Facebook to Pay Hackers for Bug Reports

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Facebook is looking for a few good hackers to help find and fix problems with the website. The stipulation will be that Facebook gets the reports first and have time to act upon those reports. A new website was launched on Friday where ‘researchers’, a nice name for hackers, can sign up for the program. Facebook is offering monetary rewards for bug reports.

Company executives say that keeping good relationships with the hacker community is very important. Facebook has sponsored high-profile parties at the Defcon hacking conference for the past two years.

What's to stop these 'hackers' from selling info on a breach in some black market instead of giving it to Facebook. If I know Facebook, they won't pay much.

If it were a serious enough exploit, it would be worth a lot. Ton of juicy data on users..

considering the company was started by hacking and run by a young hacker, i'd hope they would be open to the idea

They don't need hackers...just about anyone could let them know of thousands of bugs that are blatantly obvious.

Find enough bugs, and I bet FB would hire these "researchers" full time and pay very very well.

Back