Flying Sphere Drone of Death

HardOCP News

[H] News
A Japanese researcher has invented a flying sphere spy bot that can fly (obviously), hover, take off vertically and bounce / roll on the ground. The only thing this thing can't do is take a video of itself and put it on YouTube...so this picture will have to do:

About the size of a beach ball and jet black, the remote-controlled Spherical Air Vehicle resembles a tiny Death Star from the Star Wars movies but has a more benign purpose -- to transmit live images from a video camera.

ya but not very stealthy...

"dude, wtf is that black beach ball with the SMG doing?"

One rotor? How do they keep it stable enough to take any useful video without an anti-torque rotor? Maybe that's why the article doesn't have any video.

"Even though I can see footage from the mounted camera, it would be very difficult to control this" using the video, Sato said, noting that the drone floats in the air at a very delicate balance and cannot stop quickly.

hmm...

One rotor? How do they keep it stable enough to take any useful video without an anti-torque rotor? Maybe that's why the article doesn't have any video.

hmm...

it uses vanes to force air from the main rotor to provide the anti-torque required :)

wow... after seeing the video I'm quite impressed. Stability still looks like a bit of an issue in the video, especially if you were trying to fly-by-camera, but it works well from the 3rd person perspective.

2863505965_9cf2eefa36.jpg

Could be missing something but I just noticed the delivery forceps, all this time I thought it was a squigly antenna.

I was expecting the flying ball of death, with the three prongs, from that horror movie series.

37 MPH? That thing really could chase you down and kill you.

Chase you down, yes. Kill you, no. If it had any sort of weapon capable of killing you, it would be going slower than the 37 MPH. Good luck aiming up a kill shot with that too.

Chase you down, yes. Kill you, no. If it had any sort of weapon capable of killing you, it would be going slower than the 37 MPH. Good luck aiming up a kill shot with that too.
No need for a kill shot when you can just blow it up.

Back