Apple Sues NYC Mom & Pop Shops

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I suppose it was inevitable that Apple may have completely exhausted the corporate targets to sue for infringement and started taking on the little guys. A restraining order was issued against two named Mom and Pop stores and 50 John Does in NYC for trademark infringement. Details are lacking and remain sealed. There’s nothing like overkill from an international corporation to get their attention.

"Apple has not said what it plans to do about the fake stores, but the consumer device giant has historically taken intellectual-property infringement very seriously, and acts swiftly to protect its secrets."

So if you sell Apple products, then you're screwed, or are they just going after stores that sell knock offs?

And with store names like Apple Story and Fun Zone, I'm guessing they were selling fake Apple products. If so, they deserve the lawsuits and I have no sympathy for them.

So if you sell Apple products, then you're screwed, or are they just going after stores that sell knock offs?

If you are selling new products you need to be an authorized store. Period. It's the same circumstances of some of the stores in China. 2nd and 3rd hand stores selling products unauthorized starts to become an issue with warranty and service.

Interesting, even though they are targeting mom and pop stores, i think this is warranted and they deserve a smack down.

Mom and Pop shops and counterfeit stores aren't really the same thing. One makes Apple sound like a bunch of jerks and the other is an actual crime.

Mom and Pop shops and counterfeit stores aren't really the same thing. One makes Apple sound like a bunch of jerks and the other is an actual crime.

Yeah, ^^ this. I do like the Apple is taking a bite out of the Big Apple comment though. Hmmm, I am wondering when Apple will sue NYC :D

Stores pay for the privileged to be authorized and you have to be able to sell at least $100k of product. If I was a mom and pop authorized Apple retailer I would be extremely pissed if Apple didn't do anything to stop stores that aren't playing by the rules.

Fake iphones must suck so bad... i'm kinda glad that they're suing those shops.

Actually from what i've seen, they tend to be of similar build quality and be fully featured instead of the locked down crap that people pay stupid prices for (better file support, pre jailbroken/no iOS crap, removable batteries, sd card slots etc.). :D

Guess they don't want to have people compare the two...

Actually from what i've seen, they tend to be of similar build quality and be fully featured instead of the locked down crap that people pay stupid prices for (better file support, pre jailbroken/no iOS crap, removable batteries, sd card slots etc.). :D

Guess they don't want to have people compare the two...

Fake iPhone have a modified google os to look like iOS

Damn, I was hoping for yet another reason to hate Apple but if these shops are selling knock off iPhones and such, they deserve the smack down.

we sell piles of refurb apple products out of the shop I work at. I've always wondered if apple might get a stick up their ass about it.

What's the point?

You can find all of your fake Apple needs at eBay, straight from China.

Damn you, Apple.

There should be a law that disallows giant corporations to sue the little guy if it doesn't seriously injure their sales.

Wouldn't every grocery store or vegetable stand selling "apples"(tm) be liable for trademark infringement?

Back