Intel Investigates Possible Bug in SSD 320 Drives

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel is following up on reports coming in on its own Intel Forum over a potential bug causing the solid state drive to fail, causing data loss. Intel has authorized customers who have experienced the failure, to receive free replacement drives.

The SSD 320 was released in March and is being used in both PCs and Apple Mac computers. The drive, which has received positive reviews, is offered with capacities ranging from 40GB to 600GB

Last edited:
Intel quality? Yeah sure. Another firmware failure.. Worst thing is that the drives are fitted with caps that should let it save all data before loosing power. Megafail.:(

I wonder how AnandTech is going to spin this.(Intel has the best reliability. This is a feature..)

And it is already named, the "8MB" bug, support thread over at Intel here.

Intel quality? Yeah sure. Another firmware failure.. Worst thing is that the drives are fitted with caps that should let it save all data before loosing power. Megafail.:(

I wonder how AnandTech is going to spin this.(Intel has the best reliability. This is a feature..)

And it is already named, the "8MB" bug, support thread over at Intel here.

What are you ranting on about? that Intel didn't pick up every single error and bug in its testing? Maybe next time they should wave a magic wand before it leaves the factory.

At least they aren't OCZ. You know, switching their chips as a cost cutting measure in turn sacrificing performance.

What are you ranting on about? that Intel didn't pick up every single error and bug in its testing? Maybe next time they should wave a magic wand before it leaves the factory.

At least they aren't OCZ. You know, switching their chips as a cost cutting measure in turn sacrificing performance.

Try reading up before you answer. A bug thats affect the drive to fail within 15 hours of starting to use it and you think Intel shouldn't have picked it up? I wonder if they even bothered to test it, with so short times before failure. Even if you for some reasons loathe other manufacturers this is a mega cockup.

My drive is about 50 days old and died today
My drive lasted 15 hours or so.
and his died exactly 1 month into use
newest firmware died today after 2 1/2 months usage
it failed, showing 8 MB space, after 2 months

When are consumers going to say enough is enough to being beta testers/guinea pigs for these companies?
Wait 6 months and then buy the product. Let someone else be the guinea pig.

See: SB motherboards and Iphone 4 antenna issues, just to name a few recent flubs.

When are consumers going to say enough is enough to being beta testers/guinea pigs for these companies?

See: SB motherboards and Iphone 4 antenna issues, just to name a few recent flubs.

What happens when everybody stops buying new products on this premise?

Everybody won't stop - you know this.

If the companies tested the products more thoroughly we wouldn't need any kind of premise at all.

I do know this, I was just pointing out that "Just don't buy anything until other people have tested it" isn't exactly the best advice. I agree that products should undergo extensive testing before they're even announced, let alone released. This is becoming an all-too-common trend.

Reading reviews on almost anything there is always a handful of people saying "It died after 2 months.." I've never had that problem, well, except one 850 watt BFG PSU.

Reading reviews on almost anything there is always a handful of people saying "It died after 2 months.." I've never had that problem, well, except one 850 watt BFG PSU.

I'm the same way. I always see people saying how products don't last and die within a couple months. All I've ever had die on me is a single stick of RAM.

I do know this, I was just pointing out that "Just don't buy anything until other people have tested it" isn't exactly the best advice. I agree that products should undergo extensive testing before they're even announced, let alone released. This is becoming an all-too-common trend.

I'm curious - What would your advice be?

What happens when everybody stops buying new products on this premise?

Its what some of us have been saying for years, quit buying and let them no why. Poor QC.Hell everyone has email, and will only take one minute of your time. I 'm sure things would improve.

Didn't meant to say what I said, but there was no edit button for some reason?

I just meant to say it's not the ideal solution for this problem.

Yea the lack of the edit button gets frustrating sometimes. I hate posting back to back when I screw up the post and need to make a change.

I wait. Did it with my HTC Evo (got hw revision 4) and my Asus Transformer .. early adopters pay more and deal with so much more.

I'm the same way. I always see people saying how products don't last and die within a couple months. All I've ever had die on me is a single stick of RAM.

Yeah, the thing is shit like this happens, and we only hear the few who are facing problems simply because for everyone else, we don't go around posting messages saying hey it works. Only those who had issue would post comments about it.

I've had hardwares that were DOA, but thats what the RMA service is for. No big deal really.

Typical Intel. Release hardware then wait months afterwards to tell people its defective

Intel must be doing something wrong if firmware bugs are still present, or a desgin flaw in the controller.

I'm looking at getting the 600 GB version for my x220t next month. Might wait a bit longer to see what comes of this.

Intel has authorized customers who have experienced the failure, to receive free replacement drives.

Well that's cool, most companies would sit back for 6-12 months blaming everyone else and claiming "we never heard of this problem" on their tech support line.

They are replacing the drive...so I dont get all the hate. Yes, more testing could be done. But, at least they make it right when it breaks.

News to me, although not surprising at all. Is there a way to tell what OCZ SSD version someone actually got? (Just curious if my OCZ 120GB Max IOPS SSD was included in this shittt).

They are replacing the drive...so I dont get all the hate. Yes, more testing could be done. But, at least they make it right when it breaks.
Maybe thats what cloud would be good for.Intel will sell you a ssd and if it fails you have a copy of it sitting in a cloud somewhere free of charge ready to be downloaded when failure arrives. This free cloud service is good for as long as the warranty is good, after that you decide if you want to pay for the cloud service or not.

Maybe thats what cloud would be good for.Intel will sell you a ssd and if it fails you have a copy of it sitting in a cloud somewhere free of charge ready to be downloaded when failure arrives. This free cloud service is good for as long as the warranty is good, after that you decide if you want to pay for the cloud service or not.
You heard it here first so does that count as a copyright.:D

Yeah, the thing is shit like this happens, and we only hear the few who are facing problems simply because for everyone else, we don't go around posting messages saying hey it works. Only those who had issues would post negative comments about it on the internet instead of talking to the manufacturer.

Fixed

That's a very realistic solution there... especially with all ISP's enforcing a 250GB cap that about half the forum goers here seem to think is reasonable (aka: only pirates need it).
/sarcasm off

Do you have 3 months to retrieve your backup of their 600GB model? :rolleyes:

That's a very realistic solution there... especially with all ISP's enforcing a 250GB cap that about half the forum goers here seem to think is reasonable (aka: only pirates need it).
/sarcasm off

Do you have 3 months to retrieve your backup of their 600GB model? :rolleyes:

All I can do is try to figure out why cloud is such a good thing, as of yet I still can't think of one that makes any sense.

People want new tech faster, this is the price they pay. Early adopters know the risks.

All I can do is try to figure out why cloud is such a good thing, as of yet I still can't think of one that makes any sense.

It puts distributed computing in the hands of your average Joe at a low cost.

Need to crack someone's WPA encrypted network, but don't have a complex full of computers? Well now you too can have one at a very low cost per minute :p.

Look at all the Intel fanboys, stop buying products for the name. Intel isn't consistently the fastest or most durable SSD. Add to that, a bug that causes hardware failure on top of the firmware fiasco that killed HDDs. Hardware does fail I understand that, but this isn't a case of simple hardware failure. They didn't test thoroughly enough and they missed a crucial bug.

Learn your lesson and move on before Intel gets you a third time on SSDs and it becomes a shame on you situation. Yes they replaced them, but did you expect anything else. It's a bug they missed that caused the hardware to fail. Simple PR logic says they can't afford not to offer you a new one.

Bashing another SSD maker like OCZ doesn't improve Intels standing here. It only puts them in the same group, making bad decision/poor testing and should warn you to stay away. Instead you defend them and continue to buy their products when these issues never should've made it out of the testing phase.

TLDR: It's sad how far Fanboys will go to support their company from Pentium 4s to SSDs.

Back