Expert: Rural US Websites Easy Target for Hackers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did we really need an expert to tell us that websites for small town businesses don't have the same level of security as huge corporations and government entities?

"It seems to me to be low-hanging fruit," said Dick Mackey, vice president of consulting at Sudbury, Mass.-based SystemExperts. "The smaller the organization, the more likely that they don't think of themselves as potential targets. They're not going to have the protections in place that a larger organization will have."

No-Sh!t!!!, our site gets hammered constantly.finally blocked several overseas subnets that were hammering it constantly.

we are only on a T-1 link, so it is pretty obvious when they hammer us. network bandwidth goes over 90% and we start shutting down web services.
It takes strong up-to-date firewalls and good rule sets to thwart attacks. (most rural companies follow "It's working why mess with it" and do not update like they should)

I am sorry, it has to be done.

Dumb_sign.jpg

Like Steve said, do we really need an expert? Honestly, I am just jealous and hatin. I want to be paid to do overly obvious studies and make retarded statements that everyone with an IQ above 80 should know. :(

Back