5 Ways Technology Is Actually Getting Worse

HardOCP News

[H] News
What? Only five ways technology is getting worse? I can think of a dozen right off the top of my head. What about you?

2.) The end of all-you-can-eat internet
Unfortunately, the days of an all-you-can-eat internet buffet are drawing to an end. We tend to imagine the internet — and our access to it — as an unlimited resource; as long as you can get online, you're all set, right? Wrong.

SSDs are that are not only differentiated by size, but also artificially slowed down for the smaller sizes. What happened to tech companies making the best product possible? Perhaps they should spend more time on validation since they all seem to have issues, and less time on artificial performance caps.

They need to change the article to 1 way tech is getting worse...the rest are just wrong.

SSDs are that are not only differentiated by size, but also artificially slowed down for the smaller sizes. What happened to tech companies making the best product possible? Perhaps they should spend more time on validation since they all seem to have issues, and less time on artificial performance caps.

Are they really artificially slowed? I thought it was due to larger capacity models having more memory modules and thus able to write to more simultaneously.

I can't believe this guy is already calling it on "all you can eat internet" when there are countries installing/already have fiber 100 Mbit and up for unlimited connections. Maybe he's just referring to countries with abusive monopolies.

Cell Phones.Cell phones suck these days. Digital voice sucks.

I could understand people a whole lot better back in the analog days.

Now they have compressed the signals so much (and continue to increase compression so they can keep adding users without adding equipment) that a persons voice is barely audible.

56k MP3's sounds better.

Are they really artificially slowed? I thought it was due to larger capacity models having more memory modules and thus able to write to more simultaneously.

No, you're correct. He has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Every SSD controller has a fixed amount of lanes. The more storage you have, the more lanes that are occupied. There's nothing artificial about it - it's simple math.

And in regards to technology being worse? Media Tablets. Definitely media tablets. iPads, Playbooks, Android tablets, etc. They're all shit, and they're all taking computing backwards by decades.

Agree 100% with cell phones. The last phone I used that had decent voice was an analog Motorola back around 1995. The splitting of bandwidth for digital voice has done nothing but make cell phones pure hell to use.

And as for "all you can eat internet", it's crucial that we do not lose that concept for consumers. We will never move technology forward and have, for example, streaming Blue-Ray quality video unless bandwidth is essentially unlimited over land lines.

And in regards to technology being worse? Media Tablets. Definitely media tablets. iPads, Playbooks, Android tablets, etc. They're all shit, and they're all taking computing backwards by decades.

They need to fix the heat issue. That is what is holding back tablets and cell phones. Smaller is good, but they can't dissipate the heat to be able to provide the needed performance.

They need to fix the heat issue. That is what is holding back tablets and cell phones. Smaller is good, but they can't dissipate the heat to be able to provide the needed performance.

They need to fix the fact they're USELESS. Cost as much as a decent laptop and have half the functionality with a stripped down browser and no decent file explorer to speak of.

Article is 100% misleading and BS.

Anyone want to go back 10 years in any of those technologies?

I dont!

Article is 100% misleading and BS.

Anyone want to go back 10 years in any of those technologies?

I dont!

You clearly didn't RTFA.

Points 1 and 2 are both completely valid.

Employers using social media to do psudo background checks for information that should never be available to them and that verges on privacy invasion and discrimination is a huge step backwards. There are plenty of reasons why I completely refuse to use crap like facebook and twitter, but this is a major one.

Also bandwidth caps are a huge negative as well. Now obviously he is referring mostly to the US as the article is us. However Europe and Canada also have extremely harsh usage caps. This is a huge blow to innovation and consumer choice because in all of these areas the consumer has little to no choice on ISP.

No, you're correct. He has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Every SSD controller has a fixed amount of lanes. The more storage you have, the more lanes that are occupied. There's nothing artificial about it - it's simple math.

Check the latest Tom's article on the Crucial M4 -- they noted that the speed degraded far more than would be expected with the smallest 64GB size. Yes I am aware of speed changes due to nand configurations. They even point out that the 128GB bests the 256GB sometimes due to this effect.

The 5 real ways technology has gotten ass backwards.

#1 Wireless keyboards and mice. There's no reason for having it, and you have connection issues. Not to forget, batteries.
#2 Wireless internet at home. For the lazy person who doesn't want to run a wire to their router. Disconnection issues for Netflix and online gaming is usually because of this.
#3 Tablets. All the power of a cell phone with the size of a laptop, for the low low price of $500+.
#4 Multi-core CPUs. Most applications don't use more then 1 core, and therefore having a dual or quad core can feel useless. Now I hear 8 cores soon? Though this is more the fault of the applications themselves.
#5 Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Slower, consumes more battery, and yet still doesn't have a market share beyond 1%. In fact, it's lost market share compared to before.

I just remember about computer sound. To me it's gotten far worse. Remember Sound Storm? How does it feel to own a modern Nforce chipset, but only to realize that the Nforce 1 & 2 had the best sound ever. I believe it's the only hardware DDL sound card to ever exist. Everything else is done with software. On top of that, most modern sound cards have no 3D sound. We now use the CPU to do all that business.

I just felt that sound got much worse nowadays. Where's my freakin SoundStorm Nvidia?

Check the latest Tom's article on the Crucial M4 -- they noted that the speed degraded far more than would be expected with the smallest 64GB size. Yes I am aware of speed changes due to nand configurations. They even point out that the 128GB bests the 256GB sometimes due to this effect.

Performance is even less now that they've moved to 25nm NAND compared to 34nm NAND.

They can fit more storage in each individual NAND die, thus there are different package amounts. It's perfectly normal. There's no artificial limitations put on it.

really gotta disagree with these two points

#2 Wireless internet at home. For the lazy person who doesn't want to run a wire to their router. Disconnection issues for Netflix and online gaming is usually because of this.

i'm not lazy by any means. but keep in mind some people have larger older homes that dont have ethernet built into the walls like a new home may. with all the rooms i need to ensure internet access to, wireless is the ONLY option as far as i'm concerned. kinda stupid to say i'm lazy cause i use wireless :rolleyes:

#4 Multi-core CPUs. Most applications don't use more then 1 core, and therefore having a dual or quad core can feel useless. Now I hear 8 cores soon? Though this is more the fault of the applications themselves.

i'll trade u my old coppermine for your dual core - u can't loose :D

#1 Wireless keyboards and mice. There's no reason for having it, and you have connection issues. Not to forget, batteries.
#3 Tablets. All the power of a cell phone with the size of a laptop, for the low low price of $500+.
#5 Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Slower, consumes more battery, and yet still doesn't have a market share beyond 1%. In fact, it's lost market share compared to before.

Really?

1) No reason to have Wired. Wireless has same performance, and a "GOOD" wireless mouse has li-ion batteries (see logitech G7 and Performance MX). No connection issues, yet again quit buying cheap crap. Wired on the other hand has always been a bane when it comes to the cable hanging when I need to move the mouse fast. Wireless keyboard, ok I'll agree..pointless.

2) Has nothing to do with being lazy and everything to do with being unnecessary. Remember the quality of mouse comment? Same goes for a router. Buy a good router and connection speed is a non issue. I stream Netflix HD and 720p content wirelessly all day without issue to my PS3. Only limiting factor on 1080 is the wireless built into the ps3, I can stream it to my laptop fine. Quit buying cheap crap and assuming because your ghetto box 2000 sucked, everything else must as well.

3) Tablets - Agreed.

4) You clearly aren't a gamer, programmer or an artist..I have more then a few applications that take full advantage of my 6 core. This easily has to go down as one of the dumbest statements I have witnessed this year.

5) As a former long time Linux user, I can't disagree.

really gotta disagree with these two points

i'm not lazy by any means. but keep in mind some people have larger older homes that dont have ethernet built into the walls like a new home may. with all the rooms i need to ensure internet access to, wireless is the ONLY option as far as i'm concerned. kinda stupid to say i'm lazy cause i use wireless :rolleyes:

Gotta agree with this. Nothing says lazy like running an ethernet cable across a room or through multiple rooms to a router for someone else to trip over. Not everyone has or can install ethernet connections in every room.

Employers using social media to do psudo background checks for information that should never be available to them and that verges on privacy invasion and discrimination is a huge step backwards. There are plenty of reasons why I completely refuse to use crap like facebook and twitter, but this is a major one.
And there is the solution. People are just dumb enough to put all their information out there because they are narcissists. I can't feel bad or blame employers. People are just dumb that way.

I thought I was a pessimist before until reading some of you guys. Guys are talking about some stupid shit honestly. Like above.....lol

The whole idea of technology making us dumb is something that has long since bugged me and I'm against the whole concept. The only time this becomes an issue is in the extraordinary circumstance of technology being wiped out, also these things that 'there's an app for that' really only relate to things that to relate to our technological modern lifestyle. throughout my schooling I was very good at maths, top of my class primary and highschool, did calculus etc. However unlike most people, I never learned my times tables, as in i wasn't able to instantly regurgitate it, I calculate 6x7 the same way i would calculate 27x482 in my head or more to the point by using a calculator. I cannot train my brain to do things in a way that is less efficient, its like my brain wont let me waste space on useless information.

This is a ridiculous luddite mentality. oh no lets destroy the loom people can't remember how to weave by hand anymore. I suppose we should cut off our scheme water pipelines cas people have forgotten how to collect water in clay pots and carry them home. Perhaps we should get rid of our houses cas we've forgotten how to fend off wild animals trying to eat us. If an app can make my life easier and I can rely on it there is no reason to learn that skill, better to leave my internal storage for things there isn't an app for yet.

As for the shortfalls of tech. I think a major shortfall is that comparatively the utilization of hardware with a reduced instruction set is diminishing. Today its cheaper to get some generic mass produced chip that works for 'all of the above' and base the software/firmware around it. This has many disadvantages. Firstly stability is compromised, firstly because electricity isn't perfect and more circuits equates to more chance of failure, also compatibility between the software/hardware is often dubious also the hardware may be changed from underneath it due to pricing or whatever causing glitches and freezes. More circuits equals more heat, more energy consumption and shorter lifespan. It used to be a necessity for the hardware to match the software because there was only so much you could pack in there. But today hardware as with software coding wasted space is not of anyones concern. Software these days wastes a lot of space with redundant code, software used to be in bytes, then kilobytes, then megabytes and some software now gigabytes.. and really this software isn't worlds apart...

Wish more games had tcp/ip connections options, don’t like being obligated.

1. Disagree with you on the wireless peripherals.. I dunno about you but my computers aren't in a stuffy 'study' with a desk and a chair, footrest. My missus has a 'business' computer in the study but my main two PCs are in the Lounge and Bedroom. Neither have a desk etc etc (the bedroom has a place for the keyboard/mouse on the shelf below the monitor in the TV cabinet its in) the mice/kb travel around the lounge/bedroom having wired peripheral devices would be an absolute nightmare. The performance on my Razer Mamba is just great when used wireless (it also has the option of being wired).

2. I kinda agree with you on wireless networking in the home.. It is shit... It always drops out for no reason.. the bandwidth is a joke... however for your 'standard' user they can be ok for laptops or whatever... Personally I kitted my house out with Cat6a as I have a lot of data travelling about which I would never dream of using wireless for...

3. Tablets are good for tablet things.. Its not a computer its a mobile portal into a few apps like email/web etc... use a table for tablet things and they're fine... try to use it for PC things then YOaR doWen it WroNG

4. A world without multicore CPUs??? Get the fuck outta here... Life is grand when you run 12-cores (dual-x5670) like I do on my PC in the lounge room.. You can run as many programs as you like without ever hitting speedbumps.. You certainly notice the jump from 1 to 2 cores or 2 to 4 cores or 4 to 12 cores... Sure single core would be fine if they called that famous operating system "Window" but they call it "WindowS"

5. Yep you're certainly right. Unless it has a very specific stand alone server task Linux is 100% pure shit. I think anyone using for a desktop OS is either insane, confused or retarded (or perhaps really cheap and honest). I've learned how to use it, everything is needlessly complicated Windows: Open raid manager, create raid array, done - Linux: **two hours of crunching the keyboard** wait wait wait **more crunching** nearly done **crunching***. Driver support is a joke... doesn't support driver-based raid for Intel Controller Host (i think would have to be THE MOST common raid controller in the world) no instead you have to use mdadm to create the array... so much if you wanted cross-platform... It underutilizes resources and responds much slower than Win7. Linux is only good as a back end for certain server applications not as a desktop..

However Europe and Canada also have extremely harsh usage caps. This is a huge blow to innovation and consumer choice because in all of these areas the consumer has little to no choice on ISP.

I have no usage cap, nor do my friends in the UK, Germany, Finland, Spain, France etc. etc. Nor do people in China, Japan etc. etc.

Theres no reason to have wireless crap at a desk. Though I could see it's point for a media PC connected to the TV or something. Just people have to understand they are horribad for playing fast paced games and several other things. Facebook games and normal web browsing they are probably ok for.

Wireless internet is useful for when you can't run cables. If the layout of your house is spread around, or you want to set up a network quickly then wireless is great. Or if your house owner doesn't want you drilling cables...:( Also wi-fi = free internet. Going to a cafe and everyone plugging in CAT5 would be silly.

Tablets suck, and I still can't think of anything I want to do on them. But I also am not a fan of slow assed laptops. For mobile computing = SFF :D

Multicore is used by lots of applications. I've got several tasks that use all 8 threads to 100% rather routinely. I'd either have to go 8p or have a single core 33.6gh/z processor to get the same kind of power :p

Linux is a very small market. For normal consumers it pretty user unfriendly. I would much rather show someone how to use windows than ubuntu. Linux does have it's place like servers/supercomputers. Where it's very suitable due to the uptime (you can update the OS without restarting as long as it doesn't contain the central kernel) but most users will not get much extra functionality out of it, and windows provides pretty much eveything that 99% of PC users want without playing around so is a much more user friendly enviroment. Sure you can run wine, but you can also run vmplayer with debian in it. All while not waiting for driver support.

Theres no reason to have wireless crap at a desk. Though I could see it's point for a media PC connected to the TV or something. Just people have to understand they are horribad for playing fast paced games and several other things. Facebook games and normal web browsing they are probably ok for.

So there is no reason to have wireless crap at a desk, but it is ok for web browsing and facebook games? Which is it? Are you arguing that they have limited usefulness depending on the app or are you arguing they have no place at all? Sorry for nitpicking but this argument contradicts itself.

I have 3 computers at my desk. Two desktops and and a laptop. My main PC is gaming, and thus uses a wired g15 keyboard and a razer lachesis mouse. When I have my laptop at my desk I tend to use a cheepy wireless mouse instead of the track pad. It helps to clear wire clutter from my desk since I have that mouse just to the right of my main mouse, and look left about 45 degrees from my main screen over to my laptop screen when I use it. I also use a wireless mouse and keyboard for my other file server/back up pc since the distance from my sitting position to the tower is longer than the peripherals cords would allow.

Often times I have documents and books across my desk space when I am working. I need space to write and cords get in the way. Is any of that without reason or make wireless useless or lazy? Why wouldn't wireless have a place at my desk?

As a rule of thumb you may be right.. but there are exceptions to that. My Razer Mamba is bluetooth and is great for gaming.. My logitech mx and m950 weren't so bad either. however the bluetooth mouse that came with my Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 makes me want to smash it into the screen.

Tablets suck, and I still can't think of anything I want to do on them. But I also am not a fan of slow assed laptops. For mobile computing = SFF :D
web browsing, checking emails, reading and maybe a game of scrabble. If these are your expectations then you won't be disappointed. However if you for some reason are deluded into thinking it'd be great for photoshop or anything taxing then you're gonna have a bad time. I'm considering getting an iPad (despite it going against everything i stand for) for the simple fact I spend a lot of time on public transport (2.5hours a day) and it would be much nicer to use for browsing [H] or maybe watching a TV show or two.

Its just like you COULD drive 5 people across the country in a smartcar but.. well... you probably shouldn't.... but if you want to quickly nip down the shops.. sure why not

also the iPad has to be the most comfortable er.. natural feeling OS i've ever used for basic applications. Would i consider using it at home.. no..

Are you sure you're posting this on the right forum? This is [H], not my grandmother's book club. I can't imagine myself using anything with less than two cores these days.

Are you sure you're posting this on the right forum? This is [H], not my grandmother's book club. I can't imagine myself using anything with less than two cores these days.

hell 2 cores piss me off... my work computer has only 2 cores... i'm having to run Opera browser on here cas running Firefox makes it shit itself (probably more due to ram tho)... I don't like Opera its seriously lacking. Any less than 12 cores you may as well pack up and go home lol.

2. I kinda agree with you on wireless networking in the home.. It is shit... It always drops out for no reason.. the bandwidth is a joke... however for your 'standard' user they can be ok for laptops or whatever...

You people complaining about wi-fi haven't been in a house without it for a while, I'd bet. You'd be surprised how weird it is now to not have wi-fi available.

And if you get random drop outs, you're doing it wrong. I've got a Buffalo buffalo whr g54s with DD-WRT on it and it's rock solid. Only problem I ever had with it was an old pre-wireless-networking microwave that leaked a lot of interference that killed my bandwidth.

You people complaining about wi-fi haven't been in a house without it for a while, I'd bet. You'd be surprised how weird it is now to not have wi-fi available.

And if you get random drop outs, you're doing it wrong. I've got a Buffalo buffalo whr g54s with DD-WRT on it and it's rock solid. Only problem I ever had with it was an old pre-wireless-networking microwave that leaked a lot of interference that killed my bandwidth.

I've got 300Mbps wireless-N and I don't bloody know why I do. I've never used it, my missus recently got a mobile phone that can access the internet through it.. but really.. oh wait and i have a laptop that i've connected once or twice through the wireless because i couldn't access it via remote desktop so quickly wanted to copy a file to it. But I don't use the laptop at home I do plug it into a power/ethernet plug i have setup for it in my server cabinet and copy whatever files i want to/from it. But as for interacting with it directly. no thanks. don't understand why the missus checks the internet via her phone either. Losing wireless would be no big loss at all.

I'd say 3/5 are true. Charging a pay-per-byte model is killing us, ESPECIALLY with the "cloud" where we all want to back up off-site (YMMV on how secure/useful that is) and discless delivery systems like Steam. Social Networking is screwing ppl out of jobs (even if you dont post them, I'll bet $$$ that every single person on here has at least 1 embarassing job-killing event in their past, and there's a good chance that SOMONE you know will decide to post it without thinking (hey you remember this time when...?) and end up screwing you accidentally)

As for the posts here...
Multi-core for casual users IS a crapshoot. Yes, having 2 is good because you can dedicate 1 to system and 1 to applications to 2, but that's about the break-point. For most of us that run high-powered programs that ARE optimized (I'm dying to upgrade to a PhenomX6 for Maya), it's a godsend (notice though that most consumer PCs are still dual-core)

Wireless YMMV with all the crap-quality products out there at low prices interference is high enough to make some of us to spend hours running CAT-6 and only use WiFi for casual browsing (though quality hardware will make a difference, so very many things can interfere...) Also speed is a joke (150mbps each way, most 27mbps or even 6mbps) compared to wired (500mbps or 1000mbps for good systems)

Tablets - These are _NOT_ laptops. They ARE underpowered compared to laptops, but in return you get more portability and, in some cases, better battery life. I never carry my laptop unless I'm working now - for web browsing, music, movies, and casual games I use my iPad (and have never run it down past 40% power --- and that's only when I forget to charge it between sessions). a Tablet is a MID/PMP - a large smartphone with better hardware. Give them time and they'll catch up to laptops and ultimately it will become mainly asthetics and interface preferences. (I fully expect the future to have most casual computers as tablets with a dock for Discs/monitor/KB/etc)

The battery issue is a bug. In terms of being slower that depends on the distro. Aside from that Linux powers everything from phones to routers and much in between. You can believe that Linux makes technology worse but you wouldn't be posting on this board without it.

FUD articles certainly are amusing to read. I still love the reading the one about how PC gaming is dead. How many years has that one been written? At least 10 that I can think of. This guy's days of fortune telling are numbered. How's that for a future cast?

And there is the solution. People are just dumb enough to put all their information out there because they are narcissists. I can't feel bad or blame employers. People are just dumb that way.

While I agree that people are stupid for posting their info out there, fact remains employers shouldn't be able to use it against them.

Private life != type of employee.

I have no usage cap, nor do my friends in the UK, Germany, Finland, Spain, France etc. etc. Nor do people in China, Japan etc. etc.

I know not everyone does, quite a few do though. It was a general statement. Point is, usage caps are silly and should be illegal if the connection is advertised as "unlimited".

Wireless internet is useful for when you can't run cables. If the layout of your house is spread around, or you want to set up a network quickly then wireless is great. Or if your house owner doesn't want you drilling cables...:( Also wi-fi = free internet. Going to a cafe and everyone plugging in CAT5 would be silly.

UGH - More FUD..For the Love of...:mad:

Once again, If you Don't buy Shit hardware, wireless mice are perfectly fine. That includes Fast paced competitive Gaming. I have been a top tier competition player for 10 years now, I use wireless and it gives me no handicap at all. If anything, I had more issues with that blasted cord snagging in the middle of an intense match than I ever have had of the wireless losing connectivity.

Same applies to Wifi, quit buying crappy $50 routers and there is no complaint about wireless. Oh sure it is slower if you are transferring 500gb of data PC to PC all day, but then anyone doing that needs a gigabit network anyhow.

I run a DGL 4500 Gamers Lounge
Wireless claims 300mbs, I have monitored a sustained 250. Which is MORE than enough to stream 1080p content with Zero skipping and zero connection loss. I have only had to downgrade to 720p when streaming to the PS3 because the built in wireless in it can't handle it. That has nothing to do with wireless being fail, but the card in the PS3 being fail.

Is wired superior, OFC. However while I wouldn't recommend online games wirelessly, for the typical uses of internet/Streaming etc it is more than fine if you don't use crap hardware.

Back