Free-to-Play Game Releases $500 Gun

HardOCP News

[H] News
I've heard of paying real world money for content in free-to-play games but $500 for a gun? Hmmm, you can get a real world Glock 9mm for less than that. :eek:

The Kraken, in this case, is the name of the most powerful weapon in the game. Part missile-launcher and part laser-cannon, the Kraken lays waste to anything in its path. The catch? Purchasing the damn thing could cost suckers gamers up to $500-worth of real money.

Wow, not even a PC or console game, this is for freaking iOS?!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's the same device that brought us the "I'm rich" app.

A fool and his money are soon parted. If you know any rich fools, tell them to send me the money instead.

What is the point of gaming if you can just purchase the equivalent of an "I Win" button?

What is the point of gaming if you can just purchase the equivalent of an "I Win" button?

Look how many cheaters there are that like to do the same thing. Bunch of losers out there who can't win at anything in life, so they need some type of outlet.

It seems their advertising group just got their job done:

"Hey Bob, what could we do to get more people talking about Gun Bros.?"

"How about we make a gun cost $500.00 and let the blogs roar with outrage?"

"Sounds good, do it!"

Cash shop vanity type crap doesn't bother me. I draw the line at game balance altering things. Any game that implements items that can be bought for real currency that alter game balance are instantly off my list of games I will ever buy.

It seems their advertising group just got their job done:

"Hey Bob, what could we do to get more people talking about Gun Bros.?"

"How about we make a gun cost $500.00 and let the blogs roar with outrage?"

"Sounds good, do it!"

Was going to post this but you hit the nail in the head.

Doubt they're expecting anyone to purchase it, however they know it will get them publicity and people to download the game (myself included since it's free).

its alright, I play gun bros and you can get "warbucks" for free so eventually you can get it for free.

Cash shop vanity type crap doesn't bother me. I draw the line at game balance altering things. Any game that implements items that can be bought for real currency that alter game balance are instantly off my list of games I will ever buy.

That's why it's a F2P game.

The people who are going to have this weapon are the ones that edit the game files. If anyone who has $500 laying around for a gun on a game that gets boring after 20 minutes is a moron.

I will never play any game in which your chances of success are dependent on purchasing DLC.

Sure, sell goofy hats, and other silly accessories as much as you want, but what determines the outcome of the game can never be influenced by content you have to pay extra for. It completely removes the point of playing a game, if the terms are different for those with more money than those without.

Any good game has a even playing field. Period.

It would be like playing poker, and you'd have to pay extra in order to get face cards, and even more to get an ace... :rolleyes:

Wow, not even a PC or console game, this is for freaking iOS?!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's the same device that brought us the "I'm rich" app.

Android app too.

Zarathustra[H];1037592286 said:
I will never play any game in which your chances of success are dependent on purchasing DLC.

Sure, sell goofy hats, and other silly accessories as much as you want, but what determines the outcome of the game can never be influenced by content you have to pay extra for. It completely removes the point of playing a game, if the terms are different for those with more money than those without.

Any good game has a even playing field. Period.

It would be like playing poker, and you'd have to pay extra in order to get face cards, and even more to get an ace... :rolleyes:

hmmmmm Free to play poker game, where you can buy face cards.. It absolutely would work. You sir, are a genius!

Gun Bros is a good game, I have it on my Galaxy S, but their money system is the reason that I rarely play it anymore. In order to be competitive you need to buy upgrades and the only way to do that if you don't want to fork over actual cash is to install their recommended programs, click ads, etc. It takes all the fun out of progressing through a game based on skill.

Gun Bros is a good game, I have it on my Galaxy S, but their money system is the reason that I rarely play it anymore. In order to be competitive you need to buy upgrades and the only way to do that if you don't want to fork over actual cash is to install their recommended programs, click ads, etc. It takes all the fun out of progressing through a game based on skill.

Very many 'free' games are going this route. If you want to be competitive you have to pay. :rolleyes:

I won't play the "free to play" games for this reason.

Winning is in proportion to how much money you have to spend.

This is what you call "pay to cheat".

Most of these games go over the top with the paying to cheat lameness. I could see it could be cool if you were paying for an item that was somehow unique and interesting in the game world, but not un-balancingly powerful like this BS.

If someone had invested a lot of time and effort playing a game like that and suddenly any old idiot can pay to cheat his way into a weapon or whatever that suddenly blows you away, I say that's better grounds to sue than most other lawsuits I've heard of in the last decade!

If someone had invested a lot of time and effort playing a game like that and suddenly any old idiot can pay to cheat his way into a weapon or whatever that suddenly blows you away, I say that's better grounds to sue than most other lawsuits I've heard of in the last decade!

I agree with you that it's BS, but they can do whatever they want with their game and their pricing model. The only real say you as a consumer have is by not buying or playing the game.

I, for one, have not or will not be playing this game, or probably anything made by this developer if this is how they choose to make games.

This is like those free FB flash games that charge $5-$50 for a single in-game item. Then in the forum threads where people complain that the prices are generally unreasonable, moderators claim that the developers also need to feed their children so that their families don't starve. I kid you not.

Ya, but no one is forcing people to pay for anything, it is a choice, people seem to forget about that.

Everyone wants everything for free these days, many people feel they are entitled to everything, for free, so once money becomes involved suddenly the company is evil for trying to make some money.

I saw AK47s for less than that in southern Oregon. Got even a non gun person like me to go "hmmm". :p I bet the RIAA/MPAA would *love* to be able to do this kind of crap.

Ya, but no one is forcing people to pay for anything, it is a choice, people seem to forget about that.

Everyone wants everything for free these days, many people feel they are entitled to everything, for free, so once money becomes involved suddenly the company is evil for trying to make some money.

I haven't been paying that close attention, but I haven't seen anyone calling them evil. I have - however - seen many comments like my own, in which people express that they believe that would ruin the game, and they would be unwilling to play (or pay for) it.

Hopefully that message of people voting with their wallets AWAY from free to play, DLC supported games will sink in developers before ALL games go down that path.

This reminds me of the BFG in Quake 2. I never had a problem with the BFG in the game because anyone could get it and if someone killed me it was fair since I could do the same. This is like paying money and you spawn with the BFG and nobody else can get it unless they pay money too. I don't care if a huge one-shot kill weapon is in a game, but it's got to be available to anyone. That's the only way to be fair about it. This Pay-to-win crap has got to go.

This isn't something in which I'd be interested, but for players who love the game and want to reward its developers, this can be seen as an incentive to make a sizeable donation.

The only pay-for-add-ons I havnt minded was with DND online where you could buy low-end healing potions or such (which were not hard to come by in-game) or, of course, character customizations (hair/armor dyes, etc) things that didnt really effect the game except aesthetically... and were rather inexpensive...

There was a game at one point, a MMO acctually, called "Project Entropia" where you started with no weapons and the only way to get them was to collect HUNDREDS of these components that only came from "draining" mobs (and there was a good chance said mob would attack you and you could only run) or to pay RL cash for them... amazingly the game took off and now has item values akin to Second Life... so clearly there is something to this from a Dev's PoV... though I do hate when it destroys or unbalances the game if you have cash to burn...

You know, it occurred to me that if an item in these games can be had through one of two methods (either through, say, 3 hours of grueling grinding or for some cash, say $20), then one can make the case that the opportunity cost of paying the fee is lower than the cost of the time invested/wasted on procuring said item exclusively through the game mechanics. It might be considered unfair to those who cannot afford or otherwise refuse on principle to pay for such items, but on the other hand, people who work many hours might find it unfair that they haven't the skill (acquired through many hours of practice) to acquire said items as efficiently and quickly as those who can afford to spend more time, poopsock in hand, playing video games. It doesn't bother me either way, I don't regard someone's success as my failure.

I don't think I paid $500 for any of my real world guns. I think the most was my SR-9 at $449

This reminds me of the BFG in Quake 2. I never had a problem with the BFG in the game because anyone could get it and if someone killed me it was fair since I could do the same. This is like paying money and you spawn with the BFG and nobody else can get it unless they pay money too. I don't care if a huge one-shot kill weapon is in a game, but it's got to be available to anyone. That's the only way to be fair about it. This Pay-to-win crap has got to go.
Lol, I fondly remember battling it out in Quake 2 and watching everyone scatter when they heard a BFG spool up.

This reminds me of the BFG in Quake 2. I never had a problem with the BFG in the game because anyone could get it and if someone killed me it was fair since I could do the same. This is like paying money and you spawn with the BFG and nobody else can get it unless they pay money too.

You can get this gun in game without paying for it... it's just going to take you a while to earn it and it's not a PvP game where you're battling each other... it's a co-op dual stick shooter like smash TV.

blackscreen hit the nail on the head. I doubt that they really think anyone would buy it (and if they do, all the better). It's free publicity. Given that this is the most powerful gun in the game, the whole point in even playing it is to earn better guns. Once you get the most powerful gun, why even bother playing it anymore? You have absolutly nothing to look forward to.

You can get this gun in game without paying for it... it's just going to take you a while to earn it and it's not a PvP game where you're battling each other... it's a co-op dual stick shooter like smash TV.

Ahh, ok. I'm used to everything with paid DLC being PvP anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back