July 2011 - Best 120Hz 23-24"

biatche

n00b
Deciding between Asus VG236H and Samsung S23A950D. Anything else to choose? What would you folks choose and why?

From what I gather, the Samsung panel is seriously, seriously glossy. Something I prefer. But others may not. The ASUS panel is relatively glossy but they have some type of "anti-reflective coating". I choose color vibrancy over removal of reflection. I haven't seen either in person though, so I can't give you a personal experience.

So for me, I'd take the Samsung.

It is actually the opposite, the Samsung is less relfective than the Asus which uses full glossy while Samsung uses their "ultra clear panel." I was skeptical at first, but after getting the Asus it became very obvious the Samsung was less relfective.

OP I have tested the Samsung S27A950D, it should have the same performance as the 23," and right now I have the Asus which has superior image quality.

I got lucky and my Asus has no bleeding, also the VG236HE does not come with the 3D vision kit, if you purchase them seperately you can save some $ and get a free game. Here are some pics of the Asus with the out of the box "Theater Mode," which nicely over saturates colors w/o greatly distorting the image quality and making people look weird. Pretty sure the Asus is a lot cheaper, so given the most likely better performance I would get it.

You could also check out the BenQ XL2410T. They're currently selling refubished models on the BenQ website for steals!

The BenQ and the Asus are very similiar in many ways. The BenQ also has extreme height and side to side swivel to make it the most table firendly and adjustable gaming monitor. Early adopters of the XL2410T had lots of complaints but it seems that the 2nd generation got all the bugs fixed. The main difference I would say between the Asus and the BenQ is that the BenQ has a few extra special features such as Picture by picture mode and screen size ratio changes. The screen size ratio adjustment is pretty sweet cause you can change the ratio through to OSD, without interferring your gaming experience. Also keep in mind that out of box color is not ideal due to it usually being pre-set to FPS out of box.

Check out the BenQ and make a comparison for yourself. At the price it's going for it's a real steal for a 120hz monitor.

The 950 is glossy as shit; based on my subjective viewing of both, the 750 120hz (PC monitor of normalish design) is not like a hall of mirrors and cannot have the same panel, or perhaps at least the same coating. It looks pretty damn good.

I just ordered the VG236HE. Should be here tomorrow (thank you amazon prime!). I generally dislike glossy panels, so we'll see how this goes. Let me know if you have any questions!

Not many choices heh... generally just prefer to hear people's feedback, and there are too few 120hz lcd comparison.

Just got my VG236HE from newegg. Awesome monitor, beats the crud out of my old HP w2207. The only time the glossy bothers me is in the morning with the sun coming up. I usually game at night anyway.

Planar SA2311W is an option if you want a matte (non-glossy) screen. I've got both it and the Asus VG236HE, and while the Asus appears to have more "pop" at first, the difference mostly disappears with proper calibration (and you don't have to deal with reflection issues). The cabinet, swivel, buttons, and OSD of the Planar are all far superior as well, for those who care about such things. The Planar also has line out for HDMI audio, which the Asus strangely does not.

How would you say the planar matte compares to dells U2311's or the alienware, they tend to be aggressive.

The planar uses a samsung panel so it most likely uses medium ag coating

Get either the Alienware or the Planar if you want a matte style monitor. Get the Asus model if you want a glossy monitor.

Matte:
Planar SA2311W
Alienware AW2310

Glossy:
Samsung S23A950D
Asus VG236HE

ok, so so far, why is it that nobody thinks s23a950d is that good? i was under the impression that since it was recently released, it uses newer technology..

Matte:
Planar SA2311W
Alienware AW2310

Glossy:
Samsung S23A950D
Asus VG236HE

ok, so so far, why is it that nobody thinks s23a950d is that good? i was under the impression that since it was recently released, it uses newer technology..

The reason I don't think the S23A950D is that good is the 1 year warranty. Samsung must not be too confident in that model to warrant a 3 year warranty. If Samsung lacks confidence in it, so do I.

My VG236HE arrived. A few things. Color is miserable out of the box, but is much improved after calibration. However, it still doesn't touch the color of my old gateway e-IPS display. Also, the default brightness will probably destroy your retinas, so you might want to dial that down quite a bit.

The display is indeed very reflective, although I don't noticed the splotchiness that I've seen on other glossy displays. The glossiness appears very smooth and uniform if that makes any sense. I will say, it hasn't changed my mind about glossy displays, and I will probably not be using the VG236HE as my primary display (will probably purchase a Dell 2412m).Contrast is good for an lcd. Also, there is some backlight bleeding at the top and bottom edges of the screen, although it's only really noticeable when the screen is black, and even then it's not bad.

The 120 Hz is indeed awesome. I just played a little Battlefield Bad Company 2 with maxed out settings with my 570 gtx putting out around 80 fps. It was extremely smooth. No need to turn on vsync. Oddly, I did see tearing while playing crysis (fps around 40). I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the game settings. I did enjoy the glossiness for games.

Unfortunately, my display has ONE STUCK PIXEL. This is a major bummer in a 2010 monitor. I'll try unsticking it tonight.

My VG236HE arrived. A few things. Color is miserable out of the box, but is much improved after calibration. However, it still doesn't touch the color of my old gateway e-IPS display. Also, the default brightness will probably destroy your retinas, so you might want to dial that down quite a bit.

The display is indeed very reflective, although I don't noticed the splotchiness that I've seen on other glossy displays. The glossiness appears very smooth and uniform if that makes any sense. I will say, it hasn't changed my mind about glossy displays, and I will probably not be using the VG236HE as my primary display (will probably purchase a Dell 2412m).Contrast is good for an lcd. Also, there is some backlight bleeding at the top and bottom edges of the screen, although it's only really noticeable when the screen is black, and even then it's not bad.

The 120 Hz is indeed awesome. I just played a little Battlefield Bad Company 2 with maxed out settings with my 570 gtx putting out around 80 fps. It was extremely smooth. No need to turn on vsync. Oddly, I did see tearing while playing crysis (fps around 40). I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the game settings. I did enjoy the glossiness for games.

Unfortunately, my display has ONE STUCK PIXEL. This is a major bummer in a 2010 monitor. I'll try unsticking it tonight.

I agree about the brightness. I felt like this thing was giving me a tan. But overall I am enjoying the asus. For $240 open box free shipping from newegg and no dead pixels I cannot complain.

Where do you get that it's 1 year warranty? Appears to have 3 years here.

Directly from Samsung. This was their reply when I questioned the warranty period:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.
We understand that you would like to know the why the warranty for SA950
model is only 1 year.
We are really sorry, SA950 model monitor has only 1 year warranty. Warranty differs from model to model and it will not be same for all the models.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.

According to Samsung, it only has a 1 year warranty... :mad:

Back