Google+ Traffic Dropping Already?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google+ traffic dropping off already? I think it is too soon to really tell but these numbers don't look very good. :eek:

Google's social-networking foray saw fewer U.S. visitors last week, and those who did visit spent less time on the site on average, according to new data released today by market researcher Experian Hitwise. Google+ had 1.79 million visits for the week ending July 23, a decrease of 3 percent compared with the previous week when the network had 1.86 million visits, Experian Hitwise reported.

Well, they've broken it for people who were using a "Google Account" that is the same email address an a "Google Apps" account. (I hadn't migrated my Google Apps account yet, which turns each Google Apps account into a real Google Account. Unfortunately, Google Apps Accounts are missing some features - most notably 'profiles', a required feature for Google+.)

Isn't this to be expected? They got a massive short term boost due to the buzz(pun unintended), so people checked it out because they could. But actually drawing away the masses from Facebook? That's a long term plan. They'll have a small active audience now, likely the tech sector, and hopefully it will grow outward from there.

I don't know how anyone would expect that everyone instantly be replacing Facebook with it, it's not that simple, even if you far prefer it.

Google wont replace facebook, it doesn't have the same content, it will attrack a different crowd i think.

Google wont replace facebook, it doesn't have the same content, it will attrack a different crowd i think.

I already like it better, I talk to the same 5 people on it as I do on facebook but theres no crap to sith through to find it. I also don't have to go through and ignore everything as they release new apps like they do for facebook. I think I would like facebook more if it was better at NOT letting these app's spam you as sometimes people don't know they are posting that "they just answered a question about you" and are letting EVERYONE know about it!

Rant over, I prefer google+ because I can just communicate with certain people that require these types of social outlets easier.

See google dicked this up. My personal opinion on why facebook was so successful was because of the way it rolled out. It started by only allowing people who were already in a community (Harvard, then the various colleges). It started out connecting people who were already friends in real life, probably already communicating on the internet, so it was just a natural augmentation to an established community.

Google+ tossed out a wide net and said "come on in." The problem with that is that it really attracted a bunch of people dispersed around the internet (technically oriented folks) who didn't necessarily know each other or communicate regularly. I'm betting there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of google+ accounts out there with 3 or less relationships. With no content, it's no wonder people are abandoning it.

Do I think Google+ is the better way to run social networking? Oh hell yes...but they're doing a shit job of getting people to actually use it the way it was intended and it's going to die.

Makes sense to an extent. If your family members haven't switched to Google+ yet and you want to check in to see how your brother's doing at university, your sister or others, etc you are going to have to eventually check other social networking sites.

Bad habits die hard I think is the expression? Previous facebook addicts might head back and check Facebook to see how their non-switched relatives are and forget to go back to Google+ to check on their more tech-savvy friends. Not to mention, Tech-savvy people sometimes lead fairly boring lives:

Raided in wow again. Downed 4 of 7 bosses. Made attempts on Alysrazor but kept getting whiped in P4 transition phase when aoe-occured. Probably duye to 1-2 healers continually dieing in the phase in which we are suppose to dodge tornades P3. Fortunately, bosses life was down to 30M out of 60M so we should only need to complete two phases at most.

(Note, most people would stop reading that status update after 'raided in wow'. :D.)

(Note, most people would stop reading that status update after 'raided in wow'. :D.)

I seriously did...then read that and thought "damn spot on"..your knowledge of psychology is impressive. :D

Well honestly what do they expect. There is nothing on google+ hardly.

This is not surprising. Think about it. Tons of people went there just because it was new to see what it was like. Then they saw the layout and saw that it had less content and pictures and people, etc. and went back to using facebook more; ultimately thinking to themselves that they wonder how it will be when Google+ gets that big.

Another mystery: SOLVED!

Most people I know that use facebook a lot don't even know about it.

Chicken little article me thinks.

Also wanted to add, that following interesting people you will find there is a ton of cool stuff being posted all day long. Its like twitter in that respect, but facebook that it is rich content with page previews and video.

Before anyone counts Google+ as dead, or in trouble, or whatever, shouldn't it make it out of beta/limited field testing?

Honestly I love it and would kinda like it to not overtake FB. The people I want to network with are on there, and none of those acquaintances that I friended out of guilt are on there yet. Im looking at you 70% of my FB stream that is nothing but pictures and status updates about newborns and toddlers.

3% is 3%. :rolleyes:

That 3% drop is reported by a 3rd party that is getting their numbers how, exactly?

The article acknowledges it doesn't include mobile *OR* navigation bar usage.

Besides, some pretty simple match proves the reported numbers are ridiculous. On July 14th Google+ was at 10 million users according to Larry Page. Now it is being reported that Google is at 20 million users. However, this 3rd party claims that only 1.79 million views happened for the week of the 23rd and 1.86 million for the week of the 16th. So somehow G+ gained 10 million users with less than 3 million visitors - someone is *very* far off in their numbers, and I'm betting it's the 3rd party's claimed numbers for visitors.

I think Facebook is better. I have Google+ and its not as good or easy to use as facebook.

Having tried both, I really doubt Google+ will be anywhere close to the popularity of Facebook. It's not going to be like the transition from MySpace to Facebook.

Well, their traffic wouldn't be dropping off if they'd open up the goddamn invites. I'm sure a lot of folks like me periodically check in, but really haven't paid much attention to it since we can't get our own +You.

I have a G+ account but there's no content. I got maybe 15 friends on there and none of them use it daily unlike Facebook, so what's the point.

Something I've been saying from day one is that there isn't a big killer feature that G+ has that will draw in the masses. Sure, it will get a good crowd of techies, but you aren't gonna get the general masses. Whether or not that is a good thing is matter of opinion.

Although I do love the clean interface and how snappy it is, how long until Google starts putting ads all over it?

I have a G+ account but there's no content. I got maybe 15 friends on there and none of them use it daily unlike Facebook, so what's the point.

Something I've been saying from day one is that there isn't a big killer feature that G+ has that will draw in the masses. Sure, it will get a good crowd of techies, but you aren't gonna get the general masses. Whether or not that is a good thing is matter of opinion.

Although I do love the clean interface and how snappy it is, how long until Google starts putting ads all over it?

I actually don't even get Google+ and no I know know uses it except to sign up for it, take a peek at it, and then leave it forever. None of my friends us it and none of them like it.

Far as I see, it is gmail with circles...people make 'posts' like a forum and people respond and I get an email, that looks like any other email that comes into gmail..

Same complaints here as everyone else - no content because not everyone is there yet. I mean, G+ works fine, but it's basically just a Google version of Facebook. What's the big draw besides the fact that it's Google?

Google+ isn't even publicly available. Until anyone can sign up without an invite, this means very little.

This makes sense that they would have less page hits for their site.....google users aren't going to use the site, they are going to use all the applets that are available elsewhere, like in your gmail acccount, or on your mobile phone. At least thats what I do.

I have found Google+ extremely useful for sharing content instantly from my Android phone, take a picture, choose which circle to share it with, done. The beauty of it is its segmentation of contacts, I don't want to send my parents and all my friends pictures of me and my buddy getting smashed at beer fest. :)

Haven't checked google+ yet. How is its game implementation compared to facebook?

Well, their traffic wouldn't be dropping off if they'd open up the goddamn invites. I'm sure a lot of folks like me periodically check in, but really haven't paid much attention to it since we can't get our own +You.

^ this

I like the concept of Circles, but I really have no use for it. I never share inappropriate stuff on social media that I wouldn't want everyone seeing. I see 0 reason to use G+ instead of Facebook.

If you don't think there is any content you aren't following the right people. Ton of great content posted every second.

I haven't been invited yet... I think it's hard to tell unless everyone has access to G+

I have found Google+ extremely useful for sharing content instantly from my Android phone, take a picture, choose which circle to share it with, done. The beauty of it is its segmentation of contacts, I don't want to send my parents and all my friends pictures of me and my buddy getting smashed at beer fest. :)

Probably one of my most favorite features on Google+. Sharing photos has never been extremely tough, but Google+ takes the icing for me.

Back