Best Way to Migrate Programs from Old to New PC?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
Guys, my family friend has owned his work computer for around four years, and it is chock full of programs (Qucken, Sage Master Builder, Windows LiveMail, etc). We're looking for a way to transfer his programs and files from the old computer (Vista Home Premium) to the new one (W7 Home Premium).

We tried doing it the manual way, but it LiveMail has given us lots of problems, so we're trying to find a software solution that would make do it for us. We've been looking at Zinstall and PCMover, and both look like they'll do the job well over the network.

Do you guys have any suggestions for programs to use or a way to transfer programs from Vista to W7?

Thank you.

Whats the issue with Live Mail? I've exported and reimported on Live Mail without issues. Since its a Vista machine is he actually using Windows Live mail or is it just Windows Mail?

On a PC I always prefer the manual method. Export whatever programs require data to be imported (such as quicken) then either copy it all to an external hard drive and transfer to the new PC, otherwise remove old hard drive and attatch to new PC via USB adapter.

There are "easy transfer cables" out there, not sure if they will move programs though, With Windows I always prefer reinstalling the application and reimporting the data.

Unfortunately, due to the way that windows programs rely on the registry, the only way to be sure you've properly installed a program is to actually install it fresh.

Windows Easy Transfer

This should move over most everything.

You will have to move over Quicken and Sage stuff manually.

Windows Easy Transfer will move Live Mail over as long as you have it installed on the new computer.

Zinstall, specifically Zinstall WinWin (not XP7 - you are doing Vista to 7).
The best part of it is that it transfers everything, including Quicken etc.
I've personally done 2 transfers with it, and it worked fine.

The only thing that you'll have to do manually are apps that require custom drivers, like CD burners (assuming you are transferring from 32bit to 64bit).

Other than that - Zinstall really does save time, and is not as buggy as PCMover.

We bought Zinstall, but we're having some trouble with it. The directions say to get the computers onto the same home network, but what does that mean? Do I have to turn on file sharing? BTW this is on Vista and W7.

Thanks guys.

AFAIK, this means that they simply should be connected to the same router. I know that you can also connect directly with a network cable.
Check the firewall permissions if you are having trouble, I did have to temporarily disable Avast in one of the transfers.

I couldn't get the transfer to take place using the wireless network, so we did a hard-wired transfer.

Thanks guys, over and out.

Last edited:
Back