Google’s First Self-Driving Car Crash

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'll bet you anything this car crash involving Google's self-driving car will be blamed on the other driver or human error. After all, we can't have our autonomous car crashing into people can we? :D

This is precisely why we're worried about self-driving cars. Perhaps the complicated set of lasers and imaging systems that Google chief autonomous car researcher Sebastian Thrun called "the perfect driving mechanism" thought it was just looking at its shadow.

I bet the driver that takes the blame gets a nice bonus. :)

Eh, I dunno. Looks like the Google car rear-ended the other one.

Pretty hard for that to be the other driver's fault, unless they were running in reverse or something (unlikely - this looks like it is on the road).

Self driving cars will be orders of magnitude safer then normal cars. Hey listen I like cars and I like to drive but there it is. Driving is something computers will be able to do MUCH MUCH MUCH better then any human.

The ability to process information and accurately calculate responses rather then just 'eye-ball it' goes way beyond what even race car drivers can do.. Not to mention getting a bunch of morons off the road will help tremendously. Think about all those distracted/drugged (even from legal shit like xanax)/ and drunk drivers out there. Then add in people who have awful reaction times and no common sense!

Give it ten years and you will see awesome performance out of these self-driving cars..

My advice - get yourself a stick shift car - and revel in the manual glory while you still can because this pleasure is going to get halted..

This was obviously a case where, for a brief moment in time, skynet became aware

The boys at Business Insider received the following quote from a Google spokesperson about the accident: "Safety is our top priority. One of our goals is to prevent fender-benders like this one, which occurred while a person was manually driving the car."

So basically this had nothing to do with the automatic driving system in the car.

This article is such BS. ... This is percisely the reaosn were worried about self-driving cars, maybe all its 'lazers' saw it own shadow!!

Uhh huh article writer. Nevermind the fact that the google spokesperson said "Safety is our top priority. One of our goals is to prevent fender-benders like this one, which occurred while a person was manually driving the car." so the car was not automatically driving and was infact being driven 'manually'.

Quite obviously the robot Prius saw another attractive female Prius (or male, he may swing both ways) and wanted to get it on.

Clearly just a case of car on car exhibition.

This is precisely why we're worried about self-driving cars.
Hmmm... apparently they've never worried about HUMAN-driven cars.

self-driven cars = 1 accident
human driven cars = 6.4 million accidents, 3 million injuries, 40k deaths, total cost of 230 billion dollars (this is just 1 year)

Hmmm... apparently they've never worried about HUMAN-driven cars.

self-driven cars = 1 accident
human driven cars = 6.4 million accidents, 3 million injuries, 40k deaths, total cost of 230 billion dollars (this is just 1 year's transformer's movie)

:cool:

The self-driven car was infact a human-driven car as a human was driving it when it crashed....so it should read

self-driven cars = 0 accident*
human driven cars = 6.4 million accidents, 3 million injuries, 40k deaths, total cost of 230 billion dollars
*1 accident while driven by a human

So basically this had nothing to do with the automatic driving system in the car.

That's what Google wants you to believe!

Quite obviously the robot Prius saw another attractive female Prius (or male, he may swing both ways) and wanted to get it on.

Clearly just a case of car on car exhibition.

Since these were Priuses (Pri-i?), I'm sure it's the equivalent 2 males or 2 females.

Also I think I read something somewhere that said the Google auto driving cars have been driving for a few years now and this would be the first accident (if it was actually autodriving)?

Wow, that was quick!

I knew they would blame human error but DAMN that was fast! :D

yea, because you totally have exclusive insider information showing that it was, in fact, the computer driving the car :rolleyes:

seems to me that if google can get this to market, and have it actually work, they will reap untold billions of extra revenue each year....

My logical question was going to be, was it using Chrome OS? ;D

Well at least it wiped out a few cars I hate
Google's Prius struck another Prius, which then struck her Honda Accord that her brother was driving. That Accord then struck another Honda Accord, and the second Accord hit a separate, non-Google-owned Prius

IMO I would rather trust a machine driving than some of the wackos I see on the road today.

This isn't gonna turn into that scene from Demolition Man where Stallone can't get the self-drive mode to activate, right? :D

I know California's proximity to San Fransicso makes it a little fruity, but after reading the article, I have to ask: Does anyone in California own something other than a Toyota Prius or Honda Accord?

Google's Prius struck another Prius, which then struck her Honda Accord that her brother was driving. That Accord then struck another Honda Accord, and the second Accord hit a separate, non-Google-owned Prius.

I know California's proximity to San Fransicso makes it a little fruity, but after reading the article, I have to ask: Does anyone in California own something other than a Toyota Prius or Honda Accord?

Google's Prius struck another Prius, which then struck her Honda Accord that her brother was driving. That Accord then struck another Honda Accord, and the second Accord hit a separate, non-Google-owned Prius.

i'm sure there are other vehicles, but the predominance of accords and priuses makes sense... the average san franciscoan is generally pretty smart and savvy about most things, so it makes sense that they will purchase two excellent vehicles like those. especially since most wouldn't associate being "fruity" with one's choice in vehicle.

most people who buy cars are generally above 14 years old, and thus, are pretty secure in their sexuality :)

i'm sure there are other vehicles, but the predominance of accords and priuses makes sense...

In my neck of the woods, there'd have to be a 100-car pileup for there to be much chance of more than one Prius or Accord involved, not counting visitors from California.

Well considering there are 32 million cars registered in California, and only 1 million Prius cars sold in the entire US, I'd say yeah, there are a few other types of cars out there. One place I normally don't see Prius cars... gas stations, seriously, that's mostly SUVs, minivans and "luxury" (old people) cars.

And really, "California's proximity to San Francisco" ??

<looks out his window>

Not a Prius in sight out of a few dozen cars...there's a Ferrari in the driveway of the Fairmont though...

I like the part where the "reporter" accuses Google of lying about a human driving the car, without any proof at all. Awesome journalism there.

All high speed rail money should be diverted to self driving cars.

Three Prii and two accords in the same fender bender. Ain't fate a bitch.

All high speed rail money should be diverted to self driving cars.

Maybe then when the light turns green all the cars will start moving at the same time instead of me having to wait for 15 other people to wake the fuck up and start moving.

Back