Need help with a recommendation...22"-24"

tel1jag

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. I was hoping for a general consensus or a fairly popular response on a display recommendation.

I am replacing a couple of 17-inch monitors (samsung syncmaster 172T and dell 1704FTP) and would like to go with something between a 21"--24". I am currently driving them with an ASUS EAH4850 (Radeon HD 4850), but will be buying a Radeon HD 6950 shortly (probably the HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB) and felt this was an appropriate time to upgrade the displays. So, I'd be buying a pair...do I get an IPS and a gamer or two of the same?

I do a lot of non-gaming with them, but I also do some degree of gaming as well...(Witcher/Witcher II, Guildwars, Diablo 3 when they release it...etc...) I don't do much FPS on the PC...mostly on my XBOX, but won't say that I never will, but obviously I am more medium-end gaming and much less hardcore.

Someone on the Video Card forum recommended the ASUS VH232H, but having run through this forum, I don't see that mentioned anywhere...which has given me some pause...

Would there be a general suggestion for a 23" (really anything from 21" to 24") solid performer that most folks feel is a good all around display? Again, I would be getting a pair to replace my dual set up now.

Thank you in advance and thanks for your patience in reading all of this...

--Jeff

Holy smokes, I just came to ask almost the exact question. Rather than clutter up the forum with my own thread then, I'll just hop in here as well. Also replacing a pair of 17" monitors (Dell 1704FPVt's), looking for something 23-24", at least 1080p (but 19x12 is better).

Suggestions?

Have you thought about giving some of those VA monitors a try? I got the EW2420 and it's a great monitor. If you're not looking for FPS gaming monitors then VA's will produce brilliant colors for you. The one drawback is that VA monitors are slower when it comes to response time so you won't be getting no 5ms response time out of them. But if you're playing MMOs or general use it will do spectacular. Colors while playing MMO games or watching BD is absolutely spectacular. It's extremely sharp with details too. I even play COD on mine and experience no problems. No ghosting no trailing effects. The main advantage of VA panels is that they're much cheaper than IPS paneled monitors yet they offer on par performance with lower end IPS monitors if not better. They offer wider viewing angles compared to TN panel, much superior picture quality and color contrast since its native 3000:1 contrast ratio. Also the EW2420 or newer EW2430v have high amounts of port connectivity. Standard package comes with 2 HDMI ports, 1 DVI, 1 D-Sub and 4 USB ports. Although it has onboard speakers, I wouldn't recommend you counting on them, they're rather small and quiet hahah

How do I tell what kind of panel each monitor has? If I look at the details of each on on Newegg, I don't see anything that indicates whether it's TN/IPS/xVA.

Thanks Joeshmoe...I'll add VA into my thinking.

Do you feel VA is the best choice for an all around type of display....good color and angle of view and is still "quick enough" not to disappoint in gaming? Again, not worried about having the best FPS response, but wanting to make sure that I cover my bases that it's good enough.

Thanks.

Do you feel VA is the best choice for an all around type of display....good color and angle of view and is still "quick enough" not to disappoint in gaming?

For me it is because I like the great black level and wide viewing angles. FPS gaming does not disappoint. Not sure why someone needs a shitty 2ms TN display for gaming. Just find an 8-bit VA panel with low input lag and 8ms or better response.

dark_reign, is there a model you prefer or some ones that are thought of very highly...joeshmoe suggests the BenQ, but I was wondering if there was also any love for Asus or Samsung, etc?

What VA are you running?

Thanks.

dark_reign, is there a model you prefer or some ones that are thought of very highly...joeshmoe suggests the BenQ, but I was wondering if there was also any love for Asus or Samsung, etc?

What VA are you running?

Thanks.
My LG L246W (MVA) is still working fine after four years, but unfortunately LG quit making VA monitors. Asus or BenQ would be my first choices if I were looking for a high quality and affordable VA monitor.

I'd probably go with the BenQ EW2420, ASUS ML249H, or the SAMSUNG 2333T if I were looking to buy one today at a good price.

How do I tell what kind of panel each monitor has? If I look at the details of each on on Newegg, I don't see anything that indicates whether it's TN/IPS/xVA.
Check the viewing angles. A 178 degree horizontal and vertical viewing angle is a good indication it's VA or IPS.

Check the viewing angles. A 178 degree horizontal and vertical viewing angle is a good indication it's VA or IPS.
What about monitors from a few years back? For example, is a Dell U2412 hugely better than, say, a 2407FP, or is it worth saving a few bucks to stay with the older monitor?

Interesting....the ML249H doesn't have DVI? It does HDMI to DVI cables?

Should I be concerned about that?

The EW2420 has bad color presets, and despite using an MVA panel the Asus ML2494H Review has a lower contrast ratio than most monitors and is slow just like the BenQ. The ML249H is pretty worthless considering VA panels are supposed to have deep blacks and its are lighter than most. The EW2420 I tested also had poor colors and poor screen uniformity. VA panels have deep blacks and some have good colors but they are all slower compared to the IPS and TN panels, except for the Eizo Foris FS2331.

Nothing wrong with the 2333t except the slow response time, but it is only worth using for PC gaming since it supports 72-76hz refresh rates (ghosting is more visible with low FPS console games). I would get the new IPS Dell U2412M for an all around display as IPS panels have the best viewing angles+color stability and for once you don't have to suffer from 20-50% lower contrast (grey blacks washed out colors) than the competion.

Last edited:
You always just so happen to test BenQ monitors with poor presets or poor quality which is bad luck. But its another thing to go around professing it like that's the standard for those monitors and they suck period. It is untrue.And not just me, but tons of other users can back their perfectly fine working monitors.

Just to close out the thread, I went with the Samsung 2333Ts (again, got 2 of them) and I have to say, that so far, I am very, very pleased with them. Got them through Amazon. The colors are fantastic and so far no issues with gaming.

I had just upgraded my video card to the Sapphire 6950 and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.

--Jeff

Back