Been a while: Best PSU Offerings 750W-1KW

BostonHXC

Limp Gawd
I lurk these forums all the time but never log in. first post in a LOOOONG while. I currently use the PSU in my sig, this is the best PSU I have ever owned other than my FSP Blue Storm from back in 2004. I thought that I heard something about PC Power and Cooling being bought out by an other company... Is that true? What are the best PSUs out now between 750W and 1KW?

P.S. Its good to be back!

Once the Seasonic 80 plus Platinum rated units get tested I'd imagine they will be some of the best but over all the new DC-DC conversion style units are mostly looking to be very cool running and stable.

I'm running a Seasonic X750 gold reviewed here since I got it on sale at newegg a week or so back

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/25/seasonic_x_series_x750_power_supply_review/

It's fully modular and running a i7 2600k, 16GB ram, 2 hard drives and a msi 560ti hawk the fan doesn't even have to spin up since it runs so cool.

I used to use a PC&P 510sli and was a big fan for a long time but OCZ bought them a while back and since they haven't really released any new models that weren't rebadged or cheaper than other manufacturers and for me I'd rather only look at 80 Plus Gold or Platinum rated PSUs since the more efficient models have to be build better to hit those ratings under load and will do so while running cooler and normally quieter too.

Seasonic X series, Corsair AX series (which are the Seasonic X series), Antec HCP series, and Silverstone Strider series are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.

I'd say Super Flower Golden Green and all the rebrands(NZXT, Kingwin etc), Lepa G Series(Enermax Modu 87+) and PCP&C Silencer 760/910 + XFX Black Edition 750/850 as the best market offerings at the moment, performance wise and also from the price/performance perspective)obviously ignoring the various rebates other units get from time to time that make them excellent deals).

Depends on your useage and cabling desires.

I like modular units.
I have had three PC P&C models in the past but the 80mm fan noise was not tolerable after a while.

So......I use Corsair units almost exclusively. There are several "tiers" if you will, I'm sure all made by different OEMs. All models feature a nice small casing and 140mm fans for quiet operation.

TX or enthusiast models........non modular.
HX, a grade above and nearly all modular except for the 24 and 8 pin CPU, and one set of PCI-e cables.
AX, the top of their line and fully modular.

Shop them around, generally new egg will run deals with discounts or free shipping.

Also top of the line customer service. I totally fucked up a set of cables(my fault and I admitted it) on my AX-1200, sent an email fully expecting to pay for replacements, got two new sets in the mail free of charge form Corsair.

WOW! That is why I like this forum the most. The community is actually helpful. Thanks for the replies! I have had this silencer for 3+ years and dont know how much life it has left (24/7 365 for 3 years) so want to be prepared when it fails.

Depends on your useage and cabling desires.

I like modular units.
I have had three PC P&C models in the past but the 80mm fan noise was not tolerable after a while.

So......I use Corsair units almost exclusively. There are several "tiers" if you will, I'm sure all made by different OEMs. All models feature a nice small casing and 140mm fans for quiet operation.

TX or enthusiast models........non modular.
HX, a grade above and nearly all modular except for the 24 and 8 pin CPU, and one set of PCI-e cables.
AX, the top of their line and fully modular.

Shop them around, generally new egg will run deals with discounts or free shipping.

Also top of the line customer service. I totally fucked up a set of cables(my fault and I admitted it) on my AX-1200, sent an email fully expecting to pay for replacements, got two new sets in the mail free of charge form Corsair.

TX V2 series and AX series are made by Seasonic with the exception of the AX1200.

Corsair recently released a TX V2-based series that is modular.

Corsair customer service is indeed top-notch, they are hard to beat.

I'd like to see those, I bought a TX-850 V2 about two months ago and it wasn't modular.
I also have had two TX-750s that are not modular.

I searched newegg and lo and behold.......TX650,750 and 850 "M" models ARE new and modular.....this looks like a pretty nice price point. My old TX-750s are still alive and well and the newer 850 is a nice unit.

My understanding of the monikers is that the TX versions are the "cheaper" models and thus non-modular, while the HX and AX models are at least semi-modular and thus the higher price point.:p

Last edited:
I'd like to see those, I bought a TX-850 V2 about two months ago and it wasn't modular.
I also have had two TX-750s that are not modular.

I searched newegg and lo and behold.......TX650,750 and 850 "M" models ARE new and modular.....this looks like a pretty nice price point. My old TX-750s are still alive and well and the newer 850 is a nice unit.

My understanding of the monikers is that the TX versions are the "cheaper" models and thus non-modular, while the HX and AX models are at least semi-modular and thus the higher price point.:p

Nah, there's more to it than just modular or non-modular.

HX has higher efficiency and uses better components than the TX line. AX has higher efficiency and better components than the HX line. It's not just modular, partially modular, or fully modular that determines pricing.

That would be the TX M series, which is NOT the same design as the TX v2 series at all. Instead, the TX M series is made by CWT (platform is unknown at this point) rather than Seasonic.

Nah, there's more to it than just modular or non-modular.

On most of the non-modular vs modular models of the same wattage, there is about 10 dollars difference, 15 maximum.

I'm not sure how many "better" components you get for that 10 bucks?

In my book the modular sells better because that's what people want in their builds, thus more demand, and a higher price point.:D

On most of the non-modular vs modular models of the same wattage, there is about 10 dollars difference, 15 maximum.

If you're comparing the TX V2 line to the HX line, the price difference is more than ten dollars, and for your money you get modularity, a totally different design, better efficiency, and better performance. If you're talking about the TX V2 line compared to the TXM line, it is likely that the TX V2 units are actually better than the TXM models. If you're talking about the original TX line, then it's a bit pointless, since there is little point in buying any of those units considering the competition that's available.

In my book the modular sells better because that's what people want in their builds, thus more demand, and a higher price point.:D

I just told you exactly what those better components and design do.

Better efficiency, better performance (i.e. voltage and ripple control) etc...

Why don't you read a couple [H] reviews of power supplies before you start giving advice here?

I just told you exactly what those better components and design do.

Better efficiency, better performance (i.e. voltage and ripple control) etc...

Why don't you read a couple [H] reviews of power supplies before you start giving advice here?

Yes, yes you did............:cool:
I read all of them.

I certainly realize that the AX and HX are differently constructed and most likely of better efficiency and quality than the TX models. But WITHIN a model line, I would again say that the difference is 10 bucks and mostly likely based solely on modularity......which is my point between the TX-V2 and the TXM as Zero points out.

I am not a PSU "expert" and I bet you are not either. We can both read as can the guy who asked the question. should he want more I bet he can go to the reviews here or on jonnyguru and find out all sorts of details.

I merely pointed out the obvious differences. Sorry if I disturbed you. I gave no advice. i just pointed out the three tiers of PSUs and the modular vs non-modular.

Yes, yes you did............:cool:
I read all of them.

I certainly realize that the AX and HX are differently constructed and most likely of better efficiency and quality than the TX models. But WITHIN a model line, I would again say that the difference is 10 bucks and mostly likely based solely on modularity......which is my point between the TX-V2 and the TXM as Zero points out.

I am not a PSU "expert" and I bet you are not either. We can both read as can the guy who asked the question. should he want more I bet he can go to the reviews here or on jonnyguru and find out all sorts of details.

I merely pointed out the obvious differences. Sorry if I disturbed you. I gave no advice. i just pointed out the three tiers of PSUs and the modular vs non-modular.

Your original statement read as the only differences between the TX, HX, and AX lines were the degree of modularity, which I was correcting as simply untrue. You said nothing about comparing the same model line, which as was pointed out are really two different designs, so they cannot actually be considered the same model line.

Back