Facial Recognition and Social Media Sites Increase Privacy Risks

HardOCP News

[H] News
The big-brains at Carnegie Mellon University released a new study today confirming what we've already known for years...combining social media sites and facial recognition isn't such a good idea .

Acquisti said his research team combined three technologies — an off-the-shelf face recognizer, cloud computing and publicly available information from social network sites — to identify individuals online and offline in the physical world. Since these technologies are also accessible by end-users, the results foreshadow a future when we all may be recognizable on the street — not just by friends or government agencies using sophisticated devices, but by anyone with a smartphone and Internet connection.

Proud to say I don't have a MySpace, Facebook, or any other variant of social media account.

I can see it now.
Criminals will be taking pictures of people and then run them through face recognizer software. Once they have the name, just match it to an adress and have your buddies go rob the house.

Proud to say I don't have a MySpace, Facebook, or any other variant of social media account.

But they have you crossing the street, walking in a mall, most stores, getting on a subway,any transit system, arrest, etc, so you might as well sign up to any social media.:D

Back