ZFS/FreeNAS related questions

najames

Weaksauce
I'm testing a FreeNAS 8.0.1 build, AMD Limpron 140, 2GB RAM, Asus 785 board, three 2TB Samsung F4 drives. FreeNAS is running on a 4GB USB flash drive. Intention is using this for streaming SageTV videos, backups, downloads, etc., small system with 6 or less drives.

The three 2TB drives in Raidz show up as only 3.6TB usable, does this seem right?

Drag and drop file transfers from Win 7 to the server go at about 50-55MB/s watching details in Win 7. Running over gigabit LAN, seems I should be getting much more?? I've tested here in the past and got over 100MB/s throughput, not on this "green" 24port switch though. I've tried "dd" commands that show the ZFS system itself is capable of 102MB/s writes, much higher reads.

I checked a box that "forces 4K sectors", ashift(?) is 12, supposed to be ok from what I read. I got some system complaint that my RAM was not enough, also nags about disk geometry. Not sure about it all.

I'm trying to decide if this is the right system for me, don't think so currently.

UnRaid seemed to work well, but I'd need to buy a license for up to 6 drives. Flexraid is out because the websites are down again, no confidence in it. I've had a WHSv1 server for 2yrs, hate it when demigrator & stuff goes nuts for hours during the night, a drive might be croaking from working OT. I have a new (old) Win2003 server license somewhere here too. I like Linux, might do something with that next. Solaris?? Perhaps a non-raid and just using external backup for important stuff is good enough. Thoughts??

Back