Apple Ousts Nokia as Top Smartphone Vendor

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For 15 years, Nokia has dominated the cellphone market as the number one company in global sales, but that run has ended with Apple taking the number one slot and Samsung taking over second place. Nokia global market share fell from a high of 38% last year to just over 15%. The overall market grew by over 11%, led by Apple and Samsung.

The shrinking feature phone market had a great impact on some of the world's largest suppliers of mobile phones, such as Nokia, which is losing share in the feature phone category to low-cost suppliers, said the report.

And how much of that additional market share was due to paying off judges, trashing people and out right hammering people/competitors into the ground using its personnal paid off legal system.

I wonder how many people will mis-interpret those numbers and that report and say that Android phones are now in second place?

Where are all these people who used to buy Nokia smartphones?

I don't think I've ever even seen anyone with a Nokia smartphone...

In the last 4 years or so since smart phones have really taken hold the business market has solidly belonged to RIM with their Blackberry devices. Everyone else has been using either iPhones or Android devices.

When I think Nokia, I think old school pre-smartphone cellphones..

Something like this:

Nokia%20-%203360%20-%20Front%20%232.JPG

Zarathustra[H];1037575487 said:
When I think Nokia, I think old school pre-smartphone cellphones..

Something like this:

Me 2. One of my first phones was a nokia.

Haha nice, you already posted the picture of my very first phone. Or maybe it was the larger, black version before it.

450px-IBM_SImon_in_charging_station.png

$900 in 1994 dollars. My dad got this for free during a sales contest at his work.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon for all the exciting details.

He switched to a thick motorola phone in the late 90's though, but was way smaller.

MotorolaOldFlipPhone.jpg

Wait. Why are we linking pictures of old phones? lol

(oh, but my mom and dad both moved to a Nokia that looked just like the earlier-linked nokia... I think the same thing when I hear about this company)

Can't believe people here doesn't know anything about Nokia. They make solid freaking phone not like the iPhone crap. Their only problem was crappy Symbian OS. They will dominate again with Windows P7. I might pick up Nokia N9 Meego if WP7 OS isn't to my taste. The only thing I don't like about WP7 is the live social networks UI since I don't use any of that.

The picture of the grey Motorola cell phone is the first cell phone I ever knew about. This was mid 90s.

Good stuff.

If a smart phone is smart, what does that make its user?

Can't believe people here doesn't know anything about Nokia. They make solid freaking phone not like the iPhone crap. Their only problem was crappy Symbian OS. They will dominate again with Windows P7. I might pick up Nokia N9 Meego if WP7 OS isn't to my taste. The only thing I don't like about WP7 is the live social networks UI since I don't use any of that.

They used to be big, but not anymore. Like Motorola, they took a massive lead and never innovated off of it, resulting in their own demise (not death, yet?)

If it helps, the Mango (WP latest update - still in beta) has a slightly improved Social UI that actually puts more info into there.

If it helps, the Mango (WP latest update - still in beta) has a slightly improved Social UI that actually puts more info into there.

Actually Mango was just RTM this past week. Nokia needs to get into phones and Microsoft needs to do what ever it takes to get WP7 out in the market. $100+ coupons for WP7 devices with the purchase of a Windows 7 computer like the Xbox deal. Push, push, push. WP7 is turning into a fine phone OS, it just needs hardware and incentives to get people interested. The app Marketplace is closing in on 30,000 apps, should be close to 50,000 when Nokia phones start to hit late this year so there's enough there for the majority of people.

It may not be 'cool' like a fruit or robot phone, but I love my little 5230.

Dirt cheap to buy, and cheap to run (without a contract), does all i need it to do (calls/sms, music, maps, camera, mobile internet) and when the time does come to retire it, I can just pull the sim card and use it as a free satnav.

Not knocking the competition, but for me the more expensive phones only benefit the mobile networks, locking me into a contract where they can nickle and dime me to death.

Back