GIGABYTE Unleashes G1.Sniper 2 Gaming Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced the launch of the new G1.Sniper 2 motherboard, the latest G1-Killer Series motherboard designed for extreme gaming on the latest Intel® Z68 chipset and Intel® i7 Core ‘Sandy Bridge’ processors. Featuring several state-of-the-art onboard solutions from renowned industry leaders Creative and Bigfoot Networks, as well as many additional and exclusive GIGABYTE features, the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 2 motherboard takes no prisoners in its quest for gaming supremacy.

I generally like GigaByte motherboards, they're solid. But I can't understand why they put engineering resources into this kind of thing.

I suppose they want to keep pace with Asus their ROG line, or one-up them. I think it's badly done:
Asus uses Intel network chips for (some?) of their ROG line, and that makes sense. Those are solid, well performing chips with excellent drivers.
And GigaByte responds with this Bigfoot Networks crap that frankly, I'd rather NOT have in my system at all. It's over-engineered, over-hyped and it doesn't do jack shit for a regular user or even a gamer. Latencies to/from ISP and then game servers/peered users can not be magically decreased, and the local overhead is negligible.

Then the premium sound. Well fine, there it is and it's probably good. But I've used my X-Fi in my past 3 systems. Socket A to 775 to 1155. I love that card, it's never given me troubles. It can have one of my expansion slots, that's what they are for. I don't want to buy this sound solution 3 times just so I don't have to 'sacrifice' a PCI (or PCI Express 1x) slot.

I don't know. This is going to be an expensive board with expensive add-on hardware that you'll have to throw away when you upgrade again. I find this to be a complete waste.

Well, if you don't like what Gigabyte is doing with their high end boards, you should be equally upset with Asus and their Rampage 3 Black Edition, which also includes a bigfoot nic and x-fi. Granted, theirs is on a daughter card. Beside, it's not like this is the only board they're making. If you don't want all the extra features, just buy a different model. Personally, I like having these options, and it's about time we saw someone make more green boards since DFI has gone under :)

I think it looks pretty ok personally.. I like the onboard x-fi but not sure about the killer nic, I guess that's ok.. regardless this is a definite contender for my gaming rig rebuild depending on how the reviews go.

terrible looking board..probubly performs well but i cant get past the look of the board..at least asus's theme looks like a motherboard and not a cartoon...
this is a nice board for maybe a white supremest or a gun nut...im all for having guns but not in my computer....giga totally missed the boat here....even if i won one in a contest or something or giga gave me a free one it would be in the for sale forums instantly so i could buy an asus board or the totally awsome giga x58 OC board...i love that giga board....might even give it a shot when i get my profit from my house sale at the end of the month....come on gigabyte get real with your themes...
i predict sales will be awfulll at best...

I like the look of it, but it only has 2 way crossfire. All the X58 G1 killer boards had at least 3 way?

That is the stupidest looking shit I have ever seen.

+1

I wonder, does it come with a case of Brawndo?

Holy crap. Are those TWO legacy PCI slots on there? Fail. Not everyone runs three GPUs. Legacy PCI rides the failtrain to geezertown. Do not want.

After trying every single one of the Killer NICs, along with the G1 Sniper, I can confidently say that the integrated e2100 Killer NIC on these motherboards is definitely the best implementation of their product.

They are continuing to improve their drivers. In general I'm content with the outcome, or maybe mildly pleased.

The onboard X-Fi works great (and I've used just about every one of their previous sound blaster releases as well.)

Back