ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
product website: ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT

Z68M-ITXHT.jpg

this looks promising, news report about it on VR-Zone

Now that's confusing! Considering the H67M-ITX/HT has WiFi and the non-HT doesn't, this board should be named differently.

Woot! I'm an ASRock fanboy! The Z68M-ITX/HT will be my next project. Guess it's time to sell my main system (again).

It should be cheaper than the Zotac, and maybe it will be a better overclocker? Would be nice if it had DisplayPort, or at least not limit the HDMI 1.4 to 1920×1200.

H67M-ITX/HT has WiFi and the non-HT doesn't, this board should be named differently.
I was thinking the same, but maybe it deserves the HT suffix due to the bundled IR remote & receiver?

It should be cheaper than the Zotac, and maybe it will be a better overclocker? Would be nice if it had DisplayPort, or at least not limit the HDMI 1.4 to 1920×1200.

I was thinking the same, but maybe it deserves the HT suffix due to the bundled IR remote & receiver?

but if i was building a HTPC I would go for the H67 board. Since the Z68 is a performance board, skip the home theatre stuff and make it LANable

I'm not too bothered about wi-fi, it could be added via USB if absolutely necessary. I guess ASRock have settled on a feature set that would suit a gaming/media PC, useful for a lot of bedroom and living rooms. H67 is fine, but too much of a compromise for gamers, so this ASRock fills a niche.

I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

Haven't had any ASRock boards in the past but their UEFI has to be better then Zotac's :p

Last edited:
I'm not too bothered about wi-fi, it could be added via USB if absolutely necessary. I guess ASRock have settled on a feature set that would suit a gaming/media PC, useful for a lot of bedroom and living rooms. H67 is fine, but too much of a compromise for gamers, so this ASRock fills a niche.
Agreed! No big deal the absence of WiFi, even though a mSATA slot would have done a big difference...:rolleyes:
And that UEFI WILL make the difference!!!:cool:

Looks like a good board.

Hopefully the UEFI is improved. It is easy to get the ASRock H67M-ITX to throttle and some options are there but don't even work (Turbo Boost Power limits will not go above 120).

I've solved the throttling issue after a lot of experimenting with cooling. But I'm not even overclocking. Hopefully the Z68 model can handle the demands of overclockers.

Don't expect the remote to work. I have their h67m-ge/ht board which uses the same remote setup. It has a special connector, it's not actually usb, it's the white connector between the two usb headers. If you look at the reviews for my board out 8 I think it was 4 said the remote didn't work. I bought mine open box and everything worked fine except for: you guessed it, the remote.

Don't expect the remote to work. I have their h67m-ge/ht board which uses the same remote setup. It has a special connector, it's not actually usb, it's the white connector between the two usb headers. If you look at the reviews for my board out 8 I think it was 4 said the remote didn't work. I bought mine open box and everything worked fine except for: you guessed it, the remote.

First u have to plug the front panel usb header to the dedicated remote connector on the mobo, then you have to plug the IR receiver to one of the front panel USB which connected to the special header on the board for the remote, only one of the USB port will work with the receiver, and that USB port will not work with any other USB devices. And you have to plug the IR receiver before powering up ur machine if I rememberd correctly.

First u have to plug the front panel usb header to the dedicated remote connector on the mobo, then you have to plug the IR receiver to one of the front panel USB which connected to the special header on the board for the remote, only one of the USB port will work with the receiver, and that USB port will not work with any other USB devices. And you have to plug the IR receiver before powering up ur machine if I rememberd correctly.

Yeah it just doesn't work, I have a another ir receiver that the remote works on so I know it's not the remote itself. I plugged a flash drive into both front ports so I know which one is the ir port and then I did exactly as you said, still doesn't work. Then again my mobo was open box and that was probably the reason it was returned, but I can live without the remote for 50% off the mobo.

why such a bundle for a z68 board? if i want to build a htpc i'll just go with h67 and low power cpus like i3s

Yeah it just doesn't work, I have a another ir receiver that the remote works on so I know it's not the remote itself. I plugged a flash drive into both front ports so I know which one is the ir port and then I did exactly as you said, still doesn't work. Then again my mobo was open box and that was probably the reason it was returned, but I can live without the remote for 50% off the mobo.

well, in that case, bad luck :(

Any reason why mobo makers aren't putting the SATA ports to ALL 6Gb? Considering you can run 3Gb hard drives through the 6Gb ports? Wish they would just make it all 6Gb sata. Would make an awesome iTX home server...

Any reason why mobo makers aren't putting the SATA ports to ALL 6Gb? Considering you can run 3Gb hard drives through the 6Gb ports? Wish they would just make it all 6Gb sata. Would make an awesome iTX home server...

You realize that very few things can actually transfer data that fast. Its like how PCIe gfx cards see around only a 5% drop in performance running on a 4x lane.

Unless that server was using SSDs, there is no advantage on mechanical drives using 6Gbps ports. Admittedly, saying you had all 6Gbps ports sounds cooler!

My mobo has 8 56Gbps ports. This has come in handy with my 5000 rpm drives.

Any reason why mobo makers aren't putting the SATA ports to ALL 6Gb?
Because current intel mainstream chipsets only have two 6Gbps ports and that doesn't look like it will be changing any time soon. The current intel high end platform doesn't have sata 6Gbps in the chipset at all (though that will be changing soon and the new high end platform will apparently have 14 sata ports of which 10 will be 6Gbps).

Therefore right now any intel based board that wants more than 2 6Gb ports has to use a seperate controller. These controllers cost money, take up space (which is at a premium on a mini-itx board), take up one or more PCIe lanes (which are at a premium on large feature heavy boards) and from what I can gather don't perform very well (afaict some of them perform so poorly that they negate the point of 6Gbps).

AMD on the other hand are going all out with sata 6G and there are some AMD mini-itx boards where all ports are 6G. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Howdy,

What is the best Blue Ray burner that could go with this board? IDE or SATA?

Cheers
Chumby

We do some website design.... just trying to think of the best way to give everything (video, wefiles, pics) etc to the client in a hard format, without having to burn heaps of disks.

Thought it may be good to slip a BR Burner into my HTPC that I am building just in case I need later on...

Cheers
Chumby

Was gonna pick up the zotac for my shuttle, but it can't hurt to see the price on this first and maybe save some coin.

Back