20-Year-Old Man Dies After Marathon Gaming Sessions

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
There is definitely a lesson to be learned here and that would be that there is more to life than gaming. That may be heresy in the gaming world, but long term gaming sessions can take their toll. Game responsibly.

“Chris lived for his Xbox. When he got into a game he could play it for hours and hours on end, sometimes 12 hours in a stretch. He got sucked in playing Halo online against people from all over the world.”

Chris and his parents were stupid and didn't see he had an issue. That said, terrible luck with the blood clot.

"Staniforth was extremely unlucky." I would say extremely stupid... 12 hours non-stop, get some mental help.

you probaly dont sit for 12c hours at work with out at least gettining up every cpl hours to walk to the bathroom. Thats not the same as sittining in same position with out gettining up at all. lol reminds me of the South park episode on WZOW where Cartmann wohad to have his mom bring chamber pots so he could go potty at his computer .

Well golly... and I thought that my pinky and ring finger going numb on my right hand after playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for 25 hours straight and then 30 hours straight a month later was bad (after which the numbness has never gone away lol).

Remind me never to do that again...

12 hours? Pft, thats it? I've puled some 72 hour sessions with friends, but we usually get up and move every few hours, or switch games.

12 hours? Pft, thats it? I've puled some 72 hour sessions with friends, but we usually get up and move every few hours, or switch games.

That's what baffles me...

Fucking halo.... I mean I can understand games like MMOs where things are constantly changing and you're doing different things or socializing.. but halo is the same shit different day after... oh I don't know.. a day.

Fucking halo.... I mean I can understand games like MMOs where things are constantly changing and you're doing different things or socializing.. but halo is the same shit different day after... oh I don't know.. a day.

MMO constantly changing? you kidding me? Things don't change worth shit until a big update comes along and that's rare.

I can't say i think he had areal problem gaming for 12 hours, but not getting up is another matter. I mean holy cow, 12 hours sitting is quite a time.

I won't call the parents stupid, because of the following quote but they probably should get him off his ass a bit every now and then for food and such, if nothing else.

He continued: “I’m not for one minute blaming the manufacturer of Xbox. It isn’t their fault that people use them for so long. But I want to highlight the dangers that can arise.”

Common sense, this man actually has some.

i mean you get to the pearly gates, the ether or what ever and its like dude what you die from ?? and your answers like im not sure i was teabagging some dude in halo and then all of a sudden i see this white light i though i had unlocked some kind of new achievement and i went to press x only to realize i was standiing here and not knowing where here is ... wait you mean im dead like for realz realz ?? S*$!! dont tea bag me dude !!

MMO constantly changing? you kidding me? Things don't change worth shit until a big update comes along and that's rare.

In halo you see the same crap, same levels over and over and over. By constantly changing I mean there is much more to do. Also, yes updates come once every few months or whatever but usually there is a lot of new things to do.

For example, I've played a lot of black ops.. I've prestiged 3-4 times now.. I really want to know how the people have done it 15 times without hacking... because they're playing the same shit over and over.

I play Halo with friends, would never jump into a match with a bunch of randoms though.

Halo matches last a max of what, 12 minutes? Just stand up and get a drink. I have played some 4 hour sessions of RTS games, and even then, we all pooled our resources together and protected the base of the person we sent to go get drinks, lol.

it's hard to get up and stretch when you're in the middle of a hard core fragging session...you keep telling yourself that you'll take a break after the level is over or some other achievement is reached but you can't pull yourself away from a really good game

This isnt really anything new. It is funny how people think 12 hours is a lot. I was actually surprised it was only 12 hours.

Go do some research and you will see many people have died from similar situations. I remember some asian dude who died after gaming for like 2 or 3 days straight without taking a break(I cant remember exactly how long it was)....Now that is a session...

If you guys get into gaming marathons like the unlucky guy in this story used to, just take a 10 minute break every couple hours so that you renew the blood flow in your legs. You probably do this anyway by going to the bathroom, grabbing a snack, etc, so most normal people have nothing to worry about.

12 hours? Pussy. Get back to me after a three day without sleep EverQuest binge.

I play Halo with friends, would never jump into a match with a bunch of randoms though.

Halo matches last a max of what, 12 minutes? Just stand up and get a drink. I have played some 4 hour sessions of RTS games, and even then, we all pooled our resources together and protected the base of the person we sent to go get drinks, lol.

That's awesome haha

Having a dog thats almost two years old , a three month old puppy and a kitten I have no other choice but to get up every two or less hours for some reason. I am very greatful I have the animals. Without them I would be stuck to the computer all day , just getting up for the toilet every four or five hours , or getting up to get something to eat / drink. I need to find a shop that will sell me a life lol.

Gaming did not kill him

a blood clot that wasn't taken care of was what killed him.

This is a misleading story.

I love video games. But I don't see how anyone can play for more than a couple hours at a time.

Gaming did not kill him

a blood clot that wasn't taken care of was what killed him.

This is a misleading story.

Yea, but his gaming made him sit, which caused the blood clot. It makes sense. It's like... hmm... I guess, the surgery didn't kill someone, the knife that fell killed him or something to that extent... yea... or something.

I love how the parents(I think) said they didn't think computer games killed.

It was console/video games. Now we gotta hear the bitching how PC games kill but nothing about console games. I think sitting on a couch didn't help since its a bit more comfy even than an office chair.

After reading some of these posts and the the lengths people have played for i have to wonder how many people here are prescribed adderall or other amphetamines :p

I can understand playing hours on end as i do it myself but tens of hours solid as in multiple days seams like some strong stimulants would be required, if not prescriptions it must be a super unhealthy amount of caffeine.

The most I've ever gamed without getting up is 8 hours.

After that.. it just wasn't as fun.

In somewhat related news I saw a story (that I can't find!) where it was reported that in a Korean 100-hour Starcraft marathon only something like 9 people died this year which is good news since last year 30 died. heheh

I dont get this... They have to all be deyhdrated, I'm constantly drinking either water or juice or something while at my PC.. so it forces you to get up to piss, sans pissing your pants.

FFFFF new round is starting.. better drink my own piss

Risk factors for deep vein thrombosis are age, obesity, infection, immobilization, smoking, travelling by air.. and immobility combined with not getting enough liquid intake.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

They said he was fit. Is it just me or did he look overweight in the picture? I hate media because they don't flat out lie but they change facts around to make it look different than it is.

I get really weak and tired if I sit too long, so I avoid it now and limit my time playing video games.

Gonna send this to my 10yo nephew who does nothing but sit in front of the computer for 10-15 hours at a time

If he died from a blood clot from just sitting and playing games, then he already had a problem. I have had a family member that has had massive blood clot problems (my aunt, who almost died) and she asked if it was from not being active enough, and was told that's really a myth-- when it does happen there is an underlying issue with either a clotting problem in the person (which means they would get the clot eventually anyway) or there is an underlying disease causing it.

Odd thing is, I have a friend that also had a blood clot in his legs.. He used to sit around a lot and play games, but in the last 3 years he's lost tons of weight, is in much better shape, and might spend a few hours every few days playing games... Turns out blood clots run in his family and the older he gets the more he could wind up with them.

The only other way to get them is with internal surgeries, where you're laid up lying down in a bed for a while (which is the reason they give people blood thinners in the hospital after those kinds of procedures). For a while after that, while you heal, you are recommended to get up and move around for a while.

The only real way to get it through just sitting too long is if you sit in a very cramped position for long periods of time. That's where the "healthy person sitting around getting deep vein thrombosis" stories come from. These are normally very uncomfortable and unusual ways of getting it, not normally a way one would sit while gaming, unless they enjoyed sitting like they were being practically crammed into a cube.

A few months ago I thought just like that, though.. mere sitting too long for a healthy person could cause it.. I got set straight..

That's not saying you don't want to get up and stretch once in a while.. because 12 hour marathon gaming sessions can give you nasty leg cramps, and isn't very good for the waistline either.. Take it from me, I sit at my computer around 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, and at times have had 12 hour marathon sessions.. Always though I was lucky not getting the blood clots-- but I have gotten some bad ass leg cramps, where, I swear, my calf muscle was trying to detach and escape.

back in the 80's, during the days of nintendo, we actually went outside and got some fresh air.
Makes me nostalgic just thinking about it.

now, people just sit on their ass all day

Back