RIM Cutting 11 Percent of Workforce

HardOCP News

[H] News
RIM plans on cutting eleven percent of its workforce but, oddly enough, will keep its two CEOs. Kinda makes you wonder how many jobs could be saved if they axed one of the CEOs.

The announcement of 2,000 job cuts on Monday came a month after the Canadian company revealed that it would reduce headcount for the first time in a decade. One analyst said the job cuts were slightly deeper than expected but were key to RIM's recovery from a slump triggered by product delays and intense competition from Apple's iPad and iPhone as well as devices powered by Google's Android software.

Talk about a wake up call to companies in general. That would be an interesting study if one was ever funded. 1 person vs % of workfork layoff.

Yeah, that's awesome. Instead of trying to make your product innovating and/or relavent to the current market you can fire a bunch of people instead!! Yeah, great thinking for a company with two CEOs who are driving their company into the ground.

it's kinda sad to hear, mostly because RIM and google are two of the largest tech hiring companies in the area (8 out of 10 folks I went to university with are all at RIM).

title of article should have been "unemployed less likely to get RIM jobs"

I find that blackberry phones are still the easiest to manage for an IT standpoint.

However, over half the people at the office have switch to Android (the techie types) or iPhones (the marketing types) over the last couple years.

Guess that's my fault for setting up active sync :)

Is it still cool to own a CrackBerry?

sadly... yes it still is, not with businesses as much anymore, but with the chatterbox socialites.... which is surprising considering the huge loss of market share they've had, but over half the people I know who bought cell's in the last year all went with crack berries just because of BBM, and when I was buying my new android phone they would laugh at me and say but it doesn't have BBM!

Both CEOs receive around 1.2 million in salary, 5 to one, 8.9 million to the other worth of stock options, and $10,000 classified as 'Other' pay. So add all that up, divide by the average pay at RIM, and there's your answer.

When you listen to what Apple said about business and iPhone, corporations are letting apple phones there. In other words, corporations would be happy for its staff to pay their own monthly and to service their own phone than to supply a corporate-issued blackberry.

Apple doesn't give stats on actual number of phones allowed in corporations, but RIM lost about 1/2 market share in the U.S./Canada. RIM still dominates overall in Canada and in the developing world.

Again, Apple's making billions in China, so it is looking like apple will want to start competing in the pre-paid space. There's a market for those 3GS devices!

Word on the street is that there's not enough cutting at the management level. What I think RIM should do is look at how they can be nimble enough to release a new refreshed device in 3 months, not 12-24 months.

In hindsight, that late refresh cycle was a result of not wanting to change: RIM had to change its supplier for the processor, so that took a while. Further, OS6, OS7 is pretty buggy and only now with the .615 release is OS6 a bit better. Still, I hear of compliaints about the browser.

I actually like both my BlackBerries. I've got a Curve 9250 that's a company phone and while dated it works for what I need, and a Torch which is my personal phone.

If the Torch had a higher resolution, and higher quality screen as well as a little more horsepower under the hood It'd easily be my phone of choice.

I'm not interested in Android these days, the markets too segregated and it's just kind of a cluster fuck, though if I did pick any Android handset it would definitely be an HTC.

I'm up for a new phone in October and I'm either gonna go with an iPhone 5 or a Nokia WP7. If RIM could give me a Torch 2 with at least a single 1ghz+ CPU and a better screen they'd keep a customer.

iOS is definitely the best mobile experience, imo, the only thing keeping me away from an iPhone is the need for iTunes.

Blackberries are great for work purposes, kind of crap for the casual phone user though, I dumped my curve two years ago, I don't miss it.

Black Berry is going the way that Palm did, they will get consumed by one of the bigger companies, I hope Google, or one of the Android giants buy them up, I wouldn't want to see Apple gain even more patents it would use to strangle a market.

Im only a few blocks from the RIM buildings here in Waterloo and i don't support them any more for my IT needs, my users are moving to Android for the most part.

RIM needs a new OS something new and exciting, they need new hardware, the cheap feeling devices dont help sales, sure they will take more drop than most other devices but the look and feel lke cheap crap. high res amoled and gorilla glass pls. the "app store" for blackberry is awful, poor selection and anything good cost more than android or apple stores. and they still want you to pay for BES server and also have to pay Bell/Rogers 10$ a month to have them allow us to use BES... Android and apple... free

they have 2 CEO's and they still can figure it out, go to the local futureshop and look at the phones that sell, and take some designers with you

cant edit but the "remove battery" fix from my old pager style blackberry says its still their answer to fix all the damn issues with them! 8 years later for me and i still get remove battery to fix your issues... so annoying

cant edit but the "remove battery" fix from my old pager style blackberry says its still their answer to fix all the damn issues with them! 8 years later for me and i still get remove battery to fix your issues... so annoying

Good 'Ol Battery Pop. :p

Back