QuakeCon Forums Hacked

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the QuakeCon forums have been hacked. If you've ever registered there for any reason, the site administrator is advising you to change your passwords.

In recent days, a hacker carried out an unlawful intrusion of the forums.quakecon.org site, compromising usernames and passwords. While we have taken appropriate steps to protect the new forums from attack, we recommend anyone using their old credentials on another site to change their passwords immediately.

News to me.....but I can't say I really give a shit about QC anymore. :(

One of the few who doesnt wonder why (as an attender of many years in the past). It has been in steady decline.

This story though is a reminder why I use passwords on specific forums completely separate to each other and separate to anything important. Everyone should.

So the last Quake was released nearly 6 years ago...and did that game even have any relevant MP? I certainly never even tried it, and I cut my FPS teeth on Doom and Quake. id hasn't put out anything decent since Q2 (Rainbox Quake, aka Q3, doesn't count). Do something cool and make this relevant again...I don't give a shit about 60 FPS gaming on a console.

Even id isn't releasing games that support proper LAN co-op and multiplayer. Way to support your own convention. Anyone up for an [H] cookout that weekend?

I clicked the link on the news article to go to bluesnews website, and it redirected to something like qwpgroup.com and I got a symantec pop up that fakeav was just blocked...

I clicked the link on the news article to go to bluesnews website, and it redirected to something like qwpgroup.com and I got a symantec pop up that fakeav was just blocked...
^^

also, its the webmasters fault for not updating the forum software. willing to bet it was running vbulletin 4.0.x-4.1.2 and got hit with the Group sql injection exploit.

Oh well...you would have known the first year they decided to charge for admission...lol.

Just FYI, they moved the "official" forums to Bethesda's website as a subforum and have to comply with a barrage of company censorship and heavy handedness so as not to get sued. We've gone ahead as the community and started up a fully volunteer quakecon forums again - the official unofficial forums www.qconforums.org

Even the script kiddies are getting pretty good these days.
Automated tools are doing a lot of heavy lifting now (wapiti etc.)

This is crap! I had asked Xipher a couple of days ago on IRC and he told me that they were compromised, of course this was like the 10th-11th I guess? The news report is on the 14th. :confused:

Oh and, =HPSF=RMP, pylorns, and koolaidkitten, WASSUP!?! :D

Back