Stupid Tech Crime of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, this guy is not only an idiot, he's also cheap. Hopefully the $3k he was trying to get will cover the 15 years and $500,000 fine. Thanks to Joe S for the linkage.

A former employee of a website content delivery company has agreed to plead guilty to a charge of foreign economic espionage for providing company trade secrets to an undercover FBI agent posing as an Israeli intelligence officer, federal prosecutors announced Thursday.

I'm not really sure this is a "tech crime" as much as a crime perpetrated by a guy who works at a tech company. Still, pretty dumb of him.

Stupid, on so many levels.

The one question I always have in cases like this are, why exactly did it take an 18 month investigation? Didn't this guy basically stand up and scream "HEY HERE I AM! I'M BREAKING THE LAW!!!"

Is this a matter of job security or something since the agent knows that he'll have a job for as long as he can drag this stuff out?

We've had cases locally were the police buy drugs off a low level dealer, that 75% of the people in town knew was a dealer, for 3 years before actually arresting him. Now I understand trying to work your way up the ladder, but if you aint moved up a single rung in 1 years why do you think you will after 2?

Israeli..? Seriously?

They had Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, China.. and they chose Israel?

And seriously, 15 years for trying to sell something worth 3,000$?

Israeli..? Seriously?
They had Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, China.. and they chose Israel?

*cough* Just out of curiosity do you know how Israel acquired its nuclear arms program, that it denies, for monetary reasons (the US has this pesky rule about sending financial aid to countries that have nuclear arms...)?

Back