely removes BF3 from competing with MW3. Marketing geniuses. This was the wrong time to make a stand over this issue.
I am fine with games being on multiple services, but excluding other services from participation, especially when it seems to be intentionally engineered to be that way and make Valve look like the bad guy, is the absolute worst way to go about it.
I am incredibly unhappy with this, especially since I had issues with EA with DA:O and ME2, where their craptastic servers would rob me of either being able to play the game, or of my DLC (and therefore from using my saves that use the DLC). To know that they are further herding their games into a service which I imagine to be as equally mired in horrible service as their previous games have experienced, makes me unhappy. It's not as simple as Steam vs Origin being the same entities. One is far more stable than the other, has a shining good record, and is generally loved by PC gamers. The other is just know for infuriating practices.

You the consumer will win with lower game prices and good deals.
Exactly. I preordered BF3 ~a week ago off Origin and got Dead Space 2 for free (alongside all the other BF3-related goodies). Have been wanting Dead Space 2 for awhile but have never been a fan of $60 for PC games (console games have royalties... and certification... that's why they've had the $10 premium... but people bought Modern Failfare 2 on PC for $60 so I can't really blame other companies for following suit, but I don't have to abide by it either) so even if I leave the conservative $50 for BF3 and $10 for Dead Space 2 split, I'm quite happy.

Don't buy the game if you don't want to run Origin end of discussion.
Good day gentlemen! :mad:

The issue is that EA and Valve now have services. Blizz/Acti has one forming (battle.net). A few years from now we'll have 5+ different background services that must be run just to play a game from that developer/conglomerate.

Along with each service comes overhead, plus another program that has to be opened/closed before starting the game. Each one has their own login, which means yet another chance to give away your personal info, which means another chance for it be compromised, as well as a chance for your info to be sold to advertisers, along with the advertisements the services will be streaming to you while you're using the main UI of the program too.

People "like" steam because it has matured, it works, and it's just better than anything else the competition have brought to the table. We don't like Steam, but its lesser of all the evils.

----Speculation Below----
Then, further down the road we're going to get subscription based services. Want to play Battlefield? Your only option will be to subscribe to the universal EA Online Service, at $19.99 a month. Want to play a blizzard game ? Gotta pay the universal Blizz/Acti Online Service. It'll essentially be like paying for cable tv, but with games.

And then the random price increases come.

Exactly. I preordered BF3 ~a week ago off Origin and got Dead Space 2 for free (alongside all the other BF3-related goodies). Have been wanting Dead Space 2 for awhile but have never been a fan of $60 for PC games (console games have royalties... and certification... that's why they've had the $10 premium... but people bought Modern Failfare 2 on PC for $60 so I can't really blame other companies for following suit, but I don't have to abide by it either) so even if I leave the conservative $50 for BF3 and $10 for Dead Space 2 split, I'm quite happy.

+1

Pick up BF3 Limited Edition, Crysis 2, & C&C 4 for 62.00 via Origin the other day, whoever offers the best deal gets my money as simple as that.

From my point of view, I want to keep my digital collection under one roof. I don't use any other service other than Steam, for convenience. However, since they do offer a retail option, I'm in for one. I know it still requires Origin to play, but since it has physical media I can separate it (mentally if anything) from my digital collection and be happy :)

Someday I hope I can buy a game from wherever, and choose my gaming platform. If I want to activate Steam as a frontend for my game so I can chat and share with my friends, so be it. If I want Origin, I can do that too.

The fact that the publishers and distributors are the same as the content makers is where the customer loses out.

Just a FYI for all those bitching about $60 games -

Adventure 2600 for Atari was released in 1979 and cost $29.99. That is nearly $90 adjusted for inflation.

I don't trust EA to make something that requires nearly 100% uptime. I have Origin, and it doesn't seem that bad, but I already have all my friends on Steam and Xbox Live, now I need to re-add all my friends on Origin.

Back