Corsair Carbide 400R Mid-Tower Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the Corsair Carbide 400R mid-tower case posted at Guru3D today that is definitely worth checking out. Here's a quote from the review:

With the Carbide series Corsair enters the more mainstream market, and as we all know that means a cheaper product often resulting is ripped away features. But this chassis at 99 USD offers some great feature and functionality. Have a peek at the product reviewed today, this is the Carbide series chassis from Corsair, costing roughly 99 USD yet comes with a nice design and a very decent feature set.

Hell yes ! No more waiting for a Corsair case. Love that thing, has almost everything I want, at a reasonable price. Me likey very much. :D

@ Redbeard, When will these be available ? I want one now !

Hell yes ! No more waiting for a Corsair case. Love that thing, has almost everything I want, at a reasonable price. Me likey very much. :D

@ Redbeard, When will these be available ? I want one now !

Looks like sometime next month according to their site. Hopefully early in the month, as in right around time for my upgrade. The look of the case and the price actually pushed me away from the 600t White and to this. I didn't expect to like the 400R. The 500R still looks better to me though, hope reviews for that pop up soon.

500R is the white one ? If so it does look awesome. Unfortunately I'd have to change everything else if I went with a white case.......

500R is the white one ? If so it does look awesome. Unfortunately I'd have to change everything else if I went with a white case.......

Thankfully with no window I'm not too concerned if all my parts match the color. I really like Corsair's white LED fans though. Much better than the blue things manufactures love to shove into their cases.

Wankers! twin 120's up front will be right cool, and it already has vented sides!

So, can I mount the Corsair H100 up top with a push/pull configuration in the 400R?

Maybe. I'm not sure what setup Corsair is using in the images they provided to Guru. I wish Guru had actually you know BUILT a system in the case they're reviewing. You'd think that would be something you do when you review a case, but what do I know?

I would suggest to Corsair to DROP the 1394 port and replace it with ESATA or normal USB.
a MATX version of this case would be VERY nice also!

Units are on the water now - should be arriving later this month depending on the region and reseller.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Units are on the water now - should be arriving later this month depending on the region and reseller.

Do you prefer the 600T, 650D or 400R?

I am seriously thinking of the 600T or 400R now, But that white 500R looks sweet as sugar :)

And I too wish they'd ditch the 1394 and opt for a esata or neither for that matter.

Will a eATX fit the 400 or 500R?

Last edited:
wow nice case. Too bad really it didn't come out sooner, I already purchased a CM 690 II advanced and the windowed side panel or I might have snagged this or the Fractal Arc midi instead. I'm pretty happy with the 690 II though.

This is my favorite corsair design to date. It seems like they are getting better. You could even add a third intake fan up front behind those mesh 5'1/4 slots and still have room for a DVD. That's pretty killer.. Also tons of well placed cooling... This could be real gaming powerhouse case..and it doesn't look too bad either.

It's some competition for the K62/Fractal Midi/Coolermaster 690II group - and might be better then any of them. Not sure I love the non-flat side panels but pretty perfect beyond that. Seems to be the best of that group actually..

That being said the front bezel is plastic with metal mesh no? That review said it was brushed aluminum.

Looks like plastic covers to me. I prefer the 500R personally.

As for the non-flat side, I think it looks ok, As on the other side, Its the same, Making for alot more room for routing.

Man, I'm really leaning towards this case.

H100 up top, and I can use my old water-cooling equipment with some 6850 waterblocks.
See if I can slap a dual-120 on the side panel blowing out :eek:

Man, I'm really leaning towards this case.

H100 up top, and I can use my old water-cooling equipment with some 6850 waterblocks.
See if I can slap a dual-120 on the side panel blowing out :eek:

Hrm, mounting holes on the side aren't exactly right for a dual 120.

gotta measure for a dual 140!

Side panel isn't pre-drilled for radiator spacing, but it's a very easy mod that would take about 2 minutes with a drill and a template.

This is my favorite corsair design to date. It seems like they are getting better. You could even add a third intake fan up front behind those mesh 5'1/4 slots and still have room for a DVD. That's pretty killer.. Also tons of well placed cooling... This could be real gaming powerhouse case..and it doesn't look too bad either.

It's some competition for the K62/Fractal Midi/Coolermaster 690II group - and might be better then any of them. Not sure I love the non-flat side panels but pretty perfect beyond that. Seems to be the best of that group actually..

That being said the front bezel is plastic with metal mesh no? That review said it was brushed aluminum.

Yeah, the review is off - plastic with metal mesh.

To be honest, I'd have preferred flat side panels as well, but this adds a lot of functionality for cable routing and accommodating large heatsinks for those guys who don't want a Hydro cooler.

That almost tempt me to go for this case with it's decent price. But after some careful consideration still going for 600T I think.

Currently waiting for Bulldozer release to decide which route to go (Intel or AMD) for my next big upgrade from my aging Phenom X4.

guru3d case reviews :( :(

no cooling performance testing, no system build in the case, no noise testing

That almost tempt me to go for this case with it's decent price. But after some careful consideration still going for 600T I think.

Currently waiting for Bulldozer release to decide which route to go (Intel or AMD) for my next big upgrade from my aging Phenom X4.

To be honest, even though we call the 600T and 650D mid-towers, they're about the same size as some of our competitor's "full towers", and our full tower dwarfs most of the competition. The 400R/500R are our first true mid-towers that are about the same size as the competition's mid-towers.

guru3d case reviews :( :(

no cooling performance testing, no system build in the case, no noise testing

Yeah. I'd rather watch 3DGameman at that point. He's a shill, but at least he's a shill with good information. I understand why companies like Corsair would sent cases to reviewers like that (cheap and easy PR), but I don't understand why people put so much faith in those reviewers when they can't properly review a case.

There are lots of different types of reviews, and some are more thorough and detailed than others. Same with car reviews. A new BMW might get reviewed by Consumer Reports and Car & Driver, and get good reviews from both, but for completely different reasons. Chances are Consumer Reports would focus mostly on gas mileage, build quality, comfort, and ease of use of the audio controls, while Car & Driver would focus more on 0-60mph times, braking distance, the new six-speed transmission, etc.

Both reviews have their places because their readers have different expectations.

There are lots of different types of reviews, and some are more thorough and detailed than others. Same with car reviews. A new BMW might get reviewed by Consumer Reports and Car & Driver, and get good reviews from both, but for completely different reasons. Chances are Consumer Reports would focus mostly on gas mileage, build quality, comfort, and ease of use of the audio controls, while Car & Driver would focus more on 0-60mph times, braking distance, the new six-speed transmission, etc.

Both reviews have their places because their readers have different expectations.

I understand that, but to stick with your car analogy not building a computer in a case during a review would be like reviewing a car just by looking at it and not actually testing it. Having information is nice, but when I'm reading a review I'd like to actually see some kinds of tests done. If someone reviewed a video card or CPU without actually testing it there would be outrage and I see not building a system in a case as the same kind of problem. From a pure informational standpoint the case looks awesome and the price is great, but the question still nags at me "what is the actual build process like?" and it's something reviews like this can't answer.

looks really good

doubtfully very quiet but thats obviously not the point! :D

I had to re-read their article title after looking at their "review".

They didn't even put anything in the case!

They state the last picture is from corsair lol

I'd call that mayyyybe a "Preview"

I'm not liking the outside look too much, but I understand why all the bulging. Will make a great case for packed systems.

Back