EA Says Steam "Too Restrictive" For Battlefield 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
EA made a post on it's Battlefield 3 forums explaining why the game will not be available via Steam.

Gamers can pre-order Battlefield 3 at Origin.com as well as over 100 digital retailers worldwide. EA offers games to all major download services. Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices.

Last edited:
EA is doing damage control as much as they can. The truth is, because Steam acts as a buffer between a game developer and the player, EA is upset.

Thank you Steam, for preventing companies like EA spam me to their heart's content.

Steam is too restrictive to EA for Battlefield 3, so EA offers BF3 on a service that is restrictive to THE CUSTOMER, but has total control for EA. I hope they figure out that customers don't like being on the other side of that coin, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have it preordered from Amazon.com anyway with release day delivery (RDD is a steal at $0.99!).

What they really mean " Since we can't force you to use our DLC system through Steam we're gonna pass on using them".

EA is too restrictive for Battlefield 3. I hate EA accounts, EA log ons and all their bullshit.

Well, if noone else is doing it, to publishers, then it would be Steam's fault.

Steam isn't talking, so we have only EA's side.

The best guess I've seen is that steam changed the TOS for publishers that if they sold DLC, they had to make it available for purchase through steam ALSO. In other words, its ok for titles to sell DLC through their own store (like Origin), but they need to list it on steam too.

EA wanted the entire DLC cake and didn't want to allow steam to sell any DLC for new titles after the change in TOS. Valve, understandably, doesn't want to get cut out of the DLC market entirely. It set's a bad precedent if companies cut them out of stuff like that. They'd seen EA headed in that direction with previous titles, so they changed the contract with future games. That's why EA pulled that one game off steam and isn't doing BF3 on steam now.

lol i remember waiting FOREVER on that "connecting to EA Account Server" screen for BF2
I hope bf3 isnt like that

EA forgets to mention all of the resellers (100?) most likely are selling Origin keys so they still have to register and tie it into their Origin account. Steam lets you do it all under their umbrella...way to try and turn shit into chocolate ice cream.:rolleyes:

Sweet, I guess I'll have some extra money to spend on Steam since I won't be buying BF3.

i will wait to buy ... especially to see how many goddamn dlc they will release/announce in the first few months.

Well at least we can still ad games as nonesteam which kind of sucks but oh well.

That's why EA pulled that one game off steam and isn't doing BF3 on steam now.

It isn't just that one game though. Multiple have been pulled, and the precedent now is that no big name EA games will have releases on Steam. This includes the major upcoming title you may have hear of? It's called Mass Effect 3? The customers get screwed in this case. Considering no other digital distribution platforms have been denied, and Valve/Steam isn't speaking up, its kind of hard to deny that Steam is the one screwing customers while thinking they are doing them a favor.

In the end it doesn't bother me, because I'm not a Steam exclusive fanboi. Most competitive price gets my money simple as that. The convenience of Steam is nice though.

Dear EA:

I call shenanigans.

Furthermore I do not like your practice of killing games and Demos when you feel like it. As such I refuse to do further business with you.

Signed the Custo... Ex Customer.

EA is too restrictive for Battlefield 3. I hate EA accounts, EA log ons and all their bullshit.

Dude, that's not even the worst part.

I preordered BFBC2 to get in on the early beta, it was a beta, right? Anyway, I had my key and it was on Steam. My laptop couldn't run BFBC2 very well so I never did play it much.

Much later, (as in a few months ago) I got a new desktop rig that can run it and when I tried to sign on to my BFBC2 EA account, it said that my key was invalid.

Tried it several more times, still invalid.

Then I had to call EA and get a new key.

That's fucking bullshit ++++ shit.

If you buy a game on Steam, you shouldn't need any DRM whatsoever, EA is full of shit, I will pass on Battlefield 3, I hope you all enjoy getting it up the ass from EA when you buy their piece of shit game with all the fucking restrictive shit they pile on top of it.

Nobody advocates piracy around here, it's an old tired argument, but there's something to be said for how the pirates get a much better experience than the LEGITIMATE CUSTOMER DOES.

THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG.

So I login to my computer, Origins automatically starts in the background. I launch BF3 which also has my info stored and automatically logs in.

Who knew rape was so uneventful and painless?

I'll not gonna boycott rant but honestly the BF ingame friends sucks. If it's not on steam I just wont be in as much of a hurry to pick it up. I think EA is making a terrible financial mistake doing this, but they do so love them some financial woes. Yeah I'm a douche whateves.

People seem to think because Steam is not responding as much as EA is talking that EA must be right.

In that case, the United States of America is owned by me, and I own the IRS.

If the government and/or the IRS do not respond, you must take my statement at face value and recognize the truth in what I have said. Right? Or maybe there's a huge fault in such reasoning.

So I login to my computer, Origins automatically starts in the background. I launch BF3 which also has my info stored and automatically logs in.

Who knew rape was so uneventful and painless?

I thought the Origin fanboy's said it doesn't need to be running, only needed to login the first time to register it. Now you say we need another service running in the background. You are not helping their cause! :mad:

I thought the Origin fanboy's said it doesn't need to be running, only needed to login the first time to register it. Now you say we need another service running in the background. You are not helping their cause! :mad:

Oh lord, who knows. Either way I could really give a damn, I have 16GB of RAM and it barely uses any CPU cycles, my SSDs boot my computer in 30 sec or less. I have other things to worry about.

I'll also pass on BF3, until I see it either in Steam, or on the shelf in a local store for <$30. I have no intention of installing yet another content management system on my computer. I've had my account since Steam was still in Beta. It's kind of like the whole Google+ Vs. Facebook thing. It may be great, cool, awesome, and all that, but all of my friends are on Steam, I'm not switching now.

Your the type of person that gives me the admin headaches....who cares what's running on my pc, just add more ram! damm,why am I getting all these pop-ups in my desktop! :D

Seriously, I see what your saying but I really don't need another potentially buggy service running in the background...sometimes less is better.

Your the type of person that gives me the admin headaches....who cares what's running on my pc, just add more ram! damm,why am I getting all these pop-ups in my desktop! :D

Seriously, I see what your saying but I really don't need another potentially buggy service running in the background...sometimes less is better.

you're

EA said:
However, when a download service forbids publishers from contacting players with patches, new levels, items and other services – it disrupts our ability to provide the ongoing support players expect from us. At present, this is the case with only one download service. While EA offers its entire portfolio to this site, they have elected to not post many of our games. We hope to find a mutually agreeable solution to this issue soon.

Translation: They don't allow us to spam their customers and we don't like that. We want to shove our big advertising schlong up our "customer's" rear end anytime we feel like it.

Hello Steam fanboys. It is not the end of the world if a game isn't on Steam. I am still going to buy the game even though I like Steam, I really do not see the big deal. People say Apple fanboys are bad lol.

Translation: They don't allow us to spam their customers and we don't like that. We want to shove our big advertising schlong up our "customer's" rear end anytime we feel like it.

Steam does a very good job of advertising patches, DLC, etc. so I really don't see where EA is coming from on that angle? And their patching is about as seamless and painless as it gets...

BF3 went from a must buy to a I'll buy it when its cheap item.

Yep, basically this. Oh, and retail as well. I'm not dealing with the whole "You can only download it for up to a year!" BS of Origin.

EA is doing damage control as much as they can. The truth is, because Steam acts as a buffer between a game developer and the player, EA is upset.

Thank you Steam, for preventing companies like EA spam me to their heart's content.

What Valve has to say about this? Nothing. I think Valve needs to address their users on why they haven't came to an agreement with EA.
Valve staying silent makes them similar to any other company out there that doesn't address their customers demands.

I'm a consumer first and will never be loyal to any company for anything. Why? Because they all would rather have your money over loyalty.

So is origin gonna be mandated or will physical copied play on their own without any account bs? If the former then looks like even more money I wont have to spend now since I'm already saving $60 on Diablo 3.

So is origin gonna be mandated or will physical copied play on their own without any account bs? If the former then looks like even more money I wont have to spend now since I'm already saving $60 on Diablo 3.

You will need to register it through origin and I'm thinking the origin service will be needing to run in the background.

Seems some want to say that since EA is only denying it to steam, it must be steam's fault. But I haven't heard of any other game publisher pulling their titles from steam, so THAT makes me think EA is full of it. How is it every other publisher in the damned world can live with steam's terms, but EA cannot? Fact is, they are high off the BF3 hype and think they can use BF3 to try to torpedo valve and get people on their service. DLC and Ads have FA to do with it. Oh well, guess I'll be running steam + origin soon, sigh. Just hope every other game developer doesn't start doing this bs, would hate to end up with 50+ download services running...

Back