Next To Impossible Achievements

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how game designers think that "new and interesting" actually means damn near impossible. Oh well, the developers claim they want to see your reaction to this idea, personally I think games are supposed to be fun. This sounds like anything but.

Do it on an entire game runthrough. Also, if you die, your punishment involves returning to the dashboard and restarting the game. I look forward to the wailing of tweets and gnashing of teeth from those of you brave enough to attempt Hardcore Mode once the game comes out.

thats the way all achievements should be.

most achievements arnt achievements and are just yay i hit the start button at the main menu... get to a certain point in a linear game and you get an achievement for doing nothing other than getting to chapter 4 ect.

90% of achievements are useless and pose no sense of accomplishment. mass effect 1 had it right and made achievemnts benifit additional playthroughs but every other game they are just a waste of time or are too easy to get that whats the point.

thats the way all achievements should be.

most achievements arnt achievements and are just yay i hit the start button at the main menu... get to a certain point in a linear game and you get an achievement for doing nothing other than getting to chapter 4 ect.

90% of achievements are useless and pose no sense of accomplishment. mass effect 1 had it right and made achievemnts benifit additional playthroughs but every other game they are just a waste of time or are too easy to get that whats the point.

QFT

And as crazy as that achievement sounds, there are players out there dedicated enough and skilled enough to get it done. I personally don't have the patience for such madness however.

Did anyone ever play that level in point blank where if you failed the two characters laughed in your face for ages and ages and you couldn't quit it?

Games should be more like that. They are too godamned easy.

only gripe about this achievement is that its a kinect game and kinect lags and doesn't respond sometimes to what you want it to do.

If it isn't hard then it isn't really an achievement. I hate how pretty much every Steam game has an achievement for just starting the game, or playing for a certain amount of time. I think it says a lot about how devs feel about their game, when they think that just the act of playing it deserves an achievement.

There should be a "Douche of the Month" (or Year) achievement for those who demonstrate doucheness above and beyond the call of duty online. :p

^I agree.

However, playing everything in one sitting isn't an achievement either. Achievements should be something that is relatively hard to do but not annoying like collect 1,000,000,000 flags in Ass Creed 2.

Abolish achievements and focus on making a better game.

Or would nobody buy games due to lack of gamerpoints and e-dick?

How I feel about game achievements.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1A-Ymf1VYY"]‪: Achievements : Foamy The Squirrel‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

i find achievements pointless anyway. kill 50 aliens, then kill 100. fall into lava 20 times, do it 20 more times. bah. even if they are more creative than that it's boring especially since it already tells you what to do.

I don't mind achievements, they can be fun to go after. I do agree with many of the sentiments on stupidly easy achievements. Like "Complete the first mission" or "beat the game on normal" or "kill ___ boss" (who you need to kill to progress the game anyway).

TF2 in my opinion has some really fun achievements. For instance, one is to get a headshot kill on a scout while you are spy (the spy gun has no scope, and scout is by far the fastest class in the game, and the main playing strategy with it is to dodge enemy fire, and the spy gun won't one-hit a scout even with a headshot, so you need him to already be damaged). Took like 10 hours of playing spy to get it. Another is a sniper one to hit a player with three arrows without killing them, which is difficult because 3 arrow hits will kill any player, so you need to allow them to heal in between without dying. There are a whole bunch of 'taunt kill' achievements, where you kill someone using a taunt, which is where your player stands still for about 5 seconds talking smack about the other team, then does a melee attack that can't be aimed, and is vulnerable the entire time. That needs a lot of luck. There are also a bunch of achievements for mid-air kills, bouncing someone into the air and melee killing them before they land. Or getting melee kills when at <25 hp. It's not game-changing, but having these goofy achievements that take either a long time, a lot of skill, or a lot of luck adds a little more excitement to the game.

Frustrating games are frustrating.
I don't mind a bit of a challenge, but in the end, playing a game should be fun, satisfying and rewarding. If the game has to display a big message on the screen to tell me that I achieved something, it's doing something wrong. That sense of achievement should be part of the gameplay as you progress through the game.

If it isn't hard then it isn't really an achievement. I hate how pretty much every Steam game has an achievement for just starting the game, or playing for a certain amount of time. I think it says a lot about how devs feel about their game, when they think that just the act of playing it deserves an achievement.

No it started back when a trophy was give out to all who played sports. You are all winners!!! Super!!! Boot self esteem!!!

Actually being good at something should have meaning.

Abolish achievements and focus on making a better game.

Or would nobody buy games due to lack of gamerpoints and e-dick?

That's the thing, some games are great already, and achievements add to it. The bad games should just never have been made, but that's never gonna happen.

Achievements does add to the gameplay when it seems fun to do, it's the boring longwinded or idiot proof achievements that are dumb. (Which was why I didn't like achievements when they first came out)

Anyone remember how hard it was to unlock the Tofu character in Resident Evil 2? I've never played any of the Resident Evil series since, scarred for life.

Anyone remember how hard it was to unlock the Tofu character in Resident Evil 2? I've never played any of the Resident Evil series since, scarred for life.

All you needed to do was A rank a few missions? Pissed me off when I completed the tofu mission and all you got was... well not much...:( Should have been able to play the whole game as him! :D

Anyone who got all the achievements in Bullet Witch for the 360 should get an additional 1000 points for having the patience to actually play that crap.

Oh so you haven't played the one the article. And yet you're telling us how it's a piece of shit.

How does your foot taste?

And I am serious, or have you not played that one either? (you haven't)

Its not released until september, so that makes it kind of difficult. :p

So ill have to base it on the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuS2EHybRNY"]availible material[/ame]. Looks fantastic...:rolleyes:

All you needed to do was A rank a few missions? Pissed me off when I completed the tofu mission and all you got was... well not much...:( Should have been able to play the whole game as him! :D

I recall it being harder than that, like having to beat the entire game six times in a row while alternating between the characters on normal difficulty. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different unlock.

NO ONE GIVES A FUCK THAT YOU BEAT COD ON HARDCORE STFU ALREADY

Im sorry I hear that bullshit on this forum way too much let alone real life dbags. " Uh HUH I only play my games on hardcore" Fuck you no one cares.

I recall it being harder than that, like having to beat the entire game six times in a row while alternating between the characters on normal difficulty. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different unlock.

I gamefaqed it!

Tofu is: "Complete six scenarios and get an A ranking on one of them, then save your game."

So you only need 1 A rank :confused: I remember it being way more than that too...

Hunk was: "Complete scenario 1 and scenario 2 and get an A ranking on one of them, then save your game."

And all the weapon unlocks were beating various scenarios with A or B ranking under certain times.

I know that lowering the difficulty meant that getting higher ranks was much harder (and using % weapons/sprays and stuff)

He runs like Woody from Toy Story.

It looks like some indie developer who wanted to make his first levels he made on littlebigplanet into a kinect game using a toy story licence but failed at getting permission so had to use the first character that came out his head...:D

I don't give two cents about achievements. I play through a game and if I get them I get them.

I regretted this choice after playing batman arkham asylum. I didn't care about the Riddler trophies or riddles and just played the game. Then I found out you need all that crap to play the extra content and challenge levels, which turned out to be funner than I thought.

Foamy pretty much sums up my perspective on achievements. As far as i am concerned, the achievement system basically destroyed good games. All achievement systems do is encourage douchebag style gaming to chase "achievements" instead of actually trying to improve at the game. While I can ignore them in single player, they have basically ruined multiplayer where people just play like retards to get that one obscure achievement.

It looks like some indie developer who wanted to make his first levels he made on littlebigplanet into a kinect game using a toy story licence but failed at getting permission so had to use the first character that came out his head...:D

Yeah who's Twisted Pixel? They haven't made several several top notch games in a row in the last couple years, several winning awards and user best of votes?

They couldn't possibly be one of the most original and funny game developers around now, right?

How did you fit both feet in your mouth?

Do you always look at pre-release material and make declarations on quality from your dirt throne?

I remember when games used to work like this:

100% kills
100% items
100% secrets

What else do you really need?

Back