Deus Ex New Vision 1.0 (texture mod) out

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
For those interested in a play through before DXHR is released, New Vision texture mod just released -

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/downloads/new-vision-version-10

Follow guide here for graphics mods -

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

No idea if HDTP (models/animations) will be released before DXHR hits though, although it is a possibility if you want to hold out for that as well.

Added, forgot this isn't mentioned in the guide -

Lesser known UI mod - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/

Last edited:
Thanks. This will probably result in me playing Deus Ex. Again.

I had no idea they were still working on it, sweet. I've been using their "part 1" pack forever it seems.

Thanks for the heads up! Another play through it is, lol!

You know what, I JUST got done reading the PC Gamer "Top 25 Modern PC games" and saw Deus Ex on there and said to myself:

"You know, I should probably play that game some day. I hear its pretty good."

So, yeah, this might help get me going. hahah :D

Perfect timing. There goes my week. It should also be noted that Deus Ex works in eyefinity/surround :D

Very nice. Its always awesome to see the community breathing extra life into older games.

Sweet. I have never played Deus Ex, yet bought the pack last Christmas sale on Steam. Looks like Ill be installing today!

I added a UI mod to the original post, forgot it isn't mentioned in the guide -

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/

For those interested, there is also another major Deus Ex mod almost done. Deus Ex 2027, a fan made prequel, had the Russian version released. English version possibly this month.

I'm going to hold out a bit and see if they release HDTP, since I can get a solid play through of Deus Ex in a week.

I played it recently with another high res texture pack. Curious to see how nice this one is. Probably better! :D

Thanks for sharing this.

That reddit guide seems a bit outdated. Anyone have updated pro-tips for having the textures, GUI, and any "buff" mods like shifter or deusexe work in tandem? Thanks a bunch.

That reddit guide seems a bit outdated. Anyone have updated pro-tips for having the textures, GUI, and any "buff" mods like shifter or deusexe work in tandem? Thanks a bunch.

I'm actually working on an updated guide for my forums as I type this. I'll link to it once I am done. :)

I'm actually working on an updated guide for my forums as I type this. I'll link to it once I am done. :)

If you don't mind, I'll give my own feedback on it when you post it. I found out how to get all of the high quality mods working altogether as well. :)

If you don't mind, I'll give my own feedback on it when you post it. I found out how to get all of the high quality mods working altogether as well. :)

Wo0t! Sounds great, I'm all for a second (or more) set of eyes to help me proof read and expound.

I am also using all the mods successfully. Had to force myself to stop playing so I would go back to my guide, lol.

Nice! I've been playing through Deus Ex again this week before the prequel comes out. I got an older version of New Vision last week. That looked spectacular, can't wait to see how these new ones look.

Make sure you guys use the latest DirectX10 Deus Ex renderer. It updates the lighting system drastically. This game just keeps getting better and better every year as more mods come out.

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Well since no ones done a guide, I'll post a step by step.

Mods used -
Must haves -
Deus Ex Direct3D 10 Renderer - http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
Deus Exe - http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
Deus Ex New Vision (world textures) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision

Optional -

Deus Ex Enchanced (UI) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/
Shifter (modifies game play, DX enhanced requirement) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1
Deus Ex HDTP (objects and characters, demo release) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp

Other -
Deus Ex Revision - http://www.dx-revision.com/

I haven't used this one yet, so just listing it here.

Guide -
Tested on Steam GOTY version, should work on retail versions. Unsure about others. I suggest making a backup of your install folder.

Essentials -

Update DX to newest version.
Update DirectX to latest using dxwebsetup - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
Update Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 to newest - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

Install Direct3D 10 Renderer
- extract contents of "deus exe" folder from you download to the "system" folder inside your deus ex folder, eg. "../deus ex/system/"
- Run the game, and choose Direct3D 10 as the rendering device
- exit

Install Deus Exe
- extract contents from your download to the "system" folder inside your deus ex folder, eg. "../deus ex/system/"
- Run the game, and configure your options, launch then exit

Install Deus Ex New Vision
- extract "NVTextures" from your download to your Deus Ex folder, eg. "../deus ex/"
- go to "Documents\Deus Ex\System" and open Deusex.ini
- search for the line "Paths=..\Textures\*.utx"
- above it add "Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx"

Game is now playable with New Vision and the D3D10 Renderer, to add more continue -

Adding Shifter -

Install Shifter -
- extract "Deusex.int" and "Deusex.u" from your download to the "system" folder inside your deus ex folder, eg. "../deus ex/system/"

Adding DX Enchanced -

Instal Deus Ex Enchanced -
- extract "System" and "Textures" from your download to your Deus Ex folder, eg. "../deus ex/"
- make sure "non scaling gui" option is selected in configuration when launching with Deus Exe

Adding DX HDTP -

To add HDTP -
- Install HDTP using installer
- Extract "Duesex.u" from your "Deus Ex Enhanced" download to the "HDTP/System" folder inside your Deus Ex Folder, eg. "../deus ex/" (ignore this step if not using DX enhanced)
- search for:

"Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx"
and replace it with

"Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\System\*.u"

You should be able to launch without using the Deus Ex HDTP shortcut (don't use this).

Let me know if this works, since I did it off memory.

Adding DX HDTP -

To add HDTP -
- Install HDTP using installer
- Extract "Duesex.u" from your "Deus Ex Enhanced" download to the "HDTP/System" folder inside your Deus Ex Folder, eg. "../deus ex/" (ignore this step if not using DX enhanced)
- search for:

"Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx"
and replace it with

Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\System\*.u"

You should be able to launch without using the Deus Ex HDTP shortcut (don't use this).

Let me know if this works, since I did it off memory.

Excellent guide! Mine is coming along much slower then I'd like. Life and all that. I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good, and I'm trying to make it beginner friendly.

Anyway, I used your guide and ran into a snag. When starting the game I get Kentie's pre-menu, but after I hit "play" I receive an error stating "cannot find 'effects' ". If I remove the path adjustments to the ini file it goes back to working again.

Note: I did not put the NVTextures folder in the DeusEx folder, or correct the ini file for it. Instead I simply copied and paste all the files in the NVTexture folder into the DeusEx\Textures folder as the original guide suggested.

I may have missed something, or misspelled something, so I'll double check when I get the chance.

Anyway, once again, THANKS FOR THE GUIDE!! :)

I hate to admit it but I never played the original. I had a friend on IRC who loved the game, but for some reason I never got around to playing it back then and now the game looks so aged I found it hard to bring myself to play. But now I might have to try it out with this pack.

Excellent guide! Mine is coming along much slower then I'd like. Life and all that. I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good, and I'm trying to make it beginner friendly.

Anyway, I used your guide and ran into a snag. When starting the game I get Kentie's pre-menu, but after I hit "play" I receive an error stating "cannot find 'effects' ". If I remove the path adjustments to the ini file it goes back to working again.

Note: I did not put the NVTextures folder in the DeusEx folder, or correct the ini file for it. Instead I simply copied and paste all the files in the NVTexture folder into the DeusEx\Textures folder as the original guide suggested.

I may have missed something, or misspelled something, so I'll double check when I get the chance.

One thing to keep in mind if you're using the replacement DeusEx.exe file...the deusex.ini file that's actually used is under MyDocuments/DeusEx. The one in System isn't used. Same for the User.ini file, which I needed to modify to get my binds to work.

Also, Alchemy seems to work fine with DeusEx, which improves the sound if you're using a Creative soundcard.

One thing to keep in mind if you're using the replacement DeusEx.exe file...the deusex.ini file that's actually used is under MyDocuments/DeusEx. The one in System isn't used. Same for the User.ini file, which I needed to modify to get my binds to work.

Also, Alchemy seems to work fine with DeusEx, which improves the sound if you're using a Creative soundcard.

Good to know, thanks for the update.

When you differ in a single step things go awry :p

But the basic principal is the ini being used has to reference the proper paths for the addon content. Did modifying the ini in "documents/deusex" like mentioned work? As far as I know only the "deusex.ini" or equivalent needs modifying, the "user.ini" or equivalents stay the same.

Your "paths" edits in "deusex.ini" should look like this, well minus the NVTextures bit if you didn't make the separate folder -

Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx"

Never having played DE before I was thinking maybe I should pick it up and try it with these mods. Then I had a bit of deja vu... and sure enough it's already in my Steam library, must have grabbed it in some sale or other.
So now I definitely will try it, thanks for the various tips.

After setting it up, check in the game ini, there are some interesting settings you can enable. Volumetric lights, reflections, specular effects, all make the game look even better.

After setting it up, check in the game ini, there are some interesting settings you can enable. Volumetric lights, reflections, specular effects, all make the game look even better.

You can also adjust those options via typing "preferences" in the game console.

Well looks like im finally going to be playing Deux Ex after years of hearing stellar things about it. No idea why i never got around to playing it.

Anyways i installed all of the mods but im running into an issue.

After installing HDTP i noticed that my UI was all screwy again. I changed the paths in deusex.ini as stated above and when i start the game through the normal shortcut all the texture packs and UI packs work but HDTP doesnt seem to work. When i start the game through the HDTP shortcut the menues are HUGE and the configuration settings dont seem to stick..

any idea whats going on?
i got all of these
Deus Ex Direct3D 10 Renderer
Deus Exe
Deus Ex New Vision
Deus Ex Enchanced (UI)
Deus Ex HDTP

my deus ex.ini looks like and i do have NVTextures installed in a separate folder

Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

EDIT: well it seems like i fixed it. Had to replace the original Root= with Root=otpUIfix.otpRootWindow in the HDTP.ini.
But how can i tell if HDTP is working? The original character models in the intro cutscene look exactly the same

Last edited:
You likely missed or made a mistake at the following steps -

1)Extract "Duesex.u" from your "Deus Ex Enhanced" download to the "HDTP/System" folder inside your Deus Ex Folder, eg. "../deus ex/" (ignore this step if not using DX enhanced)

2) Did you edit the .ini in your "documents/deusex/" folder (my documents)? Don't edit the .ini files in the game folder.

Ok i reinstalled everything and went through all the settings again and it seemed to fix it.

How can i tell if HDCP and the texture package is working? textures do look pretty good and sharp but all the models are still meh

The HDTP release so far is only the "preview." So not very many models and characters are changed, I believe mainly the crowbar, crates and Gunther are currently improved. It is has been going through on and off development over the years.

The default deus ex crates look like this for comparison -
31.jpg

Okay, I've completed my guide as well. It is a work in progress for sure, but so far everything works using the DX10 renderer. Have not tested DX9 yet.

I should note that all the HDTP content works without ini edits or use of the HDTP shortcut using this guide. However, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone else who tries it out. Please contact me with any issues you may encounter.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Back