FXAA forcing code

wasteomind

Gawd
Someone over on the guru3d forums posted this, thought I would share. Seems it is a little collection of files to force enable FXAA in any D3D title.Looks like it works similar to the enbseries by placing a d3d9.dll in the game executable folder, but instead of forcing terrible effects it just enables FXAA shaders. Not sure if it works since I'm not at my gaming PC, but figured you guys might want a go at it.

MfA said:
FXAA for PC mod by some dude

Download

Mass Effect: NoFXAA FXAA
Mass Effect 2: NoAA FXAA
Metro 2033@Dx9: NoAA FXAA
Mafia II: NoAA FXAA
Dirt 2: NoAA FXAA
Dirt 3: NoAA FXAA
Sacred 2: NoFXAA FXAA
Arcania: NoFXAA FXAA

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=8862131&postcount=118

Gast said:
Re: Alles rund um FXAA (Treibereinstellungen, Shader-replacements)
Hi, I'm some dude and just wanted to see how fxaa looks on my notebook. But oh noes, I have only two old games and both use d3d9.
So instead of complaining I wrote some code and play those games with fxaa
now. It's faster than with the aa provided by the games.

Proof:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=s...hot483wo22.png
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=s...hot400yp6q.png

Maybe you guys want to see if my code works in other games as well, here is the link:
http://hotfile.com/dl/125526354/ca75...e_dude.7z.html

Post your experience.
Read the readme for more info. If it doesn't work for you, maybe I can fix it later. The logfile may be helpful.

Tested and works in DeadSpace 2, The Last Remnant, Transformers: War for Cybertron.

Does not seem to work in Borderlands, causes the screen to go very dark, or in Crysis 2, which crashes while loading.

Still trying others.

EDIT ok after testing this some more, it seems to impact gamma settings pretty badly in a lot of games....

Last edited:
only game i'd of probably used this on is dirt 3 but looking at the images for that game it turns everything into a blurry mess. i'll just stick with 2x AA instead.

In the mass effect 2 screenshots, the one with the galaxy map, you can see that FXAA on diminishes a lot of light objects in the distance.

I've run it on Dead Space 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 so far, and I think it's fantastic. I'm running Eyefinity with a single 6870 due to financial reasons, and being able to have a solid AA setting for three 1080p monitors with virtually no performance hit is awesome. It's not perfect, but it's something.

That said, I've yet to be able to get it to work with Bad Company 2. It took forever to load when I set it to dx9, and when I finally got it started, it wasn't actually doing anything. Probably because of the d3d9_42.dll that's already present there.

It looks like Some Dude has updated a few times since this thread was started. It's now on beta 5, which has support for both dx9 and dx10, as well as Bad Company 2. You can find it here and an ongoing topic for it at NeoGaf.

Has anyone tried using this on The Witcher 2? I get good performance out of the game with AA enabled, but don't think it looks particularly great - just wondering if FXAA would look better.

Anyone know what W2 uses for AA, anyway?

After relaying some info on UE3 game gamma/brightness issues through a nice member on the Steam forums to the developer of the hook, I can happily say beta 6 has fixed my problem.

Has anyone tried using this on The Witcher 2? I get good performance out of the game with AA enabled, but don't think it looks particularly great - just wondering if FXAA would look better.

Anyone know what W2 uses for AA, anyway?

I haven't tried it with it, a quick Google search seems to suggest it works. It's easy to use since it's drag and drop, so you shouldn't have much trouble trying it out when you have a chance.

After relaying some info on UE3 game gamma/brightness issues through a nice member on the Steam forums to the developer of the hook, I can happily say beta 6 has fixed my problem.

So, this will work for say Borderlands now? If so, I have to give it a go this weekend :D

So, this will work for say Borderlands now? If so, I have to give it a go this weekend :D

Yep I was testing it tonight. The developer of this little wonder has also added an optional sharpening shader that helps to relieve the blur on textures. The settings are a little strong by default, but with some tweaks it is pretty good. There are a bunch of other people working on it over at the 3Dcenter forum providing more optional shaders for bloom, and color and such. Worth checking out.

Yep I was testing it tonight. The developer of this little wonder has also added an optional sharpening shader that helps to relieve the blur on textures. The settings are a little strong by default, but with some tweaks it is pretty good. There are a bunch of other people working on it over at the 3Dcenter forum providing more optional shaders for bloom, and color and such. Worth checking out.

the sharpening shader uses a shitload of ram though. i rolled back to an older version just to avoid that thing.

the sharpening shader uses a shitload of ram though. i rolled back to an older version just to avoid that thing.

I hadn't noticed. I haven't tested it on any demanding games thus there was no ill effects. The majority of my use for this injector/hack/hook is crappy ass unreal engine 3 games. Well the games themselves aren't crappy, then engine is. I won't get into the specifics of my hatred toward it.

Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll keep and eye on it next time I'm at my gaming pc. Is there any specific information you can give concerning how bad the usage was or any ill effects?

How do you tweak the sharpening settings?

When I tried running it with Borderlands a week ago the textures were noticeably blurred :(

I have not played with it since as I've had no free time. Any thoughts that would help?

How do you tweak the sharpening settings?

When I tried running it with Borderlands a week ago the textures were noticeably blurred :(

I have not played with it since as I've had no free time. Any thoughts that would help?

Selective quote from my post over at guru3d forum.

enabling it by replacing this line inthe Shader.fx file:

//Replace this line with #include "Sharpen.h" to add a sharpening pass

with this:

#include "Sharpen.h"

and using the following settings in the Sharpen.h file to see if it helps:

#define SharpenEdge 0.15
#define Sharpen_val0 1.5

I found that this fixed the texture detail in most games while using this FXAA solution.
There is a pretty extensive discussion of this FXAA tool starting from post 59 if you want some additional reading:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348097&page=3

Selective quote from my post over at guru3d forum.

There is a pretty extensive discussion of this FXAA tool starting from post 59 if you want some additional reading:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348097&page=3

Now THAT looks nice!

I can't see any texture blur in Borderlands, and the menus also look less blurred. The FXAA is still applied correctly on all surfaces. It's not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than it was!

Now I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3, which has FXAA built-in. I can't wait to see how good it looks with it optimized even further :D

Back