Wall Outlet With Built-In USB Charger

ThinkGeek prices are inflated quite a bit, too. Should cost a lot less if/when it hits Amazon. :) That is a GREAT idea, too.

Now watch apple is gonna make their own little thing so you cant use it anymore. :p

That is awesome. Now waiting for the price to drop a little, $25 is still too rich for me.

I am not sold on this being a great idea. Unless there is a switch trigger setup in the USB port that only activates the power inverter when something is plugged into the USB port itself.

Otherwise it would be like leaving a wall wart plugged in at all times. I also wonder how much heat the inverter would generate in the confined space of the wall plug since there is no circulation in there.

These have been in the pipe for years but recently underwent a massive redesign. Scary thing is when I churched about a month ago they still hadn't been granted UL certification.

I am not sold on this being a great idea. Unless there is a switch trigger setup in the USB port that only activates the power inverter when something is plugged into the USB port itself.

Otherwise it would be like leaving a wall wart plugged in at all times. I also wonder how much heat the inverter would generate in the confined space of the wall plug since there is no circulation in there.

Literally the exact same thought I had as well.

Ack! Posted too soon. From the mfr's website:

"In addition, U-Socket's energy efficient design only outputs power through the USB port if something is connected to it."

"In addition, U-Socket's energy efficient design only outputs power through the USB port if something is connected to it."

Well that makes everything better. I'm sold. I will take .....50.

This is a cool idea, and I could see it being useful to have, one in each room. On the other hand, you can't take it with you, and it's a stationary charger. Apple's mini USB AC adapters are only like $4 on eBay, you could get a bunch of those for the price of one of these. I guess it depends on what you're doing with it. The price'll have to come down for me to get one.

Or copy it and sell it for $50...

Probably this.

Apple USB mini 5V AC adapter from eBay with iPod cable from eBay: $4.50.
Apple USB mini 5V AC adapter from Apple Store by itself: $29

(+450% in price, and that doesn't even include the iPod cable)

Modular outlets with USB ports have been available for years from Home Depot.

Perfect timing Steve!

I was looking for these today on EBay and only one I could find was 44 Dollars.

wake me us when these are connected to a giant central USB hub/printer server so I could hook up a USB device in any room and find it on my network..

When I first saw these in 2000 and something when I first saw these...I thought..."I don't see the point in these... I mean when are you far enough away from say...a computer to actually need one of these..."

Now computers are even more everywhere devices...even boxes under the TV and TVs themselves have USB ports.

I've had one of these sitting on my desk for several months now. Never got around to installing it.

My only question is what happens when you have a surge come through and your phone is plugged into the wall?

Read that carefully. It only outputs power when something is plugged in (which is true of everything). That's far different from saying it only uses power when something is plugged in.

They could have a mechanical switch in the socket, but I doubt it. That little click wouldn't be slick enough for Apple groupies. And, Apple groupies aren't the kind of people who would appreciate the difference between "only outputs..." vs. "only uses..." power when something is plugged in. So, why go to the added production expense of adding something no customer cares about, but that that will likely be the first thing to break?

So, it is a little power vampire that that is sucking up power 100% of the time, one that you can't just unplug.

My only question is what happens when you have a surge come through and your phone is plugged into the wall?

What's the difference? Same thing that happens when your phone is plugged into the wall. The power conversion is in the socket instead of in the wall-wart.

Sorry my post wasn't about power conversion or consumption, just a major potential customer service issue as a result of this product.

Currently my phone is connected via usb to my brick and it is plugged into a surge protector. If a surge comes along and kills the surge protector, brick, and phone. Then the manufacturer of the surge protector will replace the device, up to a certain amount of course. If i have the usb cable going straight from the phone to the wall jack, with no brick or surge protector involved and the phone gets fried. Well who pays for the device then?

I see this as a potential deal breaker unless you have surge protector at the panel.

fire waiting to happen

safety hazard kids can easily insert something metal into it... is there a circuit breaker in there? i doubt it would trip a 15 amp fuse.

i can not believe it would get UL listing

FastMac solution looks smart and complies with US/Canada regulations. Maybe a bit expensive, but then there is no real competition.
You can find similar wall sockets but they're usually 1+1, not 2+2 like FastMac's. Even DYI solutions cost over half the price of this device for half the features.
The announced price was $10 two years ago but it went on pre-order for $20 and is now $23-$24. I doubt it will come down soon or by much.

Read that carefully. It only outputs power when something is plugged in (which is true of everything) ...
So, it is a little power vampire that that is sucking up power 100% of the time, one that you can't just unplug.
I doubt that's the case, FastMac wouldn't advance the "green" five star energy efficient argument and savings of $25 a year if their device was consuming electricity all the time. But we'd better wait for a [H] reader to put it behind a Kill-a-Watt and confirm.

safety hazard kids can easily insert something metal into it
Like with every electrical outlet. At least it's much safer than building your own.

I doubt that's the case, FastMac wouldn't advance the "green" five star energy efficient argument and savings of $25 a year if their device was consuming electricity all the time. But we'd better wait for a [H] reader to put it behind a Kill-a-Watt and confirm.

I don't see how i can stick a power meter in one of these:p

However, i've already tried sticking a bunch of power bricks and charges to it. And If there's no laptop or phone on the other end, it uses 0 watts.

PS: I just tried sticking in my iPod charger (Those 1 inch white cube thingies) and it also uses 0 watts.

PPS: I meant sticking a power meter to the wall outlet and taking readings from regular power adapters. I don't have a USB wall socket.

Great idea I'd like to have some but I'd consider $25 to be way to expensive for a wall outlet. I didn't look but I'd hope the wall plate is at least included as well. I replaced some wall outlets in my house for $1 or $2 each although I'm sure these will come down once they more common if there aren't cheaper places to buy them all ready.

So, tell me why plugging into a wall socket which is typically near the floor is easier than plugging into your computer?

So, tell me why plugging into a wall socket which is typically near the floor is easier than plugging into your computer?

I'd put it in places where there's no computer. Like the one next to the TV and the kitchen. Whenever there are guests at home, people keep going to my room to recharge their phones. Can get annoying.

I don't know where their energy efficiency claims come from. But, I suspect that they're comparing their AC adapter to an old, low-efficiency AC adapter. That is, switching vs. linear power adapters.

I

I'd put it in places where there's no computer. Like the one next to the TV and the kitchen. Whenever there are guests at home, people keep going to my room to recharge their phones. Can get annoying.

Stop shaving goats in your room when you have guests, jeez... :D
J/K, but I could see this being handy at the entry table or where ever your family dumps everything after walking in the house...

I have six-way outlets plugged in that have USB ports on them. Would be nice if the house just came that way...I will certainly consider doing this when the time comes to build a custom home.

Back