Airbags For Cell Phones?

I can see cell makers implementing this stupid idea just because after they deployed, you would need to bring it back in for repairs, out of pocket of course.

Of course, Apple phones are magic and just hover an inch off the ground if you drop them, anyway.

Here's a better idea: make a padded cover for the thing.

What about this:

A transparent beach ball with a glove sewn attached to it. You put your hand into the glove and use the phone as normal. The phone is suspended into the middle of the ball. You drop it, it bounces.

A gazzilion dollars please! Thankyou! :D

what if it falls on the other side?

Butter toast effect overrides that?? :D

I can see someone modding these and launching their phone into the air with them... or some hacker managed to set them off remotely... while the phone is in someones pants.. OUCH

what if it falls on the other side?

It comes with a stick of butter which you put on the airbag side ensuring it always lands butter side down.

Alternatively you could avoid the expense of the airbags by strapping your phone to the back of a cat. Just don't butter the phone and put it on the cat or the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe. Granted, that's a worse case scenario.

I have always been under the impression that anyone who yapped excessively on a cell phone was known as an airbag. :p

Alternatively you could avoid the expense of the airbags by strapping your phone to the back of a cat. Just don't butter the phone and put it on the cat or the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe. Granted, that's a worse case scenario.

Fallacious! It would hover. This is how hovercars work, but with cat essense. Take the sound of a hovercraft engine and raise the pitch. It sounds like a cat. :p

Wouldn't work. To anyone who doesn't know how an airbag in a car works, it is essentially an explosion of gas that fills the airbag when triggered by a collision sensor. Those gases come out fast and hot, probably burn the shit out of your hands on accident by smacking your phone too hard.

Wouldn't work. To anyone who doesn't know how an airbag in a car works, it is essentially an explosion of gas that fills the airbag when triggered by a collision sensor. Those gases come out fast and hot, probably burn the shit out of your hands on accident by smacking your phone too hard.

Heh...reminds me of when a dumb teller of mine gave a merchant a dye pack instead of $2k in $20s. Walks out the door...poof!

It's probably just him patenting the idea so he can sit on it (because, yes, the idea and implementation would be ridiculous) and then sue anyone else that tries to do it.

Fun.

I'm no physics teacher, or expert, but wouldn't the airbags just make the phone flip, or rebound once it hit's the floor?

The rebound would be worse because it will carry all that momentum with it and send it off into something else, like the road, a puddle, or something just as hard as the concrete it was going to hit.

Now if it cocooned the phone so even if it bounced, that would be handy, but ultimately a useless idea, your going to have to pay a substantial amount either way to get it reset or the phone replaced.

Anyone read Snow Crash? This reminds me of the airbags they had built into their clothes.

I cam up with this exact same idea many years ago as well... Not a hard one to imagine...

I hope they actually make an airbag case. That way I could win this contest. Of course I'd have to break my pact with the devil and buy an iPhune first.

I'm no physics teacher, or expert, but wouldn't the airbags just make the phone flip, or rebound once it hit's the floor?

The rebound would be worse because it will carry all that momentum with it and send it off into something else, like the road, a puddle, or something just as hard as the concrete it was going to hit.

Now if it cocooned the phone so even if it bounced, that would be handy, but ultimately a useless idea, your going to have to pay a substantial amount either way to get it reset or the phone replaced.

it shouldn't bounce, with an airbag in the car it absorbs your force off of it, it doesn't throw you back into the back seat of the car. same should happen here. if the phone fell on to the airbag it should absorb the inpact to a point. wouldn't fully absorb all the force, but could absorb it to the point of not shattering.

Just wait for one to go off accidentally and kill a child. Or multiple phones being used as a bomb to bring down a plane.

Nice try inventor dude

Back