Antimatter Belt Discovered Around Earth

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
An antiproton belt has been discovered by the Payload for Antimatter Exploration and Light-nuclei Astrophysics, or Pamela for short. Pamela is a satellite designed specifically to search for cosmic rays. This could lead to research developing a new propulsion system for spacecraft. Warp 10, Mr. Crusher….make it so. :D

The band is "the most abundant source of antiprotons near the Earth", said Alessandro Bruno of the University of Bari, a co-author of the work.

i barely understand protons. now there are anti-protons?! weenis, here's a challenge for you.

Just waked up in a Sunday morning... read twice the headline and through into the article, my brain still refuses to work.

An antiproton belt has been discovered by the Payload for Antimatter Exploration and Light-nuclei Astrophysics, or Pamela for short. Pamela is a satellite designed specifically to search for cosmic rays. This could lead to research developing a new propulsion system for spacecraft. Warp 10, Mr. Crusher….make it so. :D

Warp 10 is infinite speed...

i barely understand protons. now there are anti-protons?! weenis, here's a challenge for you.

It's a protons negatively charged brother. From what I understand every particle has an antiparticle or a particle with the opposite charge. When they come into contact with their antiparticle they annihilate each other, turning their entire mass into energy.

You mean Voyager canon? Episode "Threshold"?

In the TNG episode "All Good Things..." we see a ship travel at warp 13.

Seems largely inconsistent overall to me :D

All Good Things was presenting at least two alternate universes, the warp factor measuring system could of been different.

If Warp 10 is infinite speed, then why is the quantum slipstream drive much, much faster?

So yeah, wrong.

The antiprotons are probably left over from the hydrogen shell that encapsulated the earth 6,000 years ago. More evidence for a young earth.

If Warp 10 is infinite speed, then why is the quantum slipstream drive much, much faster?

So yeah, wrong.

it wasn't, it's just way more controllable.

oh and it doesn't hyperevolve the ships crew into horny space salamanders

Instead of someone saying "Warp 9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999" or whatever, as they almost did in one episode with a long series of repeating 9's, it's easier just to redo the damned scale to 13 or whatever and just make numbers over 10 basically the number of digits past the decimal point. So Warp Factor 13 could be 9.9999 for four places past...

Makes sense to me. :D

Instead of someone saying "Warp 9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999" or whatever, as they almost did in one episode with a long series of repeating 9's, it's easier just to redo the damned scale to 13 or whatever and just make numbers over 10 basically the number of digits past the decimal point. So Warp Factor 13 could be 9.9999 for four places past...

Makes sense to me. :D

Or they're just terrible at sticking to canon?

Nah that can't be it.

The total anti-matter count for anti-protons hovering around the earth is relatively low, too low to make any kind of fuel source out of it. As such, we'd need to venture to large planets and inspect their respective anti-matter ringlets to see if there's any use in it.

Jupiter, with a mass of 1.8986×1027 kg is the next heaviest thing to the Sun in our Solar System.
So, why not take a stroll over there to see what kind of antimatter rings it has? THEN we might be able to talk about future fuel extraction (assuming we can even travel that reach on a regular basis without it taking 6 years, like it took Galileo).

In TNG canon, yes; in TOS, no.

Someone should...

1. Build a spaceship
  2. Harness the power of these anti-protons
  3. ???
  4. Profit

This, this, and this. If we even devoted 1/4 our defense budget to space exporation, I bet you we could build ships like this in 40-60 years:

830px-Interstellarcomplete.jpg

This, this, and this. If we even devoted 1/4 our defense budget to space exporation, I bet you we could build ships like this in 40-60 years:

830px-Interstellarcomplete.jpg

There are no muslims to kill in space though, so first we need to give them spaceships, then come back a decade later and destroy those same spaceships. Flawless plan right?

There are no muslims to kill in space though, so first we need to give them spaceships, then come back a decade later and destroy those same spaceships. Flawless plan right?

The Pentagon likes your plan much better, where do we make a deposit?

You guys are both idiots. There has to be oil in space or a democratically elected non-capitalist government to overthrow.

You guys are both idiots. There has to be oil in space or a democratically elected non-capitalist government to overthrow.

oil == dilithium crystals.
non-capitalist government & (Klingons | Romulans)

Roddenberry knew his stuff.

Earth would still serve as the Central Bank right? Not even replicators and anti-matter could make more out of nothing then fractional reserve lending.

From the article:

At this point the earth is covered with water. The four firmaments had not been created yet. Which means the earth has water but no atmosphere. The surface of the water is being exposed to both the absolute zero of space (-460 degrees Fahrenheit), plus the vacuum of space. Water will boil in a vacuum at room temperature. So the water on the surface is liquid, solid, and gas. This is because it's boiling, freezing, and evaporating all at the same time.

Hydrogen boiling Point @ 1 atm: -423.0°F (-252.8°C, 20oK). Freezing Point @ 1 atm: -434.5°F (-259.2°C, 14oK). A hydrogen ice cloud formed on the surface of the water that was exposed to space. The gravity of the earth would keep the forming cloud next to the surface of the water. And because the hydrogen molecule already contains a magnetic field, they were attracted to each other which covered the earth in a blanket of hydrogen ice crystals. These crystals became polarized by the earth's magnetic field. Upon polarization, the hydrogen molecules became one huge magnetic shield that surrounded the earth.

mehro5311.jpg

^^ in regards to bible wrapped in science wrapped in an enigma

When I read about that gargantuan water icecube that was discovered floating in space recently, it instantly made me wonder if Earth could have drifted through a large field of ice crystals in space and that that is what caused the great flood as described by many religions of the world.

It obviously would seem like a religious event experienceing it, but it would also solve the practical issue of how do introduce so much water to the atmosphere with out killing everything on the planet to get it there.

The surface of the water is being exposed to both the absolute zero of space (-460 degrees Fahrenheit)

Laughing forever and ever and ever.

That's not even the real failure here.

It seems they forgot about, you know, the Sun? That thing that heats the Earth, not to mention the entire solar system?

Even if you were dumb enough to believe that the nothingness of space had a temperature (which it of course doesn't), nothing this close to the Sun could ever reach such a low temperature anyway.

well it's not exactly nothingness. there's about 1 hydrogen atom per m³.

That's not even the real failure here.

It seems they forgot about, you know, the Sun? That thing that heats the Earth, not to mention the entire solar system?

Even if you were dumb enough to believe that the nothingness of space had a temperature (which it of course doesn't), nothing this close to the Sun could ever reach such a low temperature anyway.

Well, that and the conditions there arn't anywhere close to the triple point of water.

Back