Doom 3 Source-Code to Be Released This Year

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It was just about this time last year when id Software released the source code for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. In keeping with that tradition Zenimax will release the source code for Doom 3 sometime later this year.

Carmack has yet to comment on the Linux state of the id Tech 5 engine or a Rage Linux client, which is suspected at some point but likely not on launch-day.

Meh. I already knew how to write code to turn the screen black on my Commodore 64 in the 80's.

i'm personally excited for this! Love Doom 3. Would love to see what people could do with this!

since brink is based off the doom3 engine does that mean people are gonna hack the fudge out of it. Not like anyone likes that game just wondering.

since brink is based off the doom3 engine does that mean people are gonna hack the fudge out of it. Not like anyone likes that game just wondering.

I don't see how that would work. Doom 3 will be open source but Brink would stayed closed source.

Im sure people can get thier hands on the unreal 3 engine source but that doesnt mean all the games based on that engine can get hacked.

Also, Brink was developed by Splash Damage. They also developed ETQW, so it's likely that it's based on the ETQW source, not the D3 source. As I understand it (and any Tech 4 modders feel free to correct me), all three of the core Tech 4 builds (D3, Q4, ETQW) do things differently in regards to game logic, renderers and game code.

We're only likely to get the D3 source first. We might get Q4's source code as well. It's doubtful we'll see ETQW's code for a while, given how long it took for RTCW and WolfET to go open-source.

So I doubt there'll be much of interest in the source for exploit writers, who already have perfectly good vectors in the game logic and renderer.

this should of took place 4 years after the last doom 3 expansion

this should of took place 4 years after the last doom 3 expansion

why? ID software doesnt have to release it at all. Im just happy that they do release their stuff for people have free.

I wonder if this means we'll get Doom 3 ported to cell phones? Now that would be awesome.

Cool. Hopefully we'll get some cool fan made games in the future.

Back