Crysis 2 DX11 Crashes *GTX 580*

JLangevin

[H]ard|Gawd
***Long post, read bottom for cliff-notes version***

Ok so I was super excited to build my new rig and one of the first games I picked up was Crysis 2. I was playing the game for a few hours and left the settings at the recommended settings which happened to be Ultra... so I figured, "sweet, lets play some crysis!"

After a couple of hours, I decided to root around the settings and noticed that DX11 was disabled. I was a little disappointed so I decided to download the patch and see what it was all about.

After the patch was complete (I didnt download the hi-res textures)I played the game and of course, my FPS dropped a bit, and quite noticable... then after about 10 min, the game would crash, screen would go black, and the sound would loop/freeze. CTRL+ALT+Del allowed me to go to task manager and end the game which stopped responding. So I loaded it up again and this time it crashed upon Resuming the game.

I decided to back off my overclock of my 580 to stock speeds with no luck. I rebooted the system and again, the game crashed upon resuming play. Reloading the game once again I decided to disable DX11 and viola, the game runs smooth and doesnt crash.

This didnt seem like a driver crash to me as the game itself stoppd responding and the OS and video for windows works fine, but I decided to try the beta 280 driver from guru3d and the same issue happened. I even rolled it back further to 270 and the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? The Card is an EVGA GTX 580

:::CLIFFNOTES:::

-Crysis 2 on DX10 runs for hours with no issues
-Crysis 2 on DX11 runs for 10 minutes then crashes to black screen. Windows still responds
-End Task for Crysis 2 and reload the game, game crashes immediately once game is resumed
-Reboot didnt solve issue
-Guru3D drivers for 280 didnt solve problem
-Rollback to 270 drivers didnt solve probme
-Disable DX11 solved problem
-What is problem??

I was getting CTD with Crysis 2 with GTX 580 SLI. This was with everything maxed out with DX11 and HD textures. I played around with the overclocks but nothing seemed to fix it until I gave it more voltage via MSI Afterburner. Once I upped the voltage, all the CTD issues disappeared.

Since yours is a reference cooler, I would monitor the temps very closely as it can start to get a little toasty while Crysis 2 is running. See if a voltage bump or two helps also.

Still using 275.33 drivers cuz I'm too lazy to update it.

My overclocked 580 reference card runs Crysis 2 at Ultra without DX11 at a max of 65*c so temps are pretty good, but I will definitely watch it if I bump up the voltage. I personally find it surprising that I should have to bump voltage to play a game.... expecially with a card of the 580's caliber.

***Long post, read bottom for cliff-notes version***

Ok so I was super excited to build my new rig and one of the first games I picked up was Crysis 2. I was playing the game for a few hours and left the settings at the recommended settings which happened to be Ultra... so I figured, "sweet, lets play some crysis!"

After a couple of hours, I decided to root around the settings and noticed that DX11 was disabled. I was a little disappointed so I decided to download the patch and see what it was all about.

After the patch was complete (I didnt download the hi-res textures)I played the game and of course, my FPS dropped a bit, and quite noticable... then after about 10 min, the game would crash, screen would go black, and the sound would loop/freeze. CTRL+ALT+Del allowed me to go to task manager and end the game which stopped responding. So I loaded it up again and this time it crashed upon Resuming the game.

I decided to back off my overclock of my 580 to stock speeds with no luck. I rebooted the system and again, the game crashed upon resuming play. Reloading the game once again I decided to disable DX11 and viola, the game runs smooth and doesnt crash.

This didnt seem like a driver crash to me as the game itself stoppd responding and the OS and video for windows works fine, but I decided to try the beta 280 driver from guru3d and the same issue happened. I even rolled it back further to 270 and the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? The Card is an EVGA GTX 580

I assume you updated your DirectX with the webupdater. This sounds like a bad driver install to me. Did you uninstall the drivers and use driver sweeper to clean it? Don't forget to select the clean install checkbox when you're installing the drivers.

When the DX 11 patch cameout there was a "correct" way to update the game. I forgot the steps it was listed at the mycrysis website. Maybe you missed a step?

Also about the voltage increase for it to be stable. My roomate has a stock GTX 580 and he has no issue running crysis 2 on the highest setting with DX 11 enabled.

I think the stock voltages on the GTX 580's were set to a conservative level due to concern about overall power consumption since users made a big funk about it with the GTX 480's.

Crysis 2 with DX11 enabled has some of the best use of tessellation I've seen. I sometimes stop fighting altogether just to checkout different tessellation effects on brick walls, roads, and other surfaces. Really cool stuff, especially if it's implemented well.

I think due to heavy graphical processing the card does when Crysis 2 is run, a voltage bump or two becomes necessary especially if the card is OC'd. I run my GTX 580's 900/1800/2200 with 1.125v when running Crysis 2. If I set it below this voltage, I get random CTD's.

What is the stock voltage? I was using EVGAs tuner, but obviously it doesnt let me play with the voltage.

Ill have to see if this makes a difference. i havent pushed my 580 past 800mhz yet.

What is the stock voltage? I was using EVGAs tuner, but obviously it doesnt let me play with the voltage.

Ill have to see if this makes a difference. i havent pushed my 580 past 800mhz yet.

I use MSI Afterburner instead of EVGA's program. Virtually the same but I noticed the MSI version has few more settings and it gets updated often.

I'm not sure what the default voltage for your card is since it can vary depending on the manufacturer I believe. I think 1.03-1.05v is about the norm for default. Mine shows up as 1.05v for default under Afterburner.

For my ASUS GTX 570 there was a BIOS update for it that said in the release notes "improved stability of DX11 games." Maybe EVGA might have something similar?

Ok so the problem is solved, and I'm not sure exactly what it was since I did several things.

Here are the things I did since this post was started.

1. Downloaded the newest drivers that just released from nVidia, the (280.26)
2. Made sure that I use Driver Sweeper before installing the newest drivers
3. Ditched EVGA's OC tool for MSI Overdrive
4. Bumped up the volage from 1.0v to 1.1v
5. OCd the card from 772mhz to 850/1700/2200memory

I just played a full hour on Crysis 2 in DX11 mode with no issues.

I dont know which one of these items fixed the issue, but I suspect that 1-4 would have done it... I just overclock everything I own and that is probably secondary to the resolution.

Hey guys I had the same issue and I solved it by increasing the voltage to the cards using MSI Afterburner.

Stock voltage (assuming MSI Afterburner is correct) was 1v (1000mv). After I increased this to 1050mv the game quit crashing and I can play for hours on end.

Long story short, either slow your clocks down or increase the voltage to the card. Either will likely cure the problem.

I've had to increase voltage on my 570's for DX11 Crysis 2 as well.

Back